4X4 TDi in the snow

Just though I would say, as a nurse with an Octavia 4x4 TDi who had to deal with the weather last week, my Octavia 4X4 TDi was an absolute LEGEND!!

Haven't had a need to test the 4x4ness since having it, but what a trooper!! I'm hooked by 4x4's now :P

• Like 2

Don't forget that weather appropriate tyres can make a big difference too. I am rather tempted by a 4x4 though.

Edited by bspman
  • Like 1

Just now, bspman said:

Don't forget that weather appropriate tyres can make a big difference too.

Yes deffo - if only the UK had reliably bad weather each winter time :) would be worth the cost.

• Like 1

YAS!!! Great photo of the beast in action :)

I took great pleasure cruising up a hill and passing an M4 that was stuck! Shouldn't laugh, but it had been a very long day!!

• Like 1

My FWD Octavia with cross climates on never skipped a beat and had plenty of traction in the white stuff too :) 

They are almost at the end of their life having 3mm or so left, definitely going to be putting some more on!

• Like 1

My scout with winters on will pull itself through snow up to the undercarriage without problem. Have gone past a few landies struggling on Low profile summer rubber at one time or another.

Just now, Anddenton said:

My scout with winters on will pull itself through snow up to the undercarriage without problem. Have gone past a few landies struggling on Low profile summer rubber at one time or another.

What winter tyres do you use?

Just looking at the Cross Climates - I guess you could have them swapped out over the summer months and just have them put on for the winter months?

4 minutes ago, Trail71 said:

What winter tyres do you use?

Just looking at the Cross Climates - I guess you could have them swapped out over the summer months and just have them put on for the winter months?

Nangkang SV2, cost effective but carry the three mountain and snowflake markings and are very good in snow. I bought a cheap set of Audi alloys from eBay (It seems Audi drivers are more likely than Skoda to upgrade their wheels and sell the originals on so there are more of them around) and swap then over every May/November

Edited by Anddenton
Typo

3 hours ago, Trail71 said:

Just though I would say, as a nurse with an Octavia 4x4 TDi who had to deal with the weather last week, my Octavia 4X4 TDi was an absolute LEGEND!!

Haven't had a need to test the 4x4ness since having it, but what a trooper!! I'm hooked by 4x4's now :P

Yes they are impressive aren't they!

We've had ours ten years now and only ever not got it once in 18 inches of snow and that was more because I had no need to.  We switched to the cross climates a couple of years ago and this year its been pretty much unstoppable and, in snow almost like driving on normal roads.

• Like 1

Mine before I swept the snow off and took it for a spin (didn't bother clearing the drive) and the hill it easily went up...

IMG_20180301_095504.jpg

IMG_20180301_095514.jpg

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paulvrs200 said:

And another picture 

image.jpeg

Mines an estate and I love all the space - but it does look like a dad wagon. Your style looks very sleek :)

I think some winter tyres could be on the list for me, mine like many other 2WD vehicles couldn't make it up the rather steep hill by my house.

I wish I'd taken a nice snow picture of the car after seeing the great pictures above.

It does regularly snow around here, normally no more than two weeks over the entire winter, but this is the first time I've actually had snow cover the Scout whilst under the carport. The snow on the drive was approximately 25cm or more. 

I did not use the Scout that much during the snow, not so much because I didn't think it could handle it, but more the amount of idiots that were driving about and generally being an insurance claim waiting to happen. 

20180228_152202.jpg

Just to add my thoughts.

For the last few years, come November, on go the winter tyres - 205/55/16 on steel rims with no wheel trims to clog up with snow. Just have to remember indicated 30mph is actualy 27mph etc.

Using (back) some old Vredestines Snow Trac 2 (4mm) and some budget (front) 6mm. Don't care if they get chewed up since cheap ! The potholes are breeding like rabbits around where I live !

Goes everwhere I want with no worries about getting stuck, except behind  wallys in  expensive 4x4s driving on summer tyres.  Easily overtaken since they are going nowhere fast !

End of March (should be OK, hopefully !) back on with alloys & Avon Z7s. Electric car jack makes c/o easy life !

Lloyd

• Like 1