More Scout newbie questions

Thanks all for helping me with my battery issues.

Working through my list of queries the next question is..

What does the arrow mean/do below the D/S position on the auto gear lever? 

(My last auto car was a MKIII Cortina with a 'T' stick - rusty metallic green with peeling black vinyl roof!) Lol

Edited by Johnfella

It just indicates that you pull the lever back against spring pressure to toggle between Drive and Sport. Whereas before, the gear selector had a separate Sport mode, now there is this. If the car is in Eco and you don’t want it to coast, pull the lever back and it will engage Drive with no coasting (top right corner of the maxidot will read D(gear) instead of E(gear) or D(gear) instead of S(gear). It’s a handy feature :)

In D if you push the Lever to the Passenger side then you are in semi-automatic mode. Push forward to go up the box 1-6 and pull back to come down the box 6-1. Same as Steering Wheel paddles if you have them. In semi-automatic mode the Gearbox will still protect against stupid changes and also down shift if you pull up to a stop at lights in 4th for example - it will select 1 or 2 for you to pull away.

Semi auto mode (I just call it Manual mode as it’s as close as you’ll get) is over to the left of the D/S position, you just tap it forward or back to change gear against spring pressure. It always returns to the centre and you can put it back in Drive by pulling the lever to the right. You don’t have to press the inhibitor switch on the gear-lever to do this. The indicators by the gear-lever will light up to show you what you are doing and the maxidot will show you the gear in the top right corner. Instead of showing D(gear) it will just give you the gear. Be aware the auto box still has a gear shift indicator, so when it’s in manual mode it will nanny you to change gear and indicate what gear it thinks you should be in. I find that incredibly patronising as it Sport mode it holds on to the gears far longer than is necessary, but it wants you to change up early!!

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks to all your help the Scout goes in next week to have a new battery fitted as the dealer admitted that they hadn't actually supplied a new one despite swearing black was blue that they had! (I thought the days of the dodgy used car salesman had passed, but it seems not!).

I've insisted that they supply me with the battery manufacturer's warranty document and that they also fully check out the charging system. 

Going forward I'm still struggling with the owners' manual which I find very confusing!

As usual your help is sought please......

My Scout has the "Winter Pack" but I'm yet to identify which of the 3 knobs turns the window heaters on as the left one apoears to have a heated window symbol in both the top and bottom sector where the second knob also seems to have one!

Which knob/sector turns the heated rear window on and which controls the front one?

And therefore what does the extra one do?

What I could do with is a complete "idiot's guide" to the entire heating control system!

Cheers,

John

Oh that's where they are - thank you!

But what then are the functions of the three knob sections with heated window icons on?

I'm still confused!

Cheers,

John

33 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

Hi all, thanks to all your help the Scout goes in next week to have a new battery fitted as the dealer admitted that they hadn't actually supplied a new one despite swearing black was blue that they had! (I thought the days of the dodgy used car salesman had passed, but it seems not!).

I've insisted that they supply me with the battery manufacturer's warranty document and that they also fully check out the charging system. 

Going forward I'm still struggling with the owners' manual which I find very confusing!

As usual your help is sought please......

My Scout has the "Winter Pack" but I'm yet to identify which of the 3 knobs turns the window heaters on as the left one apoears to have a heated window symbol in both the top and bottom sector where the second knob also seems to have one!

Which knob/sector turns the heated rear window on and which controls the front one?

And therefore what does the extra one do?

What I could do with is a complete "idiot's guide" to the entire heating control system!

Cheers,

John

climate.jpg.4493a43ef4418af04526b91434e206ff.jpg

Middle rotary control, top button turns on electric heated front screen.

Left Rotary control, bottom button turns on electric heated rear screen.

Left Rotary control, top button puts climate control into a mode that will attempt to demist windows as quickly as possible.

Auto puts the climate control is the best mode to obtain your preset temperature

AC turns aircon on and off but always leave it on.

Setup or Menu in later models enters the climate options.

Lee

Thanks Lee. It's all becoming a bit clearer now! Shame the author of the owner's manual didn't explain the functions as comprehensively as you! I'll give them a try in the morning! Cheers, John

P.S. Is there any way I can turn off the stop/start as a default rather than having to turn it of manually each time I start the car? I find it very disconcerting if I forget and it kicks in!

4 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

Thanks Lee. It's all becoming a bit clearer now! Shame the author of the owner's manual didn't explain the functions as comprehensively as you! I'll give them a try in the morning! Cheers, John

P.S. Is there any way I can turn off the stop/start as a default rather than having to turn it of manually each time I start the car? I find it very disconcerting if I forget and it kicks in!

S/S can be permanently disabled using VCDS software - I've done it. It's not possible to have it off as default and enabled by switching it on unfortunately.

Permanently off is of course reversible if car is being returned or sold.

On 3/7/2018 at 00:58, SashaGrace said:

It just indicates that you pull the lever back against spring pressure to toggle between Drive and Sport. Whereas before, the gear selector had a separate Sport mode, now there is this. If the car is in Eco and you don’t want it to coast, pull the lever back and it will engage Drive with no coasting (top right corner of the maxidot will read D(gear) instead of E(gear) or D(gear) instead of S(gear). It’s a handy feature :)

If mine is in Eco it goes into sports mode, not Drive.

Thank you for that. Although I've switched to Eco I don't think I've actually experienced coasting yet as only been using it for short runs. When does it kick in? Having driven for nearly 50 years in cars with rubbish brakes it was always frowned upon to "coast". Is it a safe practice?

On my 18 vRS the gear selector indicator in the Maxidot (Display in the Instrument cluster) drops the Gear Number and just shows E.

Once throttle or brakes is re-applied then coast disengages and the current gear is displayed again.

• Like 1

Thanks Kev. I'm just a bit old-fashioned as coasting downhill was always said to be dangerous. If I'm likely to be going down any steep ones I might temporarily change into Sport mode to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnfella said:

Thanks Kev. I'm just a bit old-fashioned as coasting downhill was always said to be dangerous. If I'm likely to be going down any steep ones I might temporarily change into Sport mode to be on the safe side.

Being a diesel, I get a lot of engine braking power so use sports mode a lot for engine braking. Can get a bit noisy at times but always in full control & saves on the brakes.

I tried toggling from ECO and saw E1 turn to S1 and then back to E1 in the dash display. However only did this with the car at rest so didn't sctually experience what the driving effect was. Will have to change mode to standard and then see what happens and try all whilst actually moving! 

It’s odd how some cars are different, there’s been some discrepancies about how the drive modes affect the DSG box. On some cars it seems they will remember the setting if, say, you left the car in Sport mode but selected Drive when you start the car again, and some others won’t, they’ll revert back to Sport.