Range Rover Evoque pros/cons

boylers11

My wife REALLY wants a 16 plate Evoque, as it looks pretty and is really comfy apparently. She's looking to buy as opposed to hiring.
My thoughts are: depreciation, cost of service and longevity of parts.
Her current car is a '10 plate DS3 with 100k owned from new.
Does anyone have any advice for/against?

20 minutes ago, boylers11 said:

Thanks Keith, but £££ to service. She doesn't want it to be flashy, she wants a comfy, reliable, 'smart' 4x4 for occasional field use and mainly motorway miles.

Option.

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/karoq/suv-15-tsi-150ps-edition-dsg-q4bkdpa

ŠKODA Karoq SUV 1.5 TSI (150ps) Edition DSG

That's smart Keith, but a bit more than she's looking to spend. I suggested a 4x4 Yeti, but she doesn't like how they look. I love the look of them myself!

weve had a quick look at CRVs, too, but is there anything else worth considering? The more compact, the better really.

Tbf, the evoque is a better looking lump than a Karoq...

And they are surprisingly comfy inside, and reasonably decent in fields..

I know what she means.

However there’s always a but around the real long term cost of ownership for me, and second hand ones out here are silly money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. She'd be piling 10k+ miles per year and would be looking to keep it 6-7 years at least. I just think £22k on a car plus likely expensive servicing and parts, trying to sell a 10 year old 150k miles Evoque isn't going to end well for us financially.

id prefer her to get a second hand Yeti and lose much less money! Maybe I'm just being tight.

Cheap motoring is in the second hand market if only for the fact that there are so many of them struggling to find a buyer.

I’d hate to be trying to sell one privately.

Have you thought of an Evoque Looky Likey, a Suzuki Vitara 1.4S?

Retail they are around £22.5k, but I'm sure you could get them via a broker for approximately £18k.

There is already a Suzuki Vitara thread elsewhere on here if you want an owners opinion. 

Boylers11,  Has she actually borrowed one yet and been for an extended drive parking it etc to know how comfortable it is?

If not she should, she might then find the issues with them that some dislike.

I have a friend on his 3rd one, each equally as annoying as i tell him, but then he never uses it much other than to go shopping.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, boylers11 said:

"...she wants a comfy, reliable," 

Instead you're getting an Evoque?

I have friends who work for JLR who wouldn't even buy one based on the sheer number of electrical failures with them.  The Jag F-Pace is no better either.  

A 16 plate will have 1 yr of manufacturers warranty remaining.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boylers11 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'll show her the Suzuki for sure.

To be honest, I don't know anything about Evoques, but looked for owner reviews and found that the majority were 4-5/5!

Reviews are a good starting point but should come with a health warning and filters. What period and how many miles has it been driven are useful indicators. All cars have faults but JLR seem to have a lot of failing diesel engines and some battery fires,  I would avoid JLR diesels unless I drove decent journeys . 

AWD / Part Time AWD,  needing a AWD, maybe avoid Electric Handbrake vehicles, 

but then that leaves you with very few to choose from.

Dacia Duster does the job, maybe not just the image unless into function over style, and practicality over badge snobbery.

AWD SUV's that do the job from, Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki, Renault, and some from Skoda, Audi, VW.

(Jeep / Fiat & Volvo obviously, comfy, heating, A/C. no misting, no faffing. Built various places.)

Vauxhall have Cross Over / SUV's/

Common factor or first list, built in Europe.   

For Built in Czech Republic good Quality Control & Warranty,  must be a Hyundai for that.

Walk the walk and do the job from Nissan, Subaru, Honda & Toyota FORD (Kuga, better IMO than many tests say / suggest.)

Even British built SUV's from Japanese Corporations are  more reliable than a JLR / Tata British Prestige vehicle.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 minute ago, RapidPaul said:

What about a Fiat 500x? Appealing image, Jeep underpinnings and they've just cut the price. Evoque is just a bit too Victoria Beckham.

Where is the lust in a Fiat?.......or Suzuki for that matter?.

Edited by Ryeman

My comprehensive research has found that those that used to park their Evoque in the Parent and Children or Disabled Parking after dropping off the children and when nipping into Tesco before going to the fitness class or for a jog are now Driving a BMW Volvo, Mercedes, Audi with AWD again having dumped the Range Rover product that was a hit for a short while.

For a Big Fat AWD with some comfort there is the MINI / BMW Countryman that also comes on totally useless tyres for UK winters..

On 07/03/2018 at 20:52, boylers11 said:

She doesn't want it to be flashy, she wants a comfy, reliable, 'smart' 4x4 for occasional field use and mainly motorway miles.

Nissan X-Trail?

Gaz

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

For a Big Fat AWD with some comfort there is the MINI / BMW Countryman that also comes on totally useless tyres for UK winters..

Yes, Mini Countryman is a very good shout for an alternative to the Evoque. Don't forget that Land Rover service and repair prices are sky high, so you'll need deep pockets if you want to keep the car for a long time. That's got to hurt for a car that can trace it's ancestry back to the Ford Mundano.

3 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Where is the lust in a Fiat?.......or Suzuki for that matter?.

I am strangely drawn to Suzuki's at the moment - 1.0 Boosterjet Swift and Baleno and the bigger Boosterjet Vitara.

I think they are very under-rated and understated but have a good record...

On 3/7/2018 at 21:23, boylers11 said:

That's smart Keith, but a bit more than she's looking to spend. I suggested a 4x4 Yeti, but she doesn't like how they look. I love the look of them myself!

weve had a quick look at CRVs, too, but is there anything else worth considering? The more compact, the better really.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've driven 2 X Atecas, 1.4 TSi FWD & 2.0 TSi AWD.

Both much more fun than we expected, & the 190ps 2.0 TSi is quite nippy, especially from a standstill.

It's was a demonstrator, but was also in daily use, & showing 33 mpg.

No idea of how well it would perform in a field, but it coped with a flooded road, & felt comfy but just a bit sporty. 

HTH, DC.