Cambelt Change Interval (1.4 TSi ACT)

Evening all, 

Trying to find the cambelt change interval for my 1.4 TSi (ACT) 150bhp. 

Can't seem to find any literature online or in owners manual, lack of service book these days doesn't help either... 

I'm aware that this will not be required at my mileage (14k) and age (August 2016 model), but I'm just curious!

Thanks, 

Dave. 

If it is an interference engine I'd err on the side of caution.

Father's S80 D5 broke the belt at 70k, a year out of warranty, fully serviced by Volvo, he has had several new volvos.  Last I heard he was still waiting for Volvo to decide if they would make a contribution to the engine rebuild (£7k+) but he's gone quiet on the subject.

Volvo's specified change interval hadn't been reached.

It needs an inspection at 210.000/240.000 km and then for every 30.000 km from that point untill replacement.

• Like 1

^^^ Which is why if in the UK ask Skoda UK.

Because different World Regions are given different Service Schedule / Guidelines.

& this 'Fleet / Lease' interval thing suits the VW Group / Warranties, not always private owners, or those buying a 'pre owned' vehicle which they have no real idea how it was driven.

Owners beware,  those renting a car for a few years and handing back, trust Skoda, VW, Audi,SEAT, they never lie.

When I bought the Leon 1.4 TSi back in 2013 the dealer told me it was 3 years or 36,000 miles. I found this difficult to believe since it would add a huge cost to normal motorists and totally alienate any higher mileage motorists.

Had a VW brochure at the time since we had also looked at the Golf, in that it stated that the Conti belt was a special design and was intended to last the lifetime of the car with no maintenance, did not believe that either. Unless VW meant that the life of the car was when the belt broke.

So I e-mailed Seat and they sent me the following reply

"I am delighted to confirm that on your SEAT Leon, we recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first."

That all appeared very sensible and I would expect it applies to all VAG brands (all the engines are made in the same plant) and I don't expect the ACT bit to have changed it.

The cynic in me says with the removal of traditional printed service booklets that used to detail service requirements, now hides those requirements behind the dealer service desk. Service managers would never fib, no the phrase now is "We recommend that....”

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090210/OEM01/302109754/contitech-supplies-lifetime-diesel-timing-belt-to-vw?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

VW Group called that many engines 1.4 TSI / TFSI Euro 4, 5 and 6 that you are not guaranteed that the person advising on a Cam Belt change or Inspections 

has a clue if the engine has a Timing Chain and it is the other belts that need inspecting / replacing.

Shown by the Dealers offers to come in for a Service Deal type post shots.

New produced engines might well be launched with a Service Schedule / Guidelines of 3 years, 

or Fixed Servicing as some Euro 5 Engines did say in a VW, and then when that engine is in a Skoda or SEAT that changes.

There were few failures or warranty claims.

The Service Schedule / Guidelines are revised / Increased.

Codes changed.   

Get them past 4 - 5 years, Fleet / Lease / Warranty no longer a VW Group issue, private owners, tough t!tty. On your own.

Edited by AwaoffSki