Hi guys,

First of all: Ive searched the forum. Couldn't find an answer and my local suspension shop in Melbourne couldn't help me either. 

I want to lower my 2010 Scout. What do I actually need to buy? Anyone done it? Coil overs or just springs? 

Whats the go? A link to what to buy or where to look would be greatly appreciated.

And no I don't take it off road or use it for towing so I'm not really worried about the pulling capacity etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by NickFit

My mechanic mistakenly fitted aftermarket springs for a standard Octy estate to the rear or my Scout. I was blinding other drivers at night!. Turns out they were about 10mm shorter. I would think a full set of original or aftermarket springs for a standard estate would do the trick.

Mark

Really?! 

That makes it a whole lot easier then. 

Ill just take it down to a local shop and try see what they can do. What year is your scout? 

Edited by NickFit

Some of the ride height on the Scout is due to the larger side wall on the tyres rather than it being raised. 

The Scout is 179mm,

non Scout 140mm.

I believe the Octavia 4x4 is 15mm lower than the Scout due to it being on 16"wheels.

The VRs is around 127mm.

Id actually like to raise my standard octavia to that of a scout.  If not do-able, a 4x4, but id be concerned about cambers being all out.

Would it not be the same lowering a scout?  Problems with the cambers and angle of the wheels on the road?

Surely theres more to a scout than just higher springs for the ride height and suspension?

I don't believe so, just springs (I think dampers are the same) and tyre side wall height. There are I believe 2 different types of suspension depending on the strut diameter, 50mm or 55mm but both scout and VRS use the 55mm so the brakes and suspension etc should be interchangeable. In fact I have Golf mk6 Gti front brakes on my prefl Scout.

1 hour ago, Anddenton said:

I don't believe so, just springs (I think dampers are the same) and tyre side wall height. There are I believe 2 different types of suspension depending on the strut diameter, 50mm or 55mm but both scout and VRS use the 55mm so the brakes and suspension etc should be interchangeable. In fact I have Golf mk6 Gti front brakes on my prefl Scout.

Good to know! 

Any chance the golf gti mk6 suspension fits? 

On 09/03/2018 at 10:58, NickFit said:

Really?! 

That makes it a whole lot easier then. 

Ill just take it down to a local shop and try see what they can do. What year is your scout? 

It’s a 2010

When changing rear springs on a 4x4 you need to get uprated weight springs to take extra weight of rear diff and subframe , As I discovered when I slammed my 4x4 and back end handled like sh#t on bends .

10 hours ago, Anddenton said:

I believe any mk5 or mk6 golf seats will bolt straight in including the GTI. Only difference may be the electric/airbag connector under the seat which might need changing.

I wonder if it's just a case of cutting the same colour wires and just soldiering them back together and connect the plugs?

56 minutes ago, balde07 said:

When changing rear springs on a 4x4 you need to get uprated weight springs to take extra weight of rear diff and subframe , As I discovered when I slammed my 4x4 and back end handled like sh#t on bends .

Ohhhh I thought it sounded too easy just to swap them over with a gti. Any idea where to get these springs? 

Ideally I just want the car like the VRS height (maybe a little lower with black wheels). The thought of the champagne colour car with black tint, grill, wheels and arches makes me smile.

Photo below gives difference between suspension types,

20180311_103855.thumb.jpg.523398ce087a198c54f7b4656d194a53.jpg

The following is copied from a post on here from 2013, my tablet wont let me copy the link so i have pasted the text below, 

Hope its of some help. 

Offroad vehicles at sports-car height tend to look pretty silly.  A slammed scout won't be an exception there.  The increased ride height of the Scout comes from two things.

1.  Spacer blocks between suspension subframes and the body.  Essentially it has a body lift over the normal octavia.

2.  The wheels are ~1" bigger and this gives the last 1/2" increase in ride height.

If you were to drop a scout to VRS height without other modifications, the suspension geometry would be completely wrong, likely outside the realms of conventional camber correction.  The tyres will also be ~1" higher into the wheel arches so you will have 1" less suspension compression.

The ride will suck.

If you took a 4wd estate (smaller wheels) and reversed the body lift, then you could reach VRS height.  But you'll struggle to clear anything off sealed roads.

• Like 1

Thanks Cryonut!

the car won't be going off road. Seems like a hassle to try source the standard 4wd estate springs here in Melbourne but I'll try. 

I wanted to change the wheels anyway as the original ones are scuffed up so that'll take out the extra 1/2"

2 hours ago, NickFit said:

Thanks Cryonut!

the car won't be going off road. Seems like a hassle to try source the standard 4wd estate springs here in Melbourne but I'll try. 

I wanted to change the wheels anyway as the original ones are scuffed up so that'll take out the extra 1/2"

Standard 4wd and scout springs are the same, the difference in ride height between the two is down to the wheel/tyre difference.