So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

hmmm this?

Alfa_Giulia_banner.jpg

or this 
skoda_octavia_hatchback_1_4_tsi_150_se_l

You're either a wind-up merchant or a troll? :wondering:

Neither but give me the Skoda any day. So what's do good about the Alfa?

53 minutes ago, YMe said:

Can't actually answer the question then?

How about the looks, the spec, the chassis, the build quality, the Italian leather, the attention to detail? The fact they wanted to keep weight down so it has a carbon fibre prop-shaft?

Dare I say the soul, the passion? The fact it's RWD?

There's a night and day difference sitting in and driving them both, and I'm coming from a really highly spec'd VRS 230.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stu83 said:

How about the looks, the spec, the chassis, the build quality, the Italian leather, the attention to detail? The fact they wanted to keep weight down so it has a carbon fibre prop-shaft?

Dare I say the soul, the passion? The fact it's RWD?

There's a night and day difference sitting in and driving them both, and I'm coming from a really highly spec'd VRS 230.

All of the above, i love my vRS but it knows its limitations, so do i. My brother has had a couple of cloverleafs back in the day when they rusted before you got them off the forecourt but they were one hell of a good drive.

my point is if you dont know? theres no point in debating with you. im not judging but you obviously dont know your Alfas.

And you are kinda p*ssing on stu's chips tbf

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

No sense in arguing. Beauty is the eye of the beholder, divided by the car's ability, multiplied by the  characteristics based on driver's pocket and  expectations. Ergo £20 for a glass of wine or 2 cases of Fosters. Everybody's taste is different. Back to the thread, nice car, enjoy. As Skoda gets ' posher' it will push drivers back towards BMW/Alfa etc. The reason I got my MKII in 2008 was that £4£ it beat my 5 series into the ground. 

• Like 1

Good luck with the new car and enjoy

Octy was never going to compete with Alfa like you are buying, the Octavia would never be allowed be VW's stying end like that with the flamboyance of the Alfa - but they are screwed together alright at least.

The Alfa is not for me personally but its certainly one of the smoother styling you will see of modern cars, that can lack something nowadays.

I have to say I don't agree with JohnnyTypes comparison attempt with a basic Octy lol.
Cmon perleeeeze, yes its not had the same touch of styling but please don't be QUITE so mean with bog standard styling comparison lol. At least show the equivalent model lol. Yes the octy is a bit of a big bunt beast in comparison terms, you aren't going to get the same kind of admiring glances and conversations but at least its got some fun under the hood if a bit shy of the Alfa.

So I will be a little bit jealous but thats ok ;)

Alfa_Giulia_banner.jpg&key=e6b1a73349f91

1.jpg

• Like 3

I'd say mine at the moment is a handsome car ... I think JohnnyType2 was commenting on YMe's comparison.

Definitely have no issue with the way my Octy looks or goes ... It had a Shark remap to 288bhp / 467NM after all!

If everyone liked the same things then the world would be a very boring place.

20170527_133530_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

All of the above, i love my vRS but it knows its limitations, so do i. My brother has had a couple of cloverleafs back in the day when they rusted before you got them off the forecourt but they were one hell of a good drive.

my point is if you dont know? theres no point in debating with you. im not judging but you obviously dont know your Alfas.

And you are kinda p*ssing on stu's chips tbf

I ain't p*ssing on anyone's chips.

I don't like the look of the Alfa and said so.

I don't like Octavia VRS Xtreme wheels either and said so.

I'm not debating the merits of the Alfa just my preferences. I will concede that my tastes are a bit pedestrian - I speak from the heights of a high spec? (is there such a thing?) Mk 3 Octavia SE L as in my sig.

I'm glad the OP enjoys his car and long may he do so. I really love my SE L - lowly beast that it is.

• Like 1

So you don't like this,  that and that. I'm sure I speak for a few who are too shy to say we don't care, but good for you! Admitting you have pedestrian/poor taste. 

Someone gets a cracking new car and you immediately slag it off?  A hint of the old green eyed monster me thinks! Can you not just be happy for him instead? 

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

So you don't like this,  that and that. I'm sure I speak for a few who are too shy to say we don't care, but good for you! Admitting you have pedestrian/poor taste. 

Someone gets a cracking new car and you immediately slag it off?  A hint of the old green eyed monster me thinks! Can you not just be happy for him instead? 

I don’t like Alfa’s either to be honest. Although I am glad the OP is happy with their new purchase. 

Each to their own isn’t it ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

Octy was never going to compete with Alfa like you are buying, the Octavia would never be allowed be VW's stying end like that with the flamboyance of the Alfa - but they are screwed together alright at least.

The Alfa is not for me personally but its certainly one of the smoother styling you will see of modern cars, that can lack something nowadays.

I have to say I don't agree with JohnnyTypes comparison attempt with a basic Octy lol.
Cmon perleeeeze, yes its not had the same touch of styling but please don't be QUITE so mean with bog standard styling comparison lol. At least show the equivalent model lol. Yes the octy is a bit of a big bunt beast in comparison terms, you aren't going to get the same kind of admiring glances and conversations but at least its got some fun under the hood if a bit shy of the Alfa.

1.jpg

i wasn't making any comparisons and certainly didnt call it 'bog standard', i was trying to understand how anyone would seriously (given the choice) choose a 1.5 L Octy over this Alfa?

saying "this and that is ugly" and "i hate this and that" is his prerogative, its a free country, but on someone else's thread is just flat rude! if peeps cant be positive about someone else's car have some forum decorum and keep it to yourself. <----singularly my only point. the spec savers was cheeky yes, apologies, i should have said "should have bought a volvo", 

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stu83 said:

I'd say mine at the moment is a handsome car ... I think JohnnyType2 was commenting on YMe's comparison.

Definitely have no issue with the way my Octy looks or goes ... It had a Shark remap to 288bhp / 467NM after all!

If everyone liked the same things then the world would be a very boring place.

20170527_133530_HDR.jpg

have to say i love these wheels in black! if they are good enough for Lamborghini they are good enough for Skoda. 

4 hours ago, stu83 said:

Yep, the Octavia is a very VERY good car in vRS form, but the Alfa is a different proposition altogether.

It's just different too, hardly seen any on the road and only one Veloce.

theres an alfa show room 300 yards from my work and i m always meeting one of the sales men in a veloce, stunning styling, HTD!

It's hard to compare the Alfa with a VRS here in Sydney. The Alfa is $79,000 drive away whereas the VRS is $52,000 drive away. So for the price of the Alfa I can have my VRS fully optioned plus a Fabia Monte Carlo .....easy choice ;-)

Edited by puhleese
left out some words

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Don't feed him - he has consistently slagged higher powered engines or higher spec cars.

...probably some issues he has to work on :)

This is not the first time nor will be the last - one of the more toxic members on this forum.

• Haha 1

Keep in mind that Veloce (despite start from standstill) is probably not faster then stock RS230 on the straight road, and it is definitely not faster of remapped TSI you've owned.

Where one Alfa is beyond compare, it is curves and twisted roads. Their engineers do magic, such a compromise of gentle ride and being glued to the asphalt in sharp curves is amazing. 

Please conclude this topic with the link to another forum where you will present your car, if it won't be on this one. I will be looking forward reading your impressions and thoughts, as it was the case with RS. Thank you in advance.

11 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

1.jpg

I'm glad the photos are similar colours etc as it makes a good comparison, and a pre facelift VRS, because personally I think the new front end looks damned ugly!  

Both cars have wheels on spacers, not factory setup. :) In theory how they may look like.

If I may say, both cars are marbles in its class, I love both, but they are different segment indeed. @stu83raises the bar. Quite a bit.

3 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Don't feed him - he has consistently slagged higher powered engines or higher spec cars.

...probably some issues he has to work on :)

This is not the first time nor will be the last - one of the more toxic members on this forum.

wise words, another victor to add to ignore

• Like 2

@stu83 - Good luck with it, and hope it lives up to the new age of Alfas that both deliver passion AND don't have consistent problems. I'm sure that engine note will keep you entertained and smiling every day! Seems to be a bit of a 'marmite car' on this post, but it's totally different to everything out there that's mainstream nowadays - so be prepared to get more looks going along (not a bad thing!).

TBH, mine (same spec as Stu's but in manual) also gets a few looks - maybe due to the black monte carlo badges etc. / noise, but I love the Octavia's understatement. And as a long-termer, the customisability is also great (since I don't care about resale value right now...)

Keep in touch on here - always good to have more car enthusiasts sharing their passion and knowledge :thumbup:

12 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

This is always something that winds me up.  When you know someone is really into their cars and they are excited about a new/prospective purchase, and regardless of whether you like it or not, I always think it's 'good form' to be happy for them and find something positive about the car.  It can feel like a kick in the gentleman sausage for someone to critique your new car.   Yes I know it's a forum and you can have an opinion and everyones different but that's generally the response when someones backtracking after taking things a little to far.   

Alfa's aren't my cup of tea at all, I can hand on heart say I would never own one.  The new Stelvio is bloody lovely though, the nicest SUV on the roads at present (close call with the XC90 though) and there's a few Guilia's near me and they look and sound the nuts, especially the Quadroexhuastio (that actually makes my special place tingle when the throttle gets opened).  Not for me at all but I still appreciate the design and the step forward Alfa are trying to make.  

• Like 1