Is a Sim card worth it for Columbus ?

Mine's an August 2017 L&K and it doesn't have the SIM slot but does have WLAN. It is the one in the right hand picture of the Columbus in the manual page 131 as posted by @Blowhard

Quite honestly the tether to my Android Galaxy phone works perfectly well and Google maps and Waze shows up fine.

Edited by TerryMcK

Just thought it would be better not to have to tether the phone every time I get in the car , as I said the auto tethering apps don’t work on android 8.0. 

There seems no reason why some people have a sim port and some don’t 

The Skoda One App on Android does auto tether without a cable. As long as Blue Tooth is on it autoconnects and records journeys everytime.

Waze and Google Maps do need the cable but they autostart on Android too. Android Auto is used BTW and my Android version is 7.0 kernel 3.18.14-12274782

Edited by TerryMcK

Bluetooth

Edit: primarily bluetooth but you can connect it via the WLAN as well but I sometimes forget to turn the hotspot on. OneApp still fires up though on bluetooth.

Edited by TerryMcK

It’s the auto connect for the WiFi connection I would like so I can use the Skoda connect for traffic updates and parking etc, not sure if your car has the skoda connect facilities .They took the auto tether away on android 8.0 for some reason.

I wanted to try the cars sat nav first and then if I don’t like it I have waze on my phone so could try that, thanks for the info

Edited by MarkUk63

No Skoda Connect is not on mine as I don't have the SIM card slot. I think it is only an option if you do have a simcard slot and from memory you have to enroll on the Skoda website using your cars chassis VIN number.

Edited by TerryMcK

I think you can use the Skoda connect if you use your phone as a hotspot from what I have read,I have set up an account just waiting for the car so I can put the vin in and finish the set up, but think it might only be for MY18 cars with the extra buttons in the roof.

Edited by MarkUk63

BTW Traffic updates do come into the Columbus whether you have a SIM card or not. It has a similar system to the TomTom Traffic built in - must be a 2G chip. However it is not very good and Google Maps or Waze does a much better job.

Yea I tried registering for Skoda Connect and was able to do so. However when I put the cars VIN into the portal it said the vehicle does not have this capability (or something like that).

I think the MY18 cars have a built in sim for the emergency call and remote access but you have to use your phone or the sim for the infotainment stuff.

It is a bit confusing when there are so many manuals telling you different things.

Thanks for the reply Steve hopefully mine will have the sim slot.

yours sounds like a great car mine is only a 150 SEL manual wish I could have ordered front sensors but think it’s a stock car, but did get an upgrade from an SE Technology 

Edited by MarkUk63

15 hours ago, MarkUk63 said:

It’s the auto connect for the WiFi connection I would like so I can use the Skoda connect for traffic updates and parking etc, not sure if your car has the skoda connect facilities .They took the auto tether away on android 8.0 for some reason.

I wanted to try the cars sat nav first and then if I don’t like it I have waze on my phone so could try that, thanks for the info

If you are used to Waze/Spotify then I think you'll be back with it soon enough using Android Auto.

When you start using Android Auto, you can enable Dev Mode in the app on your phone which will allow the phone to output a higher resolution image. As standard AA looks a bit blurry on that nice 9.2" screen because the default AA resolution is pants. Once you enable it in the menu its done and all looks nice and sharp.

All that I'd like now is for the Wireless Android Auto to work, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. No idea if the Columbus can be updated to support it or not.

Thanks DBT85 i did see the post and have set android auto to developer mode, do you use 720 or 1080 as your output resolution just wondered if the Columbus has a 1080 screen.

16 minutes ago, MarkUk63 said:

Thanks DBT85 i did see the post and have set android auto to developer mode, do you use 720 or 1080 as your output resolution just wondered if the Columbus has a 1080 screen.

I tried both and didn't see a difference tbh.

Could just be that at driving distance the difference is minimal, it could be that dev mode 1080 doesn't actually work, who knows lol.

Incidentally, I tweeted at Skoda UK to ask if the head unit would get an update to enable wireless AA. They told me to ask my dealer. Like they'd have any idea lol.

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 1