My turn to say goodbye...

7 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

@Bailer  very, very nice in Silver!! 

That looks gorgeous. 

Thanks it was already in stock so had no choice on color, I wouldn’t have ordered silver, was leaning towards black, but delighted with silver, looks good in the sun when it’s clean.

3 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Very very nice. Love the subtlety.

Just a word of caution - a mate of mine had a black 280 cupra ST nicked from his house in rural North Dublin last year, scum broke in and took keys whilst he was out. Left cash etc behind - clearly taken to order, or for a job...

Guess it could happen anywhere though. :angry:

Unfortunately they may come in to your house for a lot of cars, touch wood this one stays safe, it’s rarity might save it, much harder to keep a gti or R on the drive

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bailer said:

Thanks it does look pretty subtle, only those in the know will know what it is, currently on 3000kms, list price for the spec was nearly €49k, which is frankly mad, UK prices are much more sensible as well as your lower tax and insurance, the government here love to ride the motorist. Having only had it for a couple of days and spent quite a few hours behind the wheel, I’m yet to find where I could possibly need more bhp, I know there is always the possibility of more power and speed, but in overtaking it’s a monster, and given enough private road will go all the way to limit with no let up at all.

Don't know if you've seen new Golf GTi TCR which will hit showrrooms later this year.VW have given it the Cupra 290 engine so 286BHP with the 7 speed DSG. If you pay extra undisclosed amount they raise the top speed from 155 to 164MPH.So wonder how fast my 302BHP re-mapped Octavia can go, already seen indicated 165MPH. Better aerodynamics on my longer hatch so expect it would match the over spoilered Civic Type R and hit 168MPH.:D

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Don't know if you've seen new Golf GTi TCR which will hit showrrooms later this year.VW have given it the Cupra 290 engine so 286BHP with the 7 speed DSG. If you pay extra undisclosed amount they raise the top speed from 155 to 164MPH.So wonder how fast my 302BHP re-mapped Octavia can go, already seen indicated 165MPH. Better aerodynamics on my longer hatch so expect it would match the over spoilered Civic Type R and hit 168MPH.:D

Saw the announcement of the TCR, too many golf variants at this stage, 

Hey Jaco2k!

After seeing that next level performance the Cupra 300 gives i am seriously considering one for when my lease on the VRS expires.

How are you finding it compared to the Occy? Is it better in every possible way or are there some things the Occy does better? Interested to hear a comparison from someone who has owned both!

Interesting thread.

I'm on my third vRS, a pre-facelift 230 2016MY and would have been ordering a 245 it it was available.. don't really want to go back to a "cooking" vRS without a diff so i'm looking elsewhere.

Cupra was high on my list but i'm really underwhelmed if i'm honest.  Bland looks and it's expensive both on tax and list price compared to both the skoda and other fast fwd cars out there.

I'm seriously considering giving up the big boot and going for something smaller, Megane 280 RS or Civic Type R both being seriously considered.

I know civic is not to most tastes - it really is extreme in looks but it is awesome to drive, comfy (yes really)  when you need, just flick the switch.  420 litre boot .. 

2 hours ago, Liambobson said:

Hey Jaco2k!

After seeing that next level performance the Cupra 300 gives i am seriously considering one for when my lease on the VRS expires.

How are you finding it compared to the Occy? Is it better in every possible way or are there some things the Occy does better? Interested to hear a comparison from someone who has owned both!

Space is obviously bigger on the Octavia - Leon is a bit less spacious and has less storage to just throw things around.

The center console storage is way less than on the Skoda.

Hmmm... Doesn't have a motorized rear hatch (if you are into that), it is more thirsty (but maybe that is just the way the car invites you to drive it...), it is less "stealth".

If space is not an issue for you, I have no reservations to fully recommend.

The trunk is not small - it is the Octy trunk that is huge.

Rear leg room is OK, but not as much as on the Octavia.

On the rear seat you can only realistically take 2 persons.

On everyday life, it is a much nicer car to live with - since it is smaller, it is easy to for into places and throw around.

The AWD makes a big difference on wet and snow and surely puts a smile on the face.

At the risk of besting on a dead horse, I still say the interior quality is every bit as good as the Skoda, if not better.

The LED headlights are awesome, but the FL Skoda also has them.

I am happy and have 0 regrets - I know two other Skoda Octavia VRS buddies that also drove my car and both were equally impressed, with one of them exiting the car to sit on the computer looking up Leon prices ;)

If you test drive one, you will be hooked - don't say I did not warn you! :)

Tl;Dr: puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, even a few months into the ownership now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob_e said:

Bland looks

Whaaaaat!? :)

Take a look at my gallery and dare say this doesn't look nice:

Seat Leon ST Cupra 300 4drive https://imgur.com/gallery/02v9a6P

...but yeah, if you are into the Civic Type R, I guess we like different things :)

I like the understated look.

But seriously, take the Leon on a test drive - it is the only way to really understand the appeal.

4,9s 0-100kmh is a big seller ;)

1 minute ago, Jaco2k said:

But seriously, take the Leon on a test drive - it is the only way to really understand the appeal.

I have to agree as I was hooked straight away and had no regrets in getting one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob_e said:

Interesting thread.

I'm on my third vRS, a pre-facelift 230 2016MY and would have been ordering a 245 it it was available.. don't really want to go back to a "cooking" vRS without a diff so i'm looking elsewhere.

Cupra was high on my list but i'm really underwhelmed if i'm honest.  Bland looks and it's expensive both on tax and list price compared to both the skoda and other fast fwd cars out there.

I'm seriously considering giving up the big boot and going for something smaller, Megane 280 RS or Civic Type R both being seriously considered.

I know civic is not to most tastes - it really is extreme in looks but it is awesome to drive, comfy (yes really)  when you need, just flick the switch.  420 litre boot .. 

May not be the best, especially in terms of residuals etc., but don't ignore the i30N without driving one...

20 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Wait... Your Octavia has been remapped!?? Shut the front door!!! :) :)

Tell us all about it, go on... :)

No way, has @shyVRS245 remapped his car!! To 302bhp! You're joking right? That’s fast! I wasn’t aware. 

Shut the front door and close all the windows! ;-)

Edited by dunc69
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

May not be the best, especially in terms of residuals etc., but don't ignore the i30N without driving one...

I have read very, very good things in nearly every car mag / online test. But, the boot space.......

2 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I have read very, very good things in nearly every car mag / online test. But, the boot space.......

Compared to an Octavia, yes.

Compared to Megane RS maybe not much smaller. Civic seems a decent size tho.

Left field choice - new V60 T8 Hybrid due soon with nigh on 400bhp combined. AWD when required, low tax...huge list price, but maybe lease will be reasonable?

2 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Compared to an Octavia, yes.

Compared to Megane RS maybe not much smaller. Civic seems a decent size tho.

Left field choice - new V60 T8 Hybrid due soon with nigh on 400bhp combined. AWD when required, low tax...huge list price, but maybe lease will be reasonable?

I like your thinking. So much choice now that I genuinely feel Skoda isn’t the default choice for me anymore. 

See recent thread “Is Kia the new Skoda?”

The Volvo T8s are awesome - but the price!! 

A mate has leased an XC90 T8 (I know, different price level) for over £900 pcm.  Eeeek! 

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

Tiny I tell ya, rear legroom is also minuscule, test drove one twice, there was a low milage demo coming up for sale, but nowhere near as nice a car as the Octy or Cupra. I can see how it gets great reviews but none of those reviewers I bet would part with their own cash to buy one!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dunc69 said:

I like your thinking. So much choice now that I genuinely feel Skoda isn’t the default choice for me anymore. 

See recent thread “Is Kia the new Skoda?”

The Volvo T8s are awesome - but the price!! 

A mate has leased an XC90 T8 (I know, different price level) for over £900 pcm.  Eeeek! 

My boss has a V90 T8 R Design company car. Very very nice motor, and quite a sleeper.

As a company car and when leased, the dramatically lower BIK (£179 BIK pcm at example £30k salary, includes private fuel) combined with a reasonable lease deal (considering the spec and power) make it a seriously cheaper monthly expense compared to:

• 540i Touring X Drive (340bhp, £590 BIK pcm)

• Audi S6 Avant (444bhp, £750 BIK pcm)  

• Merc E53 AMG Estate (429bhp, £811 BIK pcm)

All at an example salary of £30k p.a and including private fuel benefit, figures from comcar.co.uk

Yes, all of the above will sound 10 times better due to having 6/8 cylinders, and almost certainly handle/drive better (although the V90 is surprisingly good in all fairness), but pound for pound, Volvo are on a roll.

Plugging it in is no real hardship either - we've installed some simple outdoor sockets at work, no fancy chargers required - takes about 3 or 4 hours, and costs about 85p supposedly! Can you not bother charging and just use petrol? Yes...

Downsides? Heavyish, reduced boot size due to batteries, no spare wheel or space for one, 10k mile service intervals and it's as wide and long as my 2014 Ford Ranger. :D

TL:DR, at £30k p.a salary, you could pay under £700 pcm on a business lease, plus BIK at £179 = £779 pcm for a V90, fuel included.

For the next cheapest rival, a 540i Touring X Drive, it would be £590 pcm for the BIK alone - a quick Google suggests another £750-850 pcm for the lease - over £1300 per month.

14 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

not on the list unfortunately.  lots of reviews have said its a hard ride too.

14 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Whaaaaat!? :)

Take a look at my gallery and dare say this doesn't look nice:

Seat Leon ST Cupra 300 4drive https://imgur.com/gallery/02v9a6P

...but yeah, if you are into the Civic Type R, I guess we like different things :)

I like the understated look.

4,9s 0-100kmh is a big seller ;)

:) didn't mean to offend.  I think octavia is bland too, maybe you're right, "understated" is a better word.  I see a lot of "fr" spec leons everyday and there isn't much to differentiate the cupra other than the big wheels.

cupra is in my top three..

4 hours ago, rob_e said:

:) didn't mean to offend.  I think octavia is bland too, maybe you're right, "understated" is a better word.  I see a lot of "fr" spec leons everyday and there isn't much to differentiate the cupra other than the big wheels.

cupra is in my top three..

Not offended at all - taste really is a subjective thing and not anybody has the same strokes ;)

...I wouldn't get the Type R, but like a cheap hooker, there is some degree of appeal in it for me :)

I do agree that it is almost impossible to tell a Cupra from a FR - only the rear and badges differ.

But I like "sleeper cars" (personal preference...) and get a kick of the surprised looks in some people's faces when they see the Cupra get going.

1 hour ago, Jaco2k said:

I do agree that it is almost impossible to tell a Cupra from a FR - only the rear and badges differ.

Don't forget about the small 'holes' above the front numberplate which is what I look out for. ;)

• Thanks 1

Serious question @Jaco2k and any other guys who've gone from fast Octavia to something else.. what was your short list?

Mine's a company car so i'm balancing cost vs. performance and it needs to carry family of 4 and occasionally a dog.

Civic type R  - awesome to drive, just about big enough but expensive and looks are challenging

Cupra - as above i think it's a little *too* understated, quicker than octavia, boot is fine but it's expensive compared to the skoda for not much more (other than 300bhp)

Megane RS.  A bit small maybe but prob just about enough with a roof box.  Cheaper than cupra or type r but only 280 bhp 1.8litre.   No demonstrators available yet.  Renault dealers are rubbish.

Golf R wagon is just too much money for me (and dsg only) same for focus RS.   Anything with merc/ audi / bmw/  volvo badge is is also too expensive if you want to go fast.

What else did you /should i consider?

3 hours ago, rob_e said:

Serious question @Jaco2k and any other guys who've gone from fast Octavia to something else.. what was your short list?

Mine's a company car so i'm balancing cost vs. performance and it needs to carry family of 4 and occasionally a dog.

Civic type R  - awesome to drive, just about big enough but expensive and looks are challenging

Cupra - as above i think it's a little *too* understated, quicker than octavia, boot is fine but it's expensive compared to the skoda for not much more (other than 300bhp)

Megane RS.  A bit small maybe but prob just about enough with a roof box.  Cheaper than cupra or type r but only 280 bhp 1.8litre.   No demonstrators available yet.  Renault dealers are rubbish.

Golf R wagon is just too much money for me (and dsg only) same for focus RS.   Anything with merc/ audi / bmw/  volvo badge is is also too expensive if you want to go fast.

What else did you /should i consider?

Not bound by a company car, but once I couldn’t get a 245 I started looking at anything and everything with similar or greater performance. The only car you mentioned that I haven’t driven is the current Megane, drove the previous model and it was very harsh, no comfort, great as a weekend motor.  

Ive said previously if I could get a 245 I never would have looked at the neighbors wife, in the end I settled on the Cupra ST 4 Drive and couldn’t be happier, the non 4 Drive is great too, but the 4wd adds the ability to get it all down anytime you want, not a hint of wheel hop. This is my first DSG and it’s great, still have the paddles or manual shift if required or wanted. 

Like you I couldn’t get past the looks of the Type R, the Cupra is definitely a little smaller in the back, but it’s rare I have a 6 foot+ in the back, but it’s doable.

test drive them all, I was genuinely blown away with the Leon, the interior is very driver focused and comfortable, the digital cockpit is a great gimmick too.

• Like 1

The Leon sold itself to me on the test drive - I tried it for fun and in the end I just had to have one, so I didn't really have a shortlist.

As per another thread here, and excluding all the cars mentioned here already, take a look at the Kia Optima GT or even the Stinger.

Hmmm... There are not really that many choices out there that tick all these boxes.

Really, go drive a Leon and thank us later ;)

I looked at a few Golf Rs but they were under equipped when compared to the Leon and...

...I admit I did look at the type R but I would only really have the latest model and there were NONE used in Finland.

...also, I really, really wanted to have AWD, but I guess in a country without snow this might be less important.

I drove a couple of brand new AWD BMWs (428 and 335) and although massively fun I really don't think they justify the price tag.

• Like 2