Tow bar

Hi 

I'm looking for advice, just bought a Octavia estate se l and need a tow bar any recommendations would be much appreciated thanks 

I am in Leeds west Yorkshire 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, BigEjit said:

PF Jones and the westfalia OEM spec detachable hook. 

Thats what I fitted on my Oct 2 Scout , i can recommend it.  Purchased from PF Jones and fitted myself.  I was lucky my Oct Scout 3 came with a factory detachable towbar

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Thats what I fitted on my Oct 2 Scout , i can recommend it.  Purchased from PF Jones and fitted myself.  I was lucky my Oct Scout 3 came with a factory detachable towbar

what about the wiring? did you have to remove the rear bumper?

nvm looks easy enough apart from the wiring. that part is really involved.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

what about the wiring? did you have to remove the rear bumper?

nvm looks easy enough apart from the wiring. that part is really involved.

On my Oct 2 Scout yes.  

Both rear lamp clusters had to be removed, the exhaust dropped off the back hanger to allow the metal heat shield above to be removed (to gain access to a hidden bumper bolt) and I managed to get to the screws in the rear wheel arch by just jacking the rear of the car.  On mine the mount holes fro the towbar were already there  (assume this is the same for all) and the cutout in the bumper was already there from factory (this maybe only on the Scout).

With the towbar fitted and bolts torqued it was all re assembled and a cold beer :)

Then I fitted the wiring loom.  Started at the back, control module in the boot (by rear passenger wheel well), loom run behind passenger seats and then under trims to the front driver footwell and then up to the fuse box.  The biggest pain was picking the wires from the back of the fuse box.  I managed it with a small split pin but would advise buying the correct tool from eBay as there only a few quid.

Finall coding on VCDS.  I'd say it took 5hrs all in to do having never done anything on this car before and having to work things ou.  It looked an absolute minefield on the instructions at first so I read through and highlighted every applicable page.  

I fitted a detachable Westfalia with the proper plug and play loom which is more expensive but I felt it was a better quality product and the plug and play loom was for ease of fitment.  You can download the instructions on line to review to see if you would be happy to do yourself.

IMG_1480.JPG

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

On my Oct 2 Scout yes.  

Both rear lamp clusters had to be removed, the exhaust dropped off the back hanger to allow the metal heat shield above to be removed (to gain access to a hidden bumper bolt) and I managed to get to the screws in the rear wheel arch by just jacking the rear of the car.  On mine the mount holes fro the towbar were already there  (assume this is the same for all) and the cutout in the bumper was already there from factory (this maybe only on the Scout).

With the towbar fitted and bolts torqued it was all re assembled and a cold beer :)

Then I fitted the wiring loom.  Started at the back, control module in the boot (by rear passenger wheel well), loom run behind passenger seats and then under trims to the front driver footwell and then up to the fuse box.  The biggest pain was picking the wires from the back of the fuse box.  I managed it with a small split pin but would advise buying the correct tool from eBay as there only a few quid.

Finall coding on VCDS.  I'd say it took 5hrs all in to do having never done anything on this car before and having to work things ou.  It looked an absolute minefield on the instructions at first so I read through and highlighted every applicable page.  

I fitted a detachable Westfalia with the proper plug and play loom which is more expensive but I felt it was a better quality product and the plug and play loom was for ease of fitment.  You can download the instructions on line to review to see if you would be happy to do yourself.

IMG_1480.JPG

excellent post thanks! :thumbup:, i would definitely want to read the online instructions first as i've watched the pro video and it looks scary picking all the wiring in the loom apart at the fuse box.

Are the instruction specific to the octavia wiring? and where can i find them? westfalias website?

• Thanks 1

Pretty straight forward for O3. Manuals are available on PF’s website for planning.  Near identical to Scoutcjb’s post but wiring is down the LH side to the fuse box and is just a plug in job. No splicing or cutting needed. Just fit the plugs in the right holes, they don’t come out that easily. Vcds to finish but works ok without this bit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigEjit said:

Pretty straight forward for O3. Manuals are available on PF’s website for planning.  Near identical to Scoutcjb’s post but wiring is down the LH side to the fuse box and is just a plug in job. No splicing or cutting needed. Just fit the plugs in the right holes, they don’t come out that easily. Vcds to finish but works ok without this bit. 

which loom to go for, for ease of installation? there are several.

Depends on your vehicle spec and age. From their website vehicle specific parts selector I went with with Westfalia, 13 pin, 06/14- (onwards), without TP (factory towbar prep). -> I have a 2016 VRS 4x4 combi.

If you have TP you are already up as that’s a whole lot of trim you don’t need to pull out.

I went for the spec closest to OEM rated hence Westfalia.  Sure it’s a fiddle routing the harness through to the fuse box but you only do it once and for the extra effort, never need to touch it again. It also integrates the trailer electrics into the vehicle systems. (Bulb monitoring, reversing sensor deactivation, alarm activation if unplugged, trailer stability program hence the need to code it in). 

• Like 2

@SashaGrace use the link in this thread to a pretty good guide. 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/416042-fitting-removable-towbar-comprehensive-instructions/

All that work you did fitting the variable boot floor prob have to come out again!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

excellent post thanks! :thumbup:, i would definitely want to read the online instructions first as i've watched the pro video and it looks scary picking all the wiring in the loom apart at the fuse box.

Are the instruction specific to the octavia wiring? and where can i find them? westfalias website?

No problem ;)

i seem to remember getting the instructions off the PF Jones website once I had found the specific one for my car.  The instructions cover a multitude of models but certain pages and diagrams are specific ... that's why I went through and highlighted all the applicable bits.

I went single electrics 13 pin and then use an adapter to convert to 7 pin for my trailer.

3 hours ago, BigEjit said:

@SashaGrace use the link in this thread to a pretty good guide. 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/416042-fitting-removable-towbar-comprehensive-instructions/

All that work you did fitting the variable boot floor prob have to come out again!

Haha, probably, but at least I know how to get it out ;)

• Like 1

Westfalia was on our Octavia II 4x4, but the Octavia III Scout has the Witter detachable towbar fitted.

Haven't tried the Witter bar in anger yet - only had the car for a week, but the Westfalia was much easier on the eye and didn't need the large section taken out of the rear bumper, which the Witter needs. (Not sure if the change in body style is the reason rather than the bar, but the mount is definitely different). With hindsight I wish I'd asked for another Westfalia to be fitted.

Can post some pics if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rab-k said:

Westfalia was on our Octavia II 4x4, but the Octavia III Scout has the Witter detachable towbar fitted.

Haven't tried the Witter bar in anger yet - only had the car for a week, but the Westfalia was much easier on the eye and didn't need the large section taken out of the rear bumper, which the Witter needs. (Not sure if the change in body style is the reason rather than the bar, but the mount is definitely different). With hindsight I wish I'd asked for another Westfalia to be fitted.

Can post some pics if anyone is interested.

This is a scout Octavia 

CB46461D-F9C1-412A-BA0B-4BF4F3B1C282.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rab-k said:

Haven't tried the Witter bar in anger yet - only had the car for a week, but the Westfalia was much easier on the eye

Funny you say that.  One of the reasons I got the Westfalia on the Oct 2 Scout is it looked half decent (as far as towbars go).  My Oct 3 Scout has a factory detachable (unsure who makes it) and it looks bloody awful.

I took the Westfalia off my old one, if it would fit the Oct 3 I would swap it over!

• Like 1

cheapest genuine westy towbar i could find was from poland, https://www.ehaki.pl/westfalia-hak-holowniczy-skoda-octavia-iii-kombi-2013,sp,6,2312

including the 13 pin specific kit its 1544 zlotti, about £340 posted £60 cheaper than pfjones.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

cheapest genuine westy towbar i could find was from poland, https://www.ehaki.pl/westfalia-hak-holowniczy-skoda-octavia-iii-kombi-2013,sp,6,2312

including the 13 pin specific kit its 1544 zlotti, about £340 posted £60 cheaper than pfjones.

Is that the model specific plug and play kit (not generic kit)?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Yes 13 pin model specific. Generic is a lot cheaper. 

£60 saving is a good result as long as there are no hidden postage costs or import taxes (thinking back to when I bought a dual action polisher from the USA :wondering:).

The generic kit is cheaper as I believe, if memory serves right, that you have to splice into the loom in the boot.  If you've got the money I'd go model specific.

If it helps I paid £240 for a brink fixed towbar supplied and fitted at sallop towing in Shrewsbury, included dedicated wiring kit. This is on a late 2016 Octavia sport.

Edited by POWYSWALES
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, POWYSWALES said:

If it helps I paid £240 for a brink fixed towbar supplied and fitted at sallop towing in Shrewsbury, included dedicated wiring kit. This is on a late 2016 Octavia sport.

was it removeable? how do you find it, pros/cons? still working out whether to go for a westy or a more generic removable one?

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

was it removeable? how do you find it, pros/cons? still working out whether to go for a westy or a more generic removable one?

Hi, It is fixed but I find it great for my use, either pulling my 1100kg caravan or my erde 143 trailer full of camping gear. Been fitted for 10 months now and all works as it should, so for example you select reverse and it comes up with a trailer symbol and disables the reverse sensors. They also handed me back the rear crash bar they removed to fit the tow bar as the brink kit came with its own crash bar.

Also if it helps direct towing in wrexham quoted £260 and was recommended by my Skoda dealer in Oswestry, obviously never used them so can not say how good a job they would have done compared to sallop towing.

3 hours ago, POWYSWALES said:

Hi, It is fixed but I find it great for my use, either pulling my 1100kg caravan or my erde 143 trailer full of camping gear. Been fitted for 10 months now and all works as it should, so for example you select reverse and it comes up with a trailer symbol and disables the reverse sensors. They also handed me back the rear crash bar they removed to fit the tow bar as the brink kit came with its own crash bar.

Also if it helps direct towing in wrexham quoted £260 and was recommended by my Skoda dealer in Oswestry, obviously never used them so can not say how good a job they would have done compared to sallop towing.

This is good to know, that a fixed one doesn’t interfere with the parking sensors when not used for towing, I was told a fixed ‘Might’ get picked up by sensors,  so best to fit the more expensive removable one one sir..... I never remove it because of my neighbours sh@t parkin

Edited by andyasjl