FL 230 Smoke on Full Throttle

On 17/03/2018 at 09:48, MorrisOx said:

I don’t think VW is alone by any means, but you can’t avoid the feeling that car makers have been having a laugh with emissions/economy regs.

Or have the regulation makers been having a laugh with silly driving cycles instead of forcing real world testing? Don't hate the player, hate the game!

If 'they' concentrated more on penalizing industry, instead of punishing motorists, most of whom NEED to drive, the environment would get cleaned up much more quickly! I've not noticed any smoke from the back of my 230, but its only got 1100 miles on. The 86 'smokes' all the time, but that will be thanks to the HFCs and 2.5" exhaust, just hope it passes the MOT!

14 minutes ago, Robbijay said:

Or have the regulation makers been having a laugh with silly driving cycles instead of forcing real world testing?

The regulation makers have been "in the pockets" of the car makers for too long - maybe, just maybe, things are changing at last.

For example, who could possibly believe that doing a fuel consumption & emissions test in a heated chamber using acceleration cycles that only a granny would be proud of could in any way reflect what actually happens? Yet that's what the car makers insisted the regulations would be...

Jaco2k,  if you want to troll please quote fully & not selectively.  'my passion is trolling VW lies'.   

I can troll as a past time without that being a passion'. 

Freedom members can self moderate and lock a thread.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Jaco2k,  if you want to troll please quote fully & not selectively.  'my passion is trolling VW lies'.   

I can troll as a past time without that being a passion'. 

Freedom members can self moderate and lock a thread.

Nah, just think you have a bit of an issue in the way you present your opinions and disregard/dismiss the others.

...as to your last paragraph... Huh!? :)

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Has anyone ever figured out where the problem is with this smoke?

I have this smoke under full throttle to with Octavia VRS 220 TSI 2014 manual. When its cold outside Its stops smoking when i really warm up the car like driving for 1 hour or more and when its warm outside it takes less warming up to stops smoking. Must be some bad design in stock exhaust so it collects to much water (no drainage?). I had car in service and they did some testing and didn't find nothing wrong with the car. I mostly do short trips so i know i'm collecting some water in exhaust, but i had Audi A3 1.8T and Audi TT 2.0 TFSI before and did mostly short trips to and they didn't smoke so much on full throttle. The coolant only needs to be topped up minimally on yearly service so i think that's not the problem. The car works well without any loss of power.

Has anyone tried to make some drain holes in the mufflers? is that bad for the car? If exhaust is collecting so much water its gonna rust from the inside.

Its not smoke its water vapour,it stops when car warms up ,if you drill holes in the exhaust then you will ruin it ,it shouldnt rust from the inside its mild stainless steel i believe so should be fine .

I was surprised to see this one back again - took mine for a good (necessary) drive last week and opened it up on the M3 when you come out of the 50MPH restriction (M27 split) and it steamed away like a crazy again - smoke (well steam) screen time. Must do it more often as there is obviously a lot of water that sits in there from short journeys and that is all that it is getting at the moment.

Yep i guess i will have to get used to this steaming when the car is cold :) I I just thought maybe  someone figured something out for this car to drain excess water. I have read on net that some cars have drainage holes on mufflers for this but i didn't find no holes on this car. I will not drill any holes without knowing for sure that this would help and that it's ok for this car.