FL 230 Smoke on Full Throttle

Noticed something odd yesterday when using full throttle to join the M27, the 230 was smoking on hard acceleration. Now it has been a while since it had a good workout and it has periods of only local trips.

No other symptoms and it seems to pull OK still, only 5.5K Miles on the clock and running stock software, having noticed it, I did a few more WoTs on the journey on the Motorway and whilst not as smokey as the original time, there was smoke viable in the mirror.

Anybody else notice this with their 230 (or 220/245) it is a May17 230vRS with DSG.

That will be exactly why Skoda discontinued the production and closed the order books in the UK.

EU Testing and Implausible / Irregular Co2 g/km from the testing pre Real World that is going to be required.

Hence the Gasoline Particulate Filters that will be on vRS 245's and any other Petrol VW Engines that are going to be Type Approved and tested from now till September and from then on.

I don’t think VW is alone by any means, but you can’t avoid the feeling that car makers have been having a laugh with emissions/economy regs.

Is that really smoke or the notorious "mist" that has widely been discussed before and it kinda is a feature, since according to several Skoda mechanics "they all do it"?

...and BTW, it really seems most of them do it, judging by the amount of comments people made last time this came up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Is that really smoke or the notorious "mist" that has widely been discussed before and it kinda is a feature, since according to several Skoda mechanics "they all do it"?

...and BTW, it really seems most of them do it, judging by the amount of comments people made last time this came up.

Conspiracy theories aside, the above is likely what you saw. My pre fl did it and so does my fl. 

• Like 1

Blasting soot that has built up in the exhaust system of Euro 5 & 6TSI's that run rich before up to the efficient operating temperature is not unusual in the words of Tom Jones.

Nice Super Unleaded, light driving part throttle, trundle about, then woosh and a black smog and the Audi, BMW, Merc Diesel Driver gets the idea you are some go not just show.

On full throttle though after that burnt fuel / oil has cleared the pipes is just the de-tuned engine as VW allowed Skoda to use.

Ford designed in Pops, farts, crackles with over fueling, (RS Discontinued..) as do others, like VW / Audi / SEAT / Skoda, 

'Overboost' use the fuel and potential and get kidology Max Torque / HP figures, sometimes to play down the EU Authorities / testing, sometimes to kid buyers.

They got the pops and crackles. got the power, would not get the Co2 g/km that EU testing figures gave when it comes to Real World Tests and what they need very soon.

Failed badly on the reliability, messed up hardware and software...

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

Anybody else notice this with their 230 (or 220/245) it is a May17 230vRS with DSG.

Yep, mine (220) does it too.  In cooler weather mine makes the back window completely opaque for a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

Does nobody here that is in the parallel world of driving flat out on public roads / racing ever actually follow a car in front and sniff the air coming in their car, 

or see smoke not condensation.

Does nobody go to the strip / 3/4 mile?

So many driving gods on here they must always be the car in front then!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

Noticed something odd yesterday when using full throttle to join the M27, the 230 was smoking on hard acceleration. Now it has been a while since it had a good workout and it has periods of only local trips.

No other symptoms and it seems to pull OK still, only 5.5K Miles on the clock and running stock software, having noticed it, I did a few more WoTs on the journey on the Motorway and whilst not as smokey as the original time, there was smoke viable in the mirror.

• Like 1

To the OP, sounds like nothing to worry about, but just worth making sure the car isn’t using oil....

• Like 1

Interesting thread, interesting issue. Never noticed.

I have also some video material recorded from the car following my car on full throttle, there was nothing visible ever coming out from the exhaust. His xenon headlights are all over rear of my car, if anything was coming out, should have  been visible.

Maybe the quality of gasoline is different? With no exceptions I put unleaded 100 octanes. 

1 hour ago, nidza said:

Interesting thread, interesting issue. Never noticed.

I have also some video material recorded from the car following my car on full throttle, there was nothing visible ever coming out from the exhaust. His xenon headlights are all over rear of my car, if anything was coming out, should have  been visible.

Maybe the quality of gasoline is different? With no exceptions I put unleaded 100 octanes. 

It has only had Shell V-Power Nitro+ since I've owned it - purchased last November with 3333 Miles on the clock - done 2000 Miles since then.

• Like 1

So in the UK Royal Dutch Shell are selling you minimum 99 octane / ron and their secret Detergent packages. 

'Better out than in' as the saying goes, might as well blast some soot and particles while you can before there are Particulate Filters to trap that as the Catalytic Converters are not really doing the job that they were supposedly fitted to do. 

Thought of the day.

Go clean your tail pipes today, shiny and bright, then next Monday ask a close friend to run their finger around your rim.  Seriously.

Ask Rod McLeod new CEO of Skoda UK or Paul Willis CEO of VW UK to finger your tail pipe and see if he is proud of how Green the grass grows and what Skoda UK 

have done to clean up the air others breath in the UK.

Edited by AwaoffSki

If Paul Willis comes to finger your back end check your watch is still there after he shakes hand if you do shake.

Likely he will just send a VW Group Test  Monkey to check pure H2o is all there is to be seen..

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.3d0cd25182f29ac829db4d9064ddc2cf.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

You seem passionate about this. And to an extent I can see why. However, we as modern humans living in 1st world countries are - as a whole - terrible for the environment. Let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that if VW hadn’t cheated emmisions tests we’d all be living in a wonderful utopia filled with sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. 

I drive polluters.  I do not care one jot about the environment, my passion is trolling VW lies,   they spends billions on media, journalists and media friends,  bots and social media trolls,  I do it for free to balance their sharn.   if I they were to pay me enough I will join them and spin for them.  

Edited by AwaoffSki