Fuel flap not opening

1 minute ago, Steveyboy said:

Part number 7P0810773D

Fitting is very easy just one torx screw and the cover and flap is off, and actuator simply pulls off

Good luck

That's great, thanks :)

Just now, Loopylil said:

Happened about 4 or 5 times to me (2013 elegance estate) so i cut off the lugs and bought a locking cap,no more problems

But then you have to unlock the cap separately every time, which is probably more of an inconvenience than the occasional time the flap sticks?

• 3 weeks later...

On my new-to-me 2015 Scout, I noticed first that it wasn't locking when it should - rather than not unlocking - not such a big deal. However, once it failed to unlock when I wanted it open: which is much more of a problem. Off to the dealers, and the locking-motor replaced under guarantee.

It is perhaps not surprising that these things fail, given that they lock/unlock quite unneccessarily every time one locks/unlocks the car. This must give the little motor scores more lock/unlock cycles than the equivalent on my Mk1, which only operated when I pressed the button on the dash to unlock it.

Edited by Sangrail

42 minutes ago, Sangrail said:

It ts perhaps not surprising that these things fail, given that they lock/unlock quite unneccessarily every time one locks/unlocks the car.

You could argue the same for every passenger door + boot which all get unlocked and locked numerous times on daily basis but are rarely opened and used (at least in my case anyway).

8 hours ago, ahenners said:

You could argue the same for every passenger door + boot which all get unlocked and locked numerous times on daily basis but are rarely opened and used (at least in my case anyway).

I guess so - though mine is set to open only the driver's door on one press of the remote, which often is all I need to do.

Also, I've never had any of the door-locks fail (yet, as least!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sangrail said:

I guess so - though mine is set to open only the driver's door on one press of the remote, which often is all I need to do.

Also, I've never had any of the door-locks fail (yet, as least!).

I forget this is an option, I should probably set it tbh as it's mostly just me in the car for most of the week.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 14/09/2018 at 13:48, Steveyboy said:

Part number 7P0810773D

Fitting is very easy just one torx screw and the cover and flap is off, and actuator simply pulls off

Good luck

Hi! I have the same issue. The actuator went wrong some days ago and I can't open the uel flap. No emergency solution. The official Skoda dealer told me that it isn't sure to open the flap without a damage. (And sure it would be my cost as well! I think this is scandalous.) At a not official car mechanic we will try to take off the wheel and the wheel arch to see what we can do. I've already bought the new geniue actuator....As you mentioned there's only one screw what is holding the acutator but I can't reach it from outside until the flap is opened. Did you manage to open it from outside? Thank you very much.

21 hours ago, MadMepps said:

Hi! I have the same issue. The actuator went wrong some days ago and I can't open the uel flap. No emergency solution. The official Skoda dealer told me that it isn't sure to open the flap without a damage. (And sure it would be my cost as well! I think this is scandalous.) At a not official car mechanic we will try to take off the wheel and the wheel arch to see what we can do. I've already bought the new geniue actuator....As you mentioned there's only one screw what is holding the acutator but I can't reach it from outside until the flap is opened. Did you manage to open it from outside? Thank you very much.

Hi. Yes I eventually got it open by just pressing the lock and unlock button repeatedly and got it open. 

Let me know how you get on

2 hours ago, Steveyboy said:

Hi. Yes I eventually got it open by just pressing the lock and unlock button repeatedly and got it open. 

I see. By pressing the lock and unlock button it keeps being silent. No effect on the actuator. By pressing the flap manually no success either. (At Skoda they tried this technique as well.) I have a timepoint for Tuesday morning. I will write down the result.

1 hour ago, MadMepps said:

I see. By pressing the lock and unlock button it keeps being silent. No effect on the actuator. By pressing the flap manually no success either. (At Skoda they tried this technique as well.) I have a timepoint for Tuesday morning. I will write down the result.

However I was watching some youtube videos and people are able to open it with a credit card or a bicycle tyre release tool or a piece of narrow ended wood. But nobody tells the details of the method. I'm going crazy. :)

On 11/08/2019 at 10:40, Steveyboy said:

Hi! So the result: We took the tyre and the tyre arch off but there's a metal part which hides the actuator. We couldn't reach it. The best we could do was to open it manually from outside with a piece of narrow tool which was helping to strain the flap and a screwdriver. A part of the plastic broke off but the new actuator is still able to lock the flap. Anyway I'm still waiting for the answer of the official dealer. I told them that I need to use the car, I don't have time to dispute the issue for weeks but I want my right.

• 5 months later...
On 14/09/2018 at 12:48, Steveyboy said:

Part number 7P0810773D

Good luck

Spot on -  I've just replaced mine, it took less than 5 minutes.

Easiest job I've ever done on the car.

Only tool needed is a T20 Torx - I think the one in the spare wheel tool kit would fit, but I used my own.

The latest part number is now 7P0 - 810 - 773 - F

£32.70 inc. VAT (retail) from TPS.

On 07/02/2020 at 12:21, BJM said:

Only tool needed is a T20 Torx - I think the one in the spare wheel tool kit would fit, but I used my own.

Mine should be ready to pick up at the dealers tomorrow (although I probably won't get to fit it until the weekend.  

I've bought a pry tool kit to help me open the flap without damage (hopefully), other than that it does look quite straightforward :)

On 11/02/2020 at 20:20, Russ77 said:

Mine should be ready to pick up at the dealers tomorrow (although I probably won't get to fit it until the weekend.  

I've bought a pry tool kit to help me open the flap without damage (hopefully), other than that it does look quite straightforward :)

I got the fuel cap open with minimal damage.

Using a crowbar-like pry tool, I opened the flap as much as I could which gave me access to the actuator retainer.  Using a small screwdriver I manager to break one side of the retainer which gave me enough wriggle room to open the flap.

I didn't get around to picking up the new actuator from the dealership so I snipped the lugs off the old actuator for the time being and fixed the retaining part on the cap with some superglue.

Tested the actuator and it's definitely screwed, won't operate at all and is stuck in the locked position.

So the moral of this story is..... when the actuator starts playing up, either cut the lugs or replace it BEFORE it gets stuck in the locked position!

• 5 months later...

I have had same issue for few months unlock car fuel cap dosen't open. I have found a soloution which works without replacing servo motor. Lock the car and as your unlocking the car at the same time push the fuel filler cap at same time it pops open everytime for me. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 21/07/2020 at 04:47, Dillaz_k said:

I have had same issue for few months unlock car fuel cap dosen't open. I have found a soloution which works without replacing servo motor. Lock the car and as your unlocking the car at the same time push the fuel filler cap at same time it pops open everytime for me. 

Fantastic! Thanks very much for this great advice.  I have about ten miles of fuel left after going to the garage and the cap refusing to open (even after repeated start/drive/stop cycles) - was getting desperate.  This worked a treat. And so simple.  THANKS!

On 13/09/2018 at 09:41, Steveyboy said:

I changed the actuator around £30 and working 100% again including locking

Same here. £25 from the Skoda dealer and a 5 minute fix.

• 2 months later...

just happened to me, and we're going on holiday ....   in the car...  tomorrow morning - any ideas on how to force the flap open with miminal risk of damage ?

Have managed to get it open with a bit of brute force and ignorance, if anyone can point me in the direction of resources on how to replace the unit, it would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 12:21, BJM said:

@BJM did your replacement actuator come with or without a cable, I've seen them for sale online with and without ?  Also is it possible to replace the unit without removing the boot interior trim (which I guess might be possible if you can disconnect the cable at the actuator end, but no-one ive seen on youtube did that)

• 1 year later...

I have removed the toque screw from inside the fuel flap and eased the plastic unit out from the left edge, but seems very tight around the right side as though something else is stopping it at the back. Is there any boot trim to be removed or do i need to be a bit more forceful in pulling the fuel flap unit away?

Thanks fot any info.