Fuel flap not opening

• 2 weeks later...

Has sometimes been a bit reluctant to open during cold weather, but eventually clicks open after a couple of pushes. Not near a manual, but suspect there may be an alternative release mechanism somewhere.

I had this last year but dealer never found an issue. Does it every now and again but after locking/unlocking a few times and pushing the flap in it pops open. Just learned to live with it now I'm out of warranty. 

I have also had this. Reading codes also found a Fuel Flap Solenoid failed to open fault. (Or similar)

Dealer couldn't fault it and it's not happened since.

No visible access to the flap cable in my Combi. Or is it a case of rtfm? :dull:

A search of the manual in Adobe does not reveal any emergency procedure.

Edited by gregoir
Checked manual

6 hours ago, ahenners said:

I had this last year but dealer never found an issue. Does it every now and again but after locking/unlocking a few times and pushing the flap in it pops open. Just learned to live with it now I'm out of warranty. 

Exactly the same for me. An irregular quirk I live with. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've sprayed the piston with silicone ptfe and has been working but then again fails to open. 

Rang skoda dealer they haven't a clue.

Has anyone a part number for a new actuator?

It appears to be a common VAG issue.   I had that happen twice in the past year on my 2014 Seat Leon.    First time it was fixed under warranty (just before the warranty ran out) but when it happened again recently, they had to break it open because there was no emergency release.   Cost me £175 and that included a discounted new flap and actuator.   Keeping my fingers crossed the issues have been resolved before I get my new Karoq.

Edited by MASS1

• 4 months later...

This has just happened to my 2014 Octavia.

I was on holiday, and a local Skoda dealer forced open the flap (doing no damage) and removed the lugs so that it no longer locks.

Has anyone had any MOT issues resulting from such a "fix", as IIRC, a "locking" fuel system is necessary?

Just now, iriches said:

This has just happened to my 2014 Octavia.

I was on holiday, and a local Skoda dealer forced open the flap (doing no damage) and removed the lugs so that it no longer locks.

Has anyone had any MOT issues resulting from such a "fix", as IIRC, a "locking" fuel system is necessary?

No it is not a requirement. As long as there is a cap on the filler that closes and seals it is all good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My previous Superb locked me out when the tank was very low.

Rather than pursue a replacement solenoid, that might simply fail again, I simply modified the flap in the area where the solenoid turns and engages to lock.

A small snip and - hey presto - risk of jamming closed was eliminated for ever.

(in decades of driving on 2 wheels and 4, I’ve never had any fuel stolen from my tank)

To add to the above, I'm not sure if it's everything or just VAG but the fuel flap on my 14 month old Scirocco sometimes wouldn't open. Sometimes I'd have to lock the car and unlock again and occasionally it would pop open. Other times I would press it in and 30 seconds to a minute later it would open.

The dealer had a look at it and adjusted something so it worked better but still did it from time to time so it may just be an inherent flaw rather than something failing