Paranoid or issue (turbo)

Car started making the woooo sound last night, it’s my second new turbo in a month, at low RPM it’s making a slight siren noise, only at low RPM, my last turbo 2 weeks ago made said noise before the shaft breaking a month later but always made the noise since it was fitted, this turbo started making the noise last night, it’s at 1500/2000rpm I would say. I’ve attached a video link, it’s more pronounced in person I guess but not sure if it’s normal or a worry. Like I said it only started last night, for the past week there was no noise after 2000rpm the noise stops completely. Is this normal or impeller damage

Edited by JaamesVRS

I can't really hear it and revving it while stationary isn't going to tell you much, can you actually hear it while driving?

If so you should remove the TIP and take a close-up photo of the impeller to look for signs of damage.

Otherwise it's paranoia.

The video doesn’t do much justice the road noise drowns it out, it’s more noticeable stationary, can hear it when the clutch is dipped and revs drop as changing gear. Can’t wait to get rid now causing me constant issues 

As said best thing to do is take of the inlet pipe and check for damage/play. I had similar when my old turbo started to go, only noticeable low revs when stationary slight siren noise like you have.

Yeah my last turbo a few weeks ago did the same thing from when it was fitted so thought nothing of it, in the end the shaft snapped. This started last night noticed it when leaving the Harvester carpark lol. 

The original tirbo went end of jan, now the othwr turbo lasted a month, this one has been fitted a week and making the noise, by turbo I means replacement Cartridge. Can’t afford a complete turbo 

44 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

However when the car was warm the noise was much less pronounced almost couldn’t be heard

Sounds exactly what my original one did when it was failing. Eventually it got louder and then wouldn't stop even when it was warm the noise was still present.

If it was boost leak then engine temp wouldn't affect it

What cartridge was it? Did i read you bought a mellett one before as those are meant to be the best to get.

I didn’t buy a melett in the end but starting to wish that I did, I bought one from a company called NERINGS, they’re a Latvian company who have loads of great reviews and feedback, coupled with YouTube videos of building their turbos balancing them etc seem to be a company who are doing all the right bits. When my first core failed from them they sent out another which arrived next day (after scaring them with bad feedback etc) However my first core made the same noise then went pop when on Boost, I’m worried this one is about to do the same, the hatred I have for this car now is unreal I can’t drive it anywhere without fear of it breaking down. I’m waiting on my tax rebate to come in to get rid and go back to petrol, probably go Astra VXR or something along those lines, the fabia has done nothing but cause me issue.

Edited by JaamesVRS

I feel your pain, i had no end of issues when doing my turbo but all sorted now and working really well (fingers crossed)

im just getting a youtube vid uploaded of the noise mine made so see if it sounds similar

Yes mate it’s a similar noise, I reset the trip since the turbo was fitted, only done 173 Miles and making this noise!!! I’ll get a video with the bonnet up shortly and upload that! I’ll make sure the car is warm too as that video I literally run round to the shops the engine temp gauge still showed cold 

Edited by JaamesVRS

Took the car for a trip for diesel, popped open the bonnet and recorded it, the noise is much more noticeable in the car than out. But here’s the video anyway, yeah sepul I will take the TIP off and have a look when I get chance, all my tools etc are down the lockup and we’ve had snow this weekend it’s bloody freezing!