What does your 2.0 tdi pi engine idle at??

Hi guys, 

just wanted to ask what does your diesel Octavia idle at? I’ve been told by an ex Skoda mechanic that my engine (2010 2.0 Tdi pi 140bhp eng code BMM) should idle one both above the 750 rpm mark (about 820rpm ish) as I’ve been trying to suss the problem with mine idling at 820.

Might be a daft question as all the 2013 models idle at 750rom unless it’s doint a DPF re gen or there’s a large power load etc etc, just want to make sure I’m not looking for a problem that doesn’t exist...

many thanks in advance... I’m now bald pulling more than my hair out testing and checking everything, does it have a “cold start” solenoid or engine idle valve or anything that could cause this? 

I’ve fitted new battery (top of the range excide) had new Bosch air flow mass sensor, checked all temp sensors and all seem to be reading correct using snap on solis pro. 

0EF39774-D0EB-42F6-9B77-D1C5BA4585CD.jpeg

Mine idles at about 800rpm when warm, 1000 when cold / DPF regenerating, or about 900rpm when warm and rolling in neutral. Mine is a 2.0TDI 140 (2011 Scout), but it's the CR version, CFHC engine code.

I don't think I'd worry if yours is idling a wee big high - unless there are fault codes or anything else to concern you?

Around 900 rpm, just like in the photo above, slightly faster during low-temp season. I think official figures say +/- 50 rpm, so anywhere between 850 and 950 rpm is ok.

NOTE: mine has no DPF, thank God, so no fast idle for that reason.

No, never needed too - I'm quite happy with what I see on the tach and what I hear. As someone said, at 150,000+ km it's nice to know that it still purs and costs almost nothing to run...

In case of (suspected) problems, a Bluetooth VCDS connector and an Android or IOS App provide detailed recording, stats etc.

On 23/03/2018 at 14:14, langers2k said:

It could be as simple as the needle isn't on straight ;)

Have you actually checked the idle speed with some diagnostic kit?

Yes, checked on my snap on solus pro. 

Target idle speed says 750 but actual according to diagnostic and clock needle is 820rpm. 

The thing that worries me or bothers me is the possibility that it’s some sort of cold start making the idle slightly higher so fuel figures may be higher, also if it’s something not registering correctly how do I no that while it’s idling slightly high the engine isn’t putting too much fuel in so when I need the power I’m either over fueling or under fueling or causing other problems. Thanks for the reply 

On 23/03/2018 at 10:53, SuperbTWM said:

A car with nearly 180K on it and your complaining about the idle speed :D

Yes it’s high mileage.... but with a FULL SERVICE HISTORY consisting of engine service and inspection every 6 WEEKS  due to it being an ex rapid Responce vehicle (nhs paramedic car) I’d expect nothing more than a perfect purring engine like I do have, I noticed that the other fleet of 30 octavias that i maintain have an idle of 750 (62 plate paramedic vehicles) with engine code CFCH... 

2 hours ago, Mick562008 said:

Yes it’s high mileage.... but with a FULL SERVICE HISTORY consisting of engine service and inspection every 6 WEEKS  due to it being an ex rapid Responce vehicle (nhs paramedic car) I’d expect nothing more than a perfect purring engine like I do have, I noticed that the other fleet of 30 octavias that i maintain have an idle of 750 (62 plate paramedic vehicles) with engine code CFCH... 

Well there you go, the car is in tip top shape so stop worrying.

you could throw a ton of time and money at it and be non the wiser. 

• Like 1

Which temp sensors have you checked?

Is it on the original thermostat, because if it is, it will almost certainly be opening early

Edited by SuperbTWM

Here is my CR140 2.0 TDI, 2011, 140,000 miles.

The only time the RPM alters at idle is during a DPF regen or if the Climate Control is calling for heat before the engine is up to temperature, or if it begins to pull more heat than the car is generating.

20180323_091748.thumb.jpg.18a8773f37f282e119fb947cf01115a4.jpg

As my annual technical inspection says, my 2.0 TDI (common rail, CFHC) has got 780 rpm for idle. But it shows some values for the minimum (400) and maximum (1100). So I guess it's possible that you have got more/less but should be in that range.

You got a different engine but the principle should be the same. So if there are no faults and if anything else seems to be OK, I wouldn't worry much about that.

Would like to say a big thanks to every one  that has commented... I appreciate your help.. after owning my best ever VAG vehicle my trusty old 2001 ex Aa T4 2.5 tdi 5 cyl with 300,000 miles on the clock when I very reluctantly sold it I remember similar high idle and that was a temp sensor causing the same issue.