Horsepower vs Torque, A simple explanation (?)

OldKaroq

If anyones interested I found this interesting Youtube video. Its a little long at 7mins, but gives a good explanation of the difference between horsepower and torque, something Ive always been a little confused by. I knew it was "pulling power".

Coming from a Kia 2l diesel with 400Nm of torque, to the Karoq 1.5TSI petrol with 250Nm, I was a little worried. But the video reassured me. I think!! 

The important factor is where the max torque is on the rev range. In our case, nice and low, 1500rpm. Which should make it similar to a diesel to drive! 

https://youtu.be/u-MH4sf5xkY

I've come from a 2.0 TDI (apparently 320Nm of torque) and am finding the 1.5 TSI a bit gutless tbh but it probably just needs getting used to.

Edited by solarfusion
Typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GlosJanner said:

Difference is you have to rev the petrol to get it to shift but around town it is probably the best option. Apart from electric that is.

I agree I’ve gone from a 148bhp 350 N-m 2.2 oil burner and the little 1 litre Koraq is fine for dodging around town. If and when we get another second car I’ll be looking at electric options. The range would be an issue if it was our only car.

Edited by Steve335

The other way to understand it is to remember that power = torque x rpm.

I had a seized wheel bolt once. I applied **** loads of torque but it was still not moving.

But the other parameter that should also be looked at is gearing/final drive. The 3 parameters should be considered together (torque, revs and gearing), no point speaking about 1 separately as it's power at the wheel that makes the car moves.

Edited by nickfrog

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:27, GlosJanner said:

Difference is you have to rev the petrol to get it to shift but around town it is probably the best option. Apart from electric that is.

You don't have to rev my petrol Skoda, not with 467NM of torque at 2788RPM unless you want to go from 50-75MPH in 3.2seconds LOL!

3 hours ago, nickfrog said:

I had a seized wheel bolt once. I applied **** loads of torque but it was still not moving.

But the other parameter that should also be looked at is gearing/final drive. The 3 parameters should be considered together (torque, revs and gearing), no point speaking about 1 separately as it's power at the wheel that makes the car moves.

Check out my little ditto on page 101 on Octavia MK3 VRS245 Ordered, which makes that very same point.

4 hours ago, nickfrog said:

There is a linked video from the same guy in the first comment which talks about gearing (and how a CVT transmission would allow you to remain in the peak power band).

linked here for ease :)

1 minute ago, exFiesta said:

There is a linked video from the same guy in the first comment which talks about gearing (and how a CVT transmission would allow you to remain in the peak power band).

linked here for ease :)

CVT's beloved of the Japanese motor industry, usually found in Toyota Prius Taxi's, can be heard 3 miles away screaming away eventually delivering some power to match the insane revs they require to get anywhere quicker than a snail. Probably why they don't use one on a Nissan GTR or Formula One.

11 minutes ago, bilun777 said:

Lots of Horsepower is how fast you hit the brick wall.

Lots of torque is how far you push the brick wall after you've hit it...

Most people would probably be on the brakes after hitting a brick wall so torque is irrelevant there :D