Give me a 'brake'

Looking for a bit of help. I have a 2013 VRS and looking at getting new front and rear Brembo (unless someone can suggest a better brand) disc and pads from Euro Car Parts. Problem is there's more than one to choose from. Anyone any idea which ones I should be buying? I've asked about on a couple of Facebook groups but I'm just getting the VAG/Skoda part numbers back and not the Euro Car Parts 'product code' 

Both front and back ECP product codes would be a massive help. Cheers. 

I will go with Brembo, much better than the likes of Bosch, Pagid etc. 

To be absolutely sure the size of yours, look up the PR codes either in the front service book or under the mat in the car book. Compare the codes with the listed options.

Normally, when I'm faced with this problem, I find out the "sizes" of the discs fitted to that car, ie diameter, bore wheel bolt PCD, thickness and height, then go onto the website of your chosen brand, in this case Brembo, and even tie in on that site with the car's PR code, then take it from there as you should also find the matching pads.

This is essential when dealing with ECP unless you want to spend too much time going back and forth to them swopping parts, I now, if necessary do my arguing at the counter at the first visit, though curiously since being caught out twice on different car's brakes and having all my facts to hand, I always seem to get the right parts first time round at the counter - via the website, maybe not!

Hopefully someone will be along with some advice.

As to 'BREMBO', all that glitters is not Gold, and just because a good reputation means nothing, 

there are what ECP have and sell.    

Remember to get good Brake Fluid, and Brake Pipes, 

and maybe you are as well upgrading the Calipers / Discs and Pads, not expensive,

because just fitting standard size BREMBO Discs and pads does not necessarily better braking give with a Mk2 Fabia vRS.   IMO that is.

Hum, I forgot about PARTS and ECP's selling versions of "PARTS" - some day ECP will start challenging some of us, or maybe even better, selling only the real things as  where relevant, fitted at the factory.

• Like 1

when i changed mine these were codes quoted on email from my tuning shop beginning of last year. I chose EBC's in the end with redstuff pads ( a bit overkill for road use):

The brembo links are below too..

Brembo

Front discs £39 each  http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/10444079a

Front pads £42 pair   http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/10144113a

Rear discs £22 each

Rear pads £20 pair

EBC

Front discs (grooved & dimpled – vented) £159 pair   http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/926445321

Front pads (Greenstuff) £68 pair  http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/93044025g

Rear discs (grooved & dimpled – vented) £115 pair

Rear pads (Greenstuff) £42 pair

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Got the ECP codes now. It's just the pads and discs along with fluid that is getting done. Car has only 34k on the clock so don't think I'll be getting the whole lot replaced. 

• Like 1

As long as they are getting serviced they will be as good as new then.  So just about up to the job then, as from new they are rather cr4p.

?

How old is your 34,000 mile car, going on for 5 years now?

Have the Spark Plugs been changed do you know?

Did your DSG need Service Campaign '34H5', a software update?

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

As long as they are getting serviced they will be as good as new then.  So just about up to the job then, as from new they are rather cr4p.

?

How old is your 34,000 mile car, going on for 5 years now?

Have the Spark Plugs been changed do you know?

Did your DSG need Service Campaign '34H5', a software update?

Car is 2013 so just coming up to 5 years. Fully serviced by Skoda - Colne. Every 12 months give or take a week or so. Had it's plugs changed in January on it's major service. DSG 34H5 was done January 2016 (I think) But it has been done I just don't know what year. 

Reason I want the brakes doing is because when it was in for it's service in January they flagged the 'corrosion' on them. Not sure if they were fishing for work though. 

Bought the car in October 2015 for £8200 with 17k on the clock. Had it serviced in January as I didn't think it had had it's service when Evans Halshaw said it had. It gets done every year as I don't drive it that much. It's also not an oil drinker as I've never had to top up. 

• Like 1

Check if they do need changing, 'upselling and Brake Disc corrosion advisories are just their 'Simply Clever' but not to be trusted stuff. Simply Fixed, increase work / profits.

The brake Fluid change was due in 2016 though, so again in 2018.

But the fluid can be tested for moisture and if needs changing.,  'Simply Clever' but does not earn them any work...

It was an older white one at Evan Halshaw i checked over, but the paint front and back was pretty much as with yours.

***EDIT.  Scrap that, mixing up your car with one in a post in the Styling & Car Care section, needing bumpers repaired or replaced.

It had a MOT at Evens Halshaw and they fitted new discs, which is nice....

It was late 2016 before Skoda started the '34H5' service campaigns.

The one before was '34F7' and still some 2013 cars had that, Mineral oil instead of Synthetic and a software update.

Edited by AwaoffSki

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

It was late 2016 before Skoda started the '34H5' service campaigns.

The one before was '34F7' and still some 2013 cars had that, Mineral oil instead of Synthetic and a software update.

It was the update on the DSG that stopped the clutch from slipping. Not got the paperwork to hand but it wasn't to have any oil changed. 

I'm getting the alloys refurbed next month so I'll hold off until then and ask the guy to take pictures of them for me. I didn't trust what they (simpsons) said as they didn't have evidence of the corrosion but took a picture of the top of the engine cover mount (one fixed to a pipe) which I politely declined. 

I just know I got a good deal out of EH after they tried ripping me off with my finance,but that's a completely different story haha. 

• Like 1

?

Who told you it was an update to stop clutch slip.  that is highly likely to be incorrect, or as some know it, a lie, false.

What was this for the engine cover, the £1.50 rubber missing?

Edited by AwaoffSki

21 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

Who told you it was an update to stop clutch slip.  that is highly likely to be incorrect, or as some know it, a lie, false.

What was this for the engine cover, the £1.50 rubber missing?

Skoda told me this. I'll let you know what code it is when I get home. Interesting. They said it was an update to reduce clutch slip. Explains why others I've spoken to haven't had that done on there's. They make me mad do dealers but I'm only using them as I know how fragile the 1.4tsi engine is. 

It's the one at the top,it's connected to a pipe that goes along the top of the engine. Can not tell you what it's called. It wasn't cheap to replace. I'd need the pipe replacing too. I don't have the picture to show you. 

Really there is nothing on the top of the engine that should need replacing other than the Breather Pipe Upgrade that was done on the CAVE engines 

and some early CTHE still got done,

which was an odd thing as the CTHE was an upgrade so should never have needed that.

The '34F5' DSG Service campaign was an issue about heat and pressure, so a Software Update was required.

There should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing it as done and the date.

(The Mk3 Fabia DQ200 DSG's are having Clutch Slip issues and a TPI is issued on them, but only recently, like in the last few weeks.)

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Really there is nothing on the top of the engine that should need replacing other than the Breather Pipe Upgrade that was done on the CAVE engines 

and some early CTHE still got done,

which was an odd thing as the CTHE was an upgrade so should never have needed that.

The '34F5' DSG Service campaign was an issue about heat and pressure, so a Software Update was required.

There should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing it as done and the date.

(The Mk3 Fabia DQ200 DSG's are having Clutch Slip issues and a TPI is issued on them, but only recently, like in the last few weeks.)

Home from work and got my paperwork out. The DSG update they did was the 34H5 'gearbox control unit software update'.

The thing at the top of the engine is literally the top part that secures the engine cover. Closer to the window as you look at the engine. (See picture). They wanted £51.44 for it to be replaced. The description on the paperwork is 'pipe damaged that secures engine cover'. It's no breather pipe etc.. Apologies for any confusion but it's hard to explain. 

The picture is from my service records sent to me by Simpson's via text message. 

Screenshot_20180329-000118.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

when i changed mine these were codes quoted on email from my tuning shop beginning of last year. 

Off topic but arnt you the guy who lives / works local to me? How have I not seen your car about yet?