Should I stay with Superb Estate?

I am thinking of replacing my 2011 superb executive estate 2.0 Tsi. It’s done 54000 and has been good but I have a slight issue with the dsg box where it lets the car run back on hills if you take the foot of the gas whilst parking. Not sure if this problem has ever been resolved on the petrol engined cars, I think the 6 speed diesel is OK. I like top spec motors and have looked at the l&k and executive superb. I am tempted to move to 5 series tourer but wondered if any one could comment on the latest petrol engined dsg Superb.

49 minutes ago, hamro said:

I am thinking of replacing my 2011 superb executive estate 2.0 Tsi. It’s done 54000 and has been good but I have a slight issue with the dsg box where it lets the car run back on hills if you take the foot of the gas whilst parking. Not sure if this problem has ever been resolved on the petrol engined cars, I think the 6 speed diesel is OK. I like top spec motors and have looked at the l&k and executive superb. I am tempted to move to 5 series tourer but wondered if any one could comment on the latest petrol engined dsg Superb.

Can't comment on living with the estate or a TSI (yet) as I have a diesel hatch, with a 280 TSI due at the end of April.   DSG boxes get Hill Hold as standard now so that will use the cars braking system to apply the brakes until you are moving forward, you shouldn't roll back.  

Having test drove the 220 and 280 TSI's quite a bit before making my mind up, both are lovely and TBH there's very little in it at lower speeds/revs as the engine torque figures are the same for both.  Only when you really press on does the 280 come into it's own. I've never driven either in the wet so can't comment on the benefits of 4x4 on the 280 (the 220 is FWD, 280 is 4x4) but when I was pondering my choice the general consensus on here was the 220's can break traction in the wet, when pulling out of junctions,  whereas the 280 sends power to the rear and traction is maintained. 

It's a cracking engine though, with smooth and linear power delivery.  I thought my current diesel was refined until I started test driving the petrols.  My understanding is that the 280 should get ~30mpg and the 220 ~40mpg, obviously dependent on load and driving style. 

Apparently the order books are currently closed on the petrol Superbs as Skoda are about to introduce a Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF),  so if you want the engine in it's current implementation you'll need to buy used or try and see what stock there is without a buyer assigned.  Or just wait until June/July when you'll be able to order the new engine, which will also have the newer (I think DQ500) 7 spd, wet clutch DSG.  

I can't comment on the BMW 5 series other than if I could afford an almost new one with the same spec as my Superb then I'd have tested one.  Lovely cars and meant to be one of the best allrounders on the market, even in times where diesel is the devils work, a 530d or 535d (with xdrive) would be what I'd go for.  

The current Superb is very nice though and defo the best car I've had.  Within my budget and fancy there's nothing else I'd replace it with at the moment.  

Edited by penguin17

Can't comment on the petrol version - my L&K 190 is diesel as I do insane mileage. What I can say though is I couldn't find a car nearly as well-appointed of the same age in anything like the same price range. What kind of price or age differential are you seeing on L&K/SEL Executive versus the top spec 5 series?

Just took delivery of a 1.4TSI 150BHP Sportline Combi last week and I am loving every second of it. Plenty fast enough for my needs and as smooth as butter.  The auto-hold system is also working like a charm.

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Can't comment on living with the estate or a TSI (yet) as I have a diesel hatch, with a 280 TSI due at the end of April.   DSG boxes get Hill Hold as standard now so that will use the cars braking system to apply the brakes until you are moving forward, you shouldn't roll back.  

Having test drove the 220 and 280 TSI's quite a bit before making my mind up, both are lovely and TBH there's very little in it at lower speeds/revs as the engine torque figures are the same for both.  Only when you really press on does the 280 come into it's own. I've never driven either in the wet so can't comment on the benefits of 4x4 on the 280 (the 220 is FWD, 280 is 4x4) but when I was pondering my choice the general consensus on here was the 220's can break traction in the wet, when pulling out of junctions,  whereas the 280 sends power to the rear and traction is maintained. 

It's a cracking engine though, with smooth and linear power delivery.  I thought my current diesel was refined until I started test driving the petrols.  My understanding is that the 280 should get ~30mpg and the 220 ~40mpg, obviously dependent on load and driving style. 

Apparently the order books are currently closed on the petrol Superbs as Skoda are about to introduce a Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF),  so if you want the engine in it's current implementation you'll need to buy used or try and see what stock there is without a buyer assigned.  Or just wait until June/July when you'll be able to order the new engine, which will also have the newer (I think DQ500) 7 spd, wet clutch DSG.  

I can't comment on the BMW 5 series other than if I could afford an almost new one with the same spec as my Superb then I'd have tested one.  Lovely cars and meant to be one of the best allrounders on the market, even in times where diesel is the devils work, a 530d or 535d (with xdrive) would be what I'd go for.  

The current Superb is very nice though and defo the best car I've had.  Within my budget and fancy there's nothing else I'd replace it with at the moment.  

What ! A 7 speed DSG version of the 2.0 tsi is coming ? I'm literally two weeks of my 1.4 tsi DSG being delivered but discounted the 2.0 based on fuel economy. But my current car is the 2.0 tsi in the scirocco and it's a joy to drive! 

Ideally i'd want a 1.8 or 2.0 with 200bhp mark but with ACT technology but this new filter sounds interesting.  Damn should I have waited ! I was very impressed with the 1.4 i thought it would be flat as a fart but it was nimble and smooth as butter on the test drive! 

15 minutes ago, jrgmiles said:

What ! A 7 speed DSG version of the 2.0 tsi is coming ?

Apparently so, yes. 

Not sure of the exact reasoning behind it; could be that the 6spd is being phased out, could be the 7th gear allows the car to be more efficient at motorway speed, ultimately reducing emissions.

It was mentioned in a Skoda press release which was linked to on page 2 of this thread:

It was quoted by ewlmr and it specifically said Superb and Octavia but when you click on the link now it only references the Octavia.  The fact that people on here are having orders for 280's rejected at the factory mean the change is still going ahead though; I just can't find the other article I read on a German site which mentioned that a 7spd box was being fitted to the new Skoda 2.0 TSI engines.

Thanks all for your posts. My existing car has the hill hold which works fine, say at traffic lights on a hill. However If you are parking on a hill,either forward or reverse, if you ease off the gas the car can suddenly loose traction and run forward or backward. It’s done it from new and you get used to it by using the handbrake but my wife finds it quite unnerving.  You tend to forget about it unless you regularly park on a hill.  My car has the 2.0 litre 160bhp engine which I have always found adequate although 220bhp does sound tempting. I have been looking at nearly new Superbs, around 27k for elegance and 30k for L&K, whereas similar age  2018 demonstrator BMWs are around 36k for a 2.0 litre 228 bhp or 38k for a 2.0 litre 276bhp. Amazing how they produce such a wide range of power with the same capacity engine. I had a 6 pot 5 series before the Superb.  There is no doubt the Skoda is a well specified great value motor and I never regretted buying it in 2011. Perhaps I just fancy a change!

21 minutes ago, jrgmiles said:

What ! A 7 speed DSG version of the 2.0 tsi is coming ? I'm literally two weeks of my 1.4 tsi DSG being delivered but discounted the 2.0 based on fuel economy.

Having more gears does not mean more mpg. If they fit a very high 7th it will only get used once a flood and probably the car will drop into 6th the minute you breath of the loud pedal. Its more normal to close the other gears and add in a 7th, this can improve the cars flexibility but with a TSi with the incredibly flexible engine its simply not necessary.

When I drove a DSG 1.4 TSi I found the 7 speed box totally pointless, the 6 gears of the manual are plenty.

1 hour ago, hamro said:

Thanks all for your posts. My existing car has the hill hold which works fine, say at traffic lights on a hill. However If you are parking on a hill,either forward or reverse, if you ease off the gas the car can suddenly loose traction and run forward or backward. It’s done it from new and you get used to it by using the handbrake but my wife finds it quite unnerving.

If you give the brake pedal a good push it will engage the auto hold.

1 hour ago, jrgmiles said:

What ! A 7 speed DSG version of the 2.0 tsi is coming ? I'm literally two weeks of my 1.4 tsi DSG being delivered but discounted the 2.0 based on fuel economy. But my current car is the 2.0 tsi in the scirocco and it's a joy to drive! 

The  2.0 tsi had a 6 speed gearbox because the dry plate 7 speed could not handle the torque. As the new 7 speed is wet it can.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hamro said:

My current car has a dry 7 speed dsg box.

So has mine. It it's being phased out as it has been unreliable, although mine has been no trouble so far.

Mine has been fine apart from the hill problem. Does that mean if I buy a 18 plate petrol it will still have the same dry 7 speed?

1.4 TSI, 1.8 TSI and 1.6 TDI has the DQ200 7-speed dry-clutch box. Have’nt heard of that getting phased out. 

Very happy with the 7-speed DSG on our 190 TSI SEAT Ateca - 7th gives lower revs/mph than 6th in my 150 TDi 6-speed DSG (lower than 6th in my previous 150 TDi manual too) and 1st to 6th are spread out nicely so the steps in revs between gears are quite even and changes are smooth.  It cruises comfortably in 7th from 60-ish mph up and doesn't drop back to 6th unless provoked.  I'm convinced the 7-speed does improve driving comfort and give better fuel economy compared to the 6-speed, wish I had it on mine.