TPMS can it be disabled

@AwaoffSki, obviously you don't get how this system work. 

It is wheel independent, each one on its own is being constantly followed-up on torsional resonance changes. You can actually fit all 4 wheels of a different sizes and types, and it will work. Maybe ESP will complain, but TPMS will not. Each wheel has it's own stored frequency footprint which sophisticated software is continuously checking with feedback it gets from the ESP sensor.

Yes i know exactly how it works and in a lot less than 1 hour.

It knows nothing about the pressure of the air in the tyre.

Does not know what gas or even if Water or a liquid or mousse or a tyre retainer is in the tyre.

Edited by AwaoffSki

The system is there because complete morons were driving German Cars with Run Flat tyres and never knew they had a puncture.

No need for Engineering Degrees just read the Owners Manual and understand.

Pity that Factory trained technicians and fitters in Dealerships can not sus out what they are diagnosing and supposed to maintain.

KISS was all that was needed, for drivers without a clue,  

now as you know there are cars telling you each tyres pressure and temp in real time, 

evens as you are mid corner or drift.

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

there are cars telling you each tyres pressure and temp in real time

But that needs sensors in each wheel plus a receiver/decoder - and on cheaper cars the manufacturers don't want to reduce their profit by fitting that extra hardware so they go for the cheaper and less effective option of a software only "solution" using the ABS wheel sensors which has no hardware cost per car.

It all comes down to the car manufacturers being cheapskates...

They make more profit, us owners get more hassle - simples!!!

• Like 2

Exactly.

Skoda were among the last to fit as standard,

as with ESP, they were still offering as a Option right up to the time the legislation required as standard on some models. ie Fabia Mk2.  Years after other manufacturers were fitting as standard even on cheaper vehicles.

Simpler the better.

Indirect TPMS is sufficient to every normal driver, as you need to know if a deviation occur. Why would you care all the time to know exact pressure of each tire? Direct is for autistic people, normal people check well being of their car from time to time, as their life may depend on being more involved.

Edited by nidza

Normal people used to check tyre pressures regularly, change by the season etc. 

New when there was air loss, and the system discussed does the job of seeing a tyres circumference changing.

As to the other system, and pressures / heat and individual tyres, some drive performance cars in a spirited manner and seem to like things like that, 

like G meters and all other sorts of extra tech. 

Like many things, different strokes for different folks.  Maybe they have the tyres only checked at services.

8 minutes ago, nidza said:

Indirect TPMS is sufficient to every normal driver, as you need to know if a deviation occur. Why would you care all the time to know exact pressure of each tire?

Some people are not normal drivers.

Some people assume that because the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System light has not come on the tyre pressures are correct.

They then don't bother checking the tyre pressures as they are waiting for the warning light to come on.

As the indirect TMPS system does not notice a slow change it will not go off but the pressure will slowly go down.

You can then get to a point when all four tyres are underinflated but with no warning.

Had one car in ( with runflats on though ) with four tyres all at less than 18 PSI in them.

Driver had not noticed the slow change and the pressures had not been checked in the last 11 months.

Highway code under tyre pressures says  ' Check weekly ':blush:

Present fine for an incorrectly inflated tyre is 3 points and £2500 maximum fine.:blush

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

I don't know how it works on other cars, but on Octavia, it does detect slow loss of pressure. It detects neglected tires, loss in all 4 after not inflating them for a longer period of time. 

It also detects slow deflating puncture. My opinion, by deeply understanding how this system works, is that fast puncture might be a problem for it, and definitely a puncture while car is parked. If you start driving such a car, you will completely ruin a tire before it detects - but this is just my guess. Maybe it is smart enough for this scenario as well.

I stand with this arguments with my own experience with the car from signature.

I really do not know how it was implemented on another brand, as I assume you speak about Beamer (runflats mentioned).

On an Octavia it does not detect all 4 pressures reducing.

Maybe let 5 psi out of each tyre and find out.

PS 

People on phones might not see your signature, but i have seen it is an Octavia 230 vRS

PPS

It was when the BMW MINI was launched that there were really quite a few drivers that never knew they were driving with a puncture.

Edited by AwaoffSki