Does yours look like this?

The rear skirt tapers in for the exhaust? Not noticed it before. Should I be concerned?

20180331_171150.jpg

Thanks Davy.

I saw it from a distance today and thought it looked a bit odd and I can't find any photo's online to see if it's normal.

Rick, mines not like that. You cannot even see my tailpipe. Wondering if the car has had something forced up against the bumper skirt. If it has pushed up the metal body behind it the skirt can deform and be held in the deformed shape by the clips that link it to the car. Take a look at your boot floor from inside around that area if you can.

Thanks. I don't know how on earth it could have happened as I've never knowingly backed into anything,and I certainly would have heard it.

I'll investigate further tomorrow although an initial look shows no damage,scratches,scrapes etc.

Thanks all!

I have to confess something (I can blame my age).:blush:

I have suddenly had a distant memory of backing into a traffic cone outside my parents house last summer (don't know why the parking sensors didn't pick up on it).

As estate man has already said the cone must have pushed the skirt up behind the clip and I've near enough fixed it now thank goodness. Just need to screw it in when I get chance.

Fancy not knowing all that time as I can be a bit too fussy with my car usually.

Thanks for the picture Pullock mine looks like that now :).

3 minutes ago, RickW said:

Thanks all!

I have to confess something (I can blame my age).:blush:

I have suddenly had a distant memory of backing into a traffic cone outside my parents house last summer (don't know why the parking sensors didn't pick up on it).

As estate man has already said the cone must have pushed the skirt up behind the clip and I've near enough fixed it now thank goodness. Just need to screw it in when I get chance.

Fancy not knowing all that time as I can be a bit too fussy with my car usually.

Thanks for the picture Pullock mine looks like that now :).

Glad to hear its sorted now, I was almost expecting mine to be tapered too, I was almost on the floor to make sure it wasn't. 

• Sad 1

Ouch, can't be as tough as that, if traffic cones have a weighed "collar" on them they become quite heavy.

I was using my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza one day to collect some parts from my local VW dealer, it also has no reversing sensors, I drove it into a parking slot and noted that the space behind was clear. When I returned to the car, I seem to have just jumped in and reversed into the still empty space opposite - only problem was, some one had, by that time placed a parking cone in it to "reserve" it, initially I assumed that I had driven over a water hose, then looked in the mirror while driving away and saw a parking cone. Now, this is the handy/good part of this tale, the Ibiza has a sloping inwards lower section of its bumper and at the point where the cone was contacted there is a plain black sloping inwards rear skirt - so absolutely no sign of any contact being made with the bumper, perfect!

Edit:- well any marks/deposits could be scrubbed off with a stiff brush etc.

Edited by rum4mo

The rear skirt is quite pliable and the cone went underneath so I guess enough force to knock it off the clip. I remember backing out fairly quickly as it's a large driveway and no traffic visible. Didn't have the time to inspect it and forgot all about it until I saw the shape of it the other day. It didn't look as noticeable as on the picture as it's fairly well hidden.

I didn't see what type it was AGFalco but it could have been a Frankenstein :D