Skoda is doing well it seems

11 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Agreed. All cars might have issues that's just normal. There is A LOT of moving parts and parts in general. As you said, basically there is no car without some sort of issues. Some start soon some come later.
But at Audi people don't refuse warranty claims or make fool out of you that not all cars are the same... 

Also I'm sure you've had less rattles than I have:
- Front suspension ( wishbone arms some say is the word for it, but these are also loud under smaller holes not just big ones )
- Rear suspension ( knocking sound over bumps, sometimes you can hear it through music )
- Front passenger doors knocking ( sounds like lock is jumping on some metal and its really really loud, at 50% volume ( canton ) I can still hear it )
- Rattles in driver's air vents 
- Rattles in drivers seat head rest ( you hear it just when you put your head back, very comforting hearing plastic sound )
- Drivers door handle ( plastic interior ) clicks when you pull it, like its jumping out of plastic socket inside doors
AND MORE...

Some of these were refused by the dealer at first, till I got really mad. But now I'm waiting, waiting and waiting, to get schedule for fixes. The rattles are so bad I'm tired of driving this car. 
Basically I'm mostly disappointed by the dealership, so my next car is not going to be either VW, Audi or Skoda (they're biggest service for the 3 brands in Slovenia). 

I grew up in Jugoslavia in the 80s and 90s and Skoda used to be communist rust buckets so these days I can't be left but astounded how they have turned around

1 minute ago, TonyTonic said:

I grew up in Jugoslavia in the 80s and 90s and Skoda used to be communist rust buckets so these days I can't be left but astounded how they have turned around

Well they're owned by VW for quite some time now. A lot of technology and parts come from VW which makes the cars much easier to assemble and create. They don't need to design engines any more, or suspension, or basically most of the parts in car. Even the media system is created by VW (the internal parts). So honestly the cars today are no longer Skoda.

If VW wouldn't purchase Skoda, today the cars wouldn't be much better than they used to be. 

16 minutes ago, JackySi said:

If VW wouldn't purchase Skoda, today the cars wouldn't be much better than they used to be. 

I think if it hadn't been VAG it would have been someone else (like a number of the old Communist-era manufacturers - Dacia for example taken over by Renault). Historically the Czech Republic has produced a hard-working, well-educated and experienced engineering work-force which is cost-effective, but the country was horribly under-invested (generally - not just Skoda) re automation and modern working practices. So combine the Czech work-force with the re-use of existing VAG automation and design investment, and it's a win-win for the group. And as a younger generation that has never seen or experienced the old soviet-era Skodas grows up, the brand will be seen for what it now is - a competent competitor in each of the markets it serves. Hence the ever-closing price differential between Skoda and its competitors which is at least in part driving the margins being reported at the moment (haven't Skoda just today increased prices again?). And look at China, where I doubt anyone will even realise Skoda existed pre-VAG. Sales growth through the roof as they are producing good cars at a good price that are not seen through a prism of history.

So in my view, if VW hadn't purchased Skoda someone else would have - and if nobody had purchased Skoda they would not exist today.

34 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Well they're owned by VW for quite some time now. A lot of technology and parts come from VW which makes the cars much easier to assemble and create. They don't need to design engines any more, or suspension, or basically most of the parts in car. Even the media system is created by VW (the internal parts). So honestly the cars today are no longer Skoda.

Well a lot of those VW parts you speak of are manufactured and/or assembled in Škoda plants, not just by Audi or VW.

Skoda plants are very efficient and I don’t doubt cheaper labour costs are also a major factor. 

My point still stands. Brand today wouldn't exist without VAG. VAG would exist without Skoda. They did contribute to VAG as well of course. But these cars today are no longer just "Škoda" or "VW" or "Seat". All share platforms, parts, chips, materials, etc... So what I was saying is respond to @TonyTonic that Škoda is not what it used to be in Yugoslavia. Its now "VW ŠKODA AUDI".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackySi said:

My point still stands. Brand today wouldn't exist without VAG. VAG would exist without Skoda. They did contribute to VAG as well of course. But these cars today are no longer just "Škoda" or "VW" or "Seat". All share platforms, parts, chips, materials, etc... So what I was saying is respond to @TonyTonic that Škoda is not what it used to be in Yugoslavia. Its now "VW ŠKODA AUDI".

Oh I agree. VAG have acquired wisely and built some strong brands, which would otherwise have disappeared. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Well a lot of those VW parts you speak of are manufactured and/or assembled in Škoda plants, not just by Audi or VW.

It's an important point. Give a clever bunch of people the latest tools and they will reward you with much more than just "bolt it together accurately and cheaply" - you also get them contributing to improvements in design and manufacturing that work their way back into the group products. We are also seeing Skoda people being promoted into the top end of VAG and beyond more and more often. 

6 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I don't think any of us are disagreeing Jacky. What we are saying is it's a 2-way street. VAG have improved Skoda, but there is little doubt in my mind that Skoda have also improved VAG and not just by providing cheap labour. Otherwise Skoda would just be building Passats under licence.

Edit: beaten to it by Penguin as usual:D

Edited by BriskodaJeff
  • Like 2

The big problem that VAG have in Germany are the german unions and the stake they own in the German plants which gives them the power to dictate wages etc.

That gives Skoda and Seat a big advantage, which german unions apparently now are trying to usurp.

• Like 2

Spot on, xman. Both German unions and even some of the VW brand’s own management have made noises suggesting Skoda ought to be paying more for its components so they compete on a level playing field.

Interestingly, the latest UK car sales figures show only one VW Group car in the top 10 best selling new cars - the Golf. No other VWs, no Skodas, Seats or Audis are in that top 10.

2 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

Spot on, xman. Both German unions and even some of the VW brand’s own management have made noises suggesting Skoda ought to be paying more for its components so they compete on a level playing field.

Interestingly, the latest UK car sales figures show only one VW Group car in the top 10 best selling new cars - the Golf. No other VWs, no Skodas, Seats or Audis are in that top 10.

What others are in the top 10?

'Brits' or non Brits in the UK might have more than 1 car, a Big car, a Little car, a Van, a Pickup.

& 'They' might like to get them on easy finance or lease drive for 2 or 3 years and then hand them back.

Ford & Vauxhall are just like VW, they Pre Reg lots and sell used and have high First Registrations, Fleet Cars, Motability cars etc.

So the Manufacturers Finance Companies buy lots of new cars, and Lease companies buy lots, more than half of UK cars bought new.

Polo, Fiesta, Corsa, Golf leased. Rented and returned, Used car market full of Ex Demonstrators 3-6 months on, 3,000 miles plus.

New car available in 3 months after you bags it, only it has a registered keeper before you, and the HMRC / Tax payer helped give the Dealership a better profit, just as happens with Skoda and they first register less than 80,000 a year in the UK.

Many still 'Demonstrators'.  

Skoda UK doing so so.  maybe better now with the Kodiak & the Karoq.

http://best-selling-cars.com/britain-uk/2017-full-year-britain-best-selling-car-brands 

Edited by AwaoffSki

On 03/04/2018 at 19:04, Whenwillilearn said:

So why do we buy skodas? After all they are doing well as stated so cars are selling (or leasing) well.

For the badge?

We shop to a budget?

The chance to buy into VAG for all its glory?

Sensibility?

........?

I looked at all the other main brands when selecting a replacement for a 2.0 petrol Mondeo Titanium X:

• Mondeo Vignale 240 ps - £35810
  • Audi A6 Avant S lIne 3.0 TDI - £55580
  • BMW 528i Luxury Touring - £53985

All before discount or haggling. I paid less than  £28k for my L&K 2.0 TSI.

I knew what standard I wanted.  The badges mean nothing to me, I have had BMWs and nothing entices me to an Audi, why would I spend twice as much anyway.  The Ford i could probably have got a good discount on but wanted to move on.

So to me it was really a relatively straightforward value for money decision