Why does my odometer disappear and kph display when I start driving

Hi everyone 

i’ve just bought a 2013 Fabia reaction.

when I start driving the odometer changes to kph. Looked in the handbook and can’t find anything 

can i keep my odometer displayed while I’m driving? I’m one of those sad people who like to see the next 1000 miles appear

My understanding is that all cars have to be able to display both mph and kph under an EU rule.  Due to the fact the the speedo in the fabia only shows MPH they have to show KPH on the maxidot display.

They only have to be able to show it in countries where there is km or mph, so the manufacturers have to allow that.

You do not need km showing in the UK.

So some change that to show the large MPH in the Maxidot.

They use Australian Setting.    there are threads on that, or someone will maybe be along to explain.

Sorry no idea why your odometer disappears and then shows km instead of miles.

Are you in the UK?

3 minutes ago, Tjr40 said:

Yes it’s the total distance the car has travelled in its lifetime.  The manual alludes to the fact it can be changed but I can’t find how to do it. Thank you for your help :)

Somewhere in the Maxidot Menus  there will be a settings section, you need to find " Quantaties " menu, ( I think thats it ) In that section you car alter  KPH to MPH along with other  settings

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Somewhere in the Maxidot Menus  there will be a settings section, you need to find " Quantaties " menu, ( I think thats it ) In that section you car alter  KPH to MPH along with other  settings

Hi I don’t want it to show mph I want it to go back to showing total miles odometer which it does when it’s not moving if that makes sense 

The skoda I am in now shows seat belts not fastened when not moving and the miles not showing.

Interested in your 65 plate Reaction. When was it built?       PS,  I tell a lie,  the total miles still shows then seats symbols go and shows kmph.      must get glasses sometime....

Edited by AwaoffSki

Now that I've thought about this, I think that you will find that most modern cars hide/dismiss the total miles run display when the car is moving and use that space in a limited display area for something more important/relevant.

I could be wrong though!

Have you tried pressing that "settings" or something button to see if it offers you a choice of what gets show in that area of the display when you are on the move - the button on the left of the "reset" one with the 0 on it?

As the old saying goes, "They all do this sir"!

Regulations (from the EU?) state that vehicles must be capable of showing speed in kph.  Most manufacturers get around this by having dual scales on the speedo dial but the VW group (and probably others) show it in digital form.

If you pay the extra for the maxidot dash then kph has its own display, but on the bargain basement standard dash there is no room for it so they use the odometer digits that switch from odometer to kph as soon as you start moving.

I guess their logic is "why would you need to see the total miles while you are driving?".  Personally, the logic I would use is "give me a switch so I can turn it on when I drive in a kph country!"  But hey!  This is the EU...  but not much longer...

• Thanks 1