Lane Assist

10 hours ago, Delaide said:

No mumphie, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Look at some of the earlier posts, particularly ahenners photo of the menu screen. These posts advise that LA and ALG have distinctly different functions and can be selected separately.

On my 245, ALG is a sub-function of LA. You can't have ALG enabled without LA. And as mentioned, LA is pretty useless without ALG...

Mumphie, whether Lane Assist is useful without ALG appears to be a subjective matter - see earlier posts from ahenners and SachaGrace. At this stage I don’t need to engage with that discussion.  I’m just trying to find out if it works at all, in the UK, when you’ve got your hands on the wheel. It seems like such a simple question, but it’s gone all over the shop. If you haven’t already done so, please read my first post. 

On 18/04/2018 at 18:03, mumphie said:

However, it's far too sensitive to lack of input, ie. You can't just rest your hands on the wheel and let the car guide you without it prompting you to take over.

The prompting is deliberate, to stop you doing exactly that.

On 18/04/2018 at 20:49, shyVRS245 said:

Bit like the fully autonomous Tesla that drove into the side of a trailer crossing a road in the U.S.A. because the onboard cameras could not see a hazard ahead and killed the driver. Whoops!

Current Teslas are not autonomous. Their assistance systems are not all that different to Skoda's, and people who have tried to let the car drive for them have ended up dead.

22 hours ago, Delaide said:

Mumphie, whether Lane Assist is useful without ALG appears to be a subjective matter - see earlier posts from ahenners and SachaGrace. At this stage I don’t need to engage with that discussion.  I’m just trying to find out if it works at all, in the UK, when you’ve got your hands on the wheel. It seems like such a simple question, but it’s gone all over the shop. If you haven’t already done so, please read my first post. 

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but it's certainly not supposed to work with your hands off the wheel as the warnings demonstrate.

The one thing I know for certain is that it does work with your hands off the wheel ... (sobs hysterically). You are just not meant to drive like that. It’s an emergency safety measure, presumably in case you pass out. 

7 hours ago, Delaide said:

The one thing I know for certain is that it does work with your hands off the wheel ... (sobs hysterically). You are just not meant to drive like that. It’s an emergency safety measure, presumably in case you pass out. 

That's what makes us human beings because we like to experiment (take risks) by doing stuff a computer tells us not to do or life would be very tedious indeed! Waits for the do-gooder backlash.:o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delaide said:

No, Lane Assist won’t let you drive with your hands off the wheel for any length of time. If you don’t regrip it stops the car.

It doesn't stop the car (at least in the UK). That would be CRAZY dangerous! It gives an audible alarm and disables the Lane Assist.

53 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

More modern lane assist systems do stop cars when you aren’t responding. Some in lane, others will pull over. From the discussions going on here I gather Australian laws on driver assistance tech are different to the laws in the UK.

If the car stops (suddenly?) if you merely let go of the wheel, that would be disastrous! I really can't believe that's the case - that would essentially be the manufacturer taking responsibility for the lack of activity of the driver, and I genuinely don't believe any manufacturer would be willing to do that. This is the crux of the driverless car debate!

It's not an emergency stop, but the car won't hang about. It'll put the hazards on while it's doing it. The system in newer VAG cars pulls the car over, puts the hazards on and calls for help. Have a look at the CarWow reviews by Mat Watson on YouTube and watch the Arteon and new A-Class review to see what I mean. He tests the systems in those cars and you'll see the Merc system stops you in lane and the VAG system pulls you over.

33 minutes ago, mumphie said:

If the car stops (suddenly?) if you merely let go of the wheel, that would be disastrous! I really can't believe that's the case - that would essentially be the manufacturer taking responsibility for the lack of activity of the driver, and I genuinely don't believe any manufacturer would be willing to do that. This is the crux of the driverless car debate!

The future is getting into a DRIVERLESS TAXI which you have requested at the pub sending a text from your SMART PHONE. Embrace the future, it's just round the next corner, fortunately/unfortunately. At least I won't be driving an electric car any time soon!:sleepy:

With hands off the wheel it’s an escalated response. Initially it nudges you back into your lane, if you don’t regrip, then the wheel vibrates, thereafter an alarm dings and a dramatic red warning light shows on the dash (on the Multi-function Display I think). If you still don’t grip the wheel it stops the car. [I think I’ve got this sequence right, I’ve only tried it once, it’s a bit scary.] Presumably the assumption is that you are unconscious. It may be different in the UK. Certainly you have Adaptive Lane Guidance, which isn’t allowed in Australia. Our authorities are apparently not satisfied that semi-autonomous driving, which I gather from earlier comments is what ALG offers, is safe.

But this is all beside the point to me. What I’m interested in is what happens when your hands remain on the wheel. What I’m concluding from earlier comments is that if you try and change lanes without indicating, you get push back from the wheel. Similarly if your attention wanders and you drift towards your lane line (similar to changing lanes without indicating I guess), you get push back from the wheel. IF YOU HAVE LANE ASSIST ON YOUR SKODA AND ARE CONFIDENT THAT YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS AND HOW LANE ASSIST DIFFERS FROM ALG (forgive me for shouting but there are a lot of well-intentioned comments from people not in that category that are not adding clarity - I mean no offence) I would be very grateful if you could confirm, or otherwise, my understanding of how Lane Assist operates in the UK.

Your description is exactly correct. My car is set up with Lane Assist on and ALG off. I found with the ALG on the car was giving me too many warnings to 'take over steering' but with just the LA on, it does exactly as you describe. If you have the LA alone switched on and try to change lanes without indicating, the steering will resist you and try to nudge you back into the lane. If you take a corner and try to cut it and go over the lines the steering gets heavy and tries to push you back into the lane. I can regularly feel the Lane Assist working with my hands on the wheel, just the odd nudge, but it's there. Have you tired to drive with the Lane Assist display on the Maxidot? It's interesting to see which lane the computer is picking up and focusing on.

Hallelujah! Thank you SachaGrace. Please, nobody else say anything different ... I’m begging ... :sadsmile:

And no, I haven’t tried the Maxidot. Noticed it in the manual but couldn’t make sense of it. I’ll be happy just to get Lane Assist to work. 

15 minutes ago, Delaide said:

Hallelujah! Thank you SashaGrace. Please, nobody else say anything different ... I’m begging ... :sadsmile:

And no, I haven’t tried the Maxidot. Noticed it in the manual but couldn’t make sense of it. I’ll be happy just to get Lane Assist to work. 

It’s ok, have a go with the Maxidot display on, see how it looks. Sorry but I had to correct your spelling there. There’s no c in my name :D

That's very, very odd.... In mine, with ALG on, the car nudges me back into lane, unless I indicate. The warning light changes colour depending on whether it detects lines / is active. If I don't provide any steering input for a few seconds it bongs (or bings) and flashes a warning to take over control.

I have to say, I've never noticed any steering vibration or anything else. To be fair, I usually keep ALG on but when I've tried just LA without ALG, it seemed to be even more passive....

I might need to do some more thorough testing...

OK... But my wheel has never vibrated. And I haven't had the cajones to ignore the warning about taking control.... If it truly does pull you over automatically, that's a pretty scary function...

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The system in newer VAG cars pulls the car over, puts the hazards on and calls for help.

I hope it takes account of which country you're in (drive on the left vs. drive on the right), and what about if you're in the second, third or fourth lane - will it vear across the traffic on the inside?

Sounds like there are too many variables that need to be taken into account for "pulling over" to be correctly judged by an autonomous system...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delaide said:

IF YOU HAVE LANE ASSIST ON YOUR SKODA AND ARE CONFIDENT THAT YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS AND HOW LANE ASSIST DIFFERS FROM ALG (forgive me for shouting but there are a lot of well-intentioned comments from people not in that category that are not adding clarity - I mean no offence) I would be very grateful if you could confirm, or otherwise, my understanding of how Lane Assist operates in the UK.

Just had a run out, and both LA and ALG work as expected. No wheel vibration, but with LA, you basically bounce around the lane markings. It gives you a bit more leeway before warning you to take control. ALG keeps you (more or less) in the middle of the road, and intervenes a bit sooner. Other than that, they pretty much work the same way.

It can work with or without hands on the wheel, but if it doesn't detect some resistance to computer control, it warns you and switches itself off.

• 1 year later...

Hey, is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the steering wheel? I am holding it all the time, but it still bugs me to hold it? How can I adjust this? I have Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI y2020