Superb brake specifications?

Over in the Yeti section there's a very useful post that details which cars have which brakes. Does such a thing exist over here in the Superb section? I've done a quick search and not found anything.

59 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

Mine has brakes that work on all four wheels.

It stops when I want it to, what else do I need to know?

On the Yeti there is quite a difference in the brakes (diameter of disc and caliper) between the 110, 140 and 170 diesels. Although others haven't noticed much difference, I found the brakes on the 110 quite a let down so traded up to the 170 to get better braking performance, not better engine performance.

I'm looking at Superbs now and I'm wondering if there is a similar differentiation between (say) the 150, 220 and 280 petrol cars. If the brakes are all the same then I'd probably be satisfied with the 150. If not I may have to go for a higher spec car.

Everything over 150ps up to and including 220ps get 312mm at the front (vented) and 300mm at the rear (solid).  The 280ps gets 340mm at the front and 310mm at the rear (both vented).

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Everything over 150ps up to and including 220ps get 312mm at the front (vented) and 300mm at the rear (solid)The 280ps gets 340mm at the front and 310mm at the rear (both vented).

With unique disc hubs on rear that have a special 'extra rust ' enhancement process from factory  !!  .... Thank goodness for POR15 silver paint  :)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

With unique disc hubs on rear that have a special 'extra rust ' enhancement process from factory  !!  .... Thank goodness for POR15 silver paint  :)

Mine even makes sounds ^^ after just 19.000km - not that its loud or anything, must listen very carefully to hear anything. How did you paint the discs? Taped down breaking area and sprayed rest? 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Sadly not exclusive to the 280.  Mine spends most of it's time on the drive these days and the hubs look almost like those underwater shots of Titanic :crying:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackySi said:

Mine even makes sounds ^^ after just 19.000km - not that its loud or anything, must listen very carefully to hear anything. How did you paint the discs? Taped down breaking area and sprayed rest? 

Spaces between spokes on the 19 inch alloys pretty wide so able to simply brush paint on the areas affected with a very steady hand !!     

10 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Spaces between spokes on the 19 inch alloys pretty wide so able to simply brush paint on the areas affected with a very steady hand !!     

That sounds like you are a professional life painter :D haha I worry to over paint with removing wheels. Would never ever attempt through the alloys! So heat down, you must be da vinci's descendant :D. I have 18's too. Did you remove rust prior painting?

P.S.: Just read that this paint requires no removal prior painting :=). my bad

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JackySi said:

That sounds like you are a professional life painter :D haha I worry to over paint with removing wheels. Would never ever attempt through the alloys! So heat down, you must be da vinci's descendant :D. I have 18's too. Did you remove rust prior painting?

I did actually lightly sand off and then apply some POR15 metal Prep which further enhances the future protection once the actual POR15 paint has been applied.  Marvellous stuff - I also used it (albeit the black version) during a refurb. on my old Mk1 MX5 suspension arms .....   application by brush really is quite straightforward with a steady hand and appropriate brushes e.g. short handles !!

Nov 2015 - POR 15 applied plus Dinitrol into hidden crevices (3) - Copy.JPG

Edited by Boxerdog1
  • Like 1

All brake components rust, its a fact of life. Same on all brands of car. Providing the shiny surfaces of mine stay shiny I will relax and enjoy life, its too short to be spending time painting brake components.

33 minutes ago, skidpan said:

All brake components rust, its a fact of life. Same on all brands of car. Providing the shiny surfaces of mine stay shiny I will relax and enjoy life, its too short to be spending time painting brake components.

Good for you Skidpan , great to know that you are relaxing and enjoying life . Long may your rotors shine ! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Rusty rotors can cause degradation in brake performance. I don't think any one wants that?

The only thing I don't like about the brakes is I can hear noise from the rear disks whenever I brake.

I had an Octavia on loan and the noise from the rear disks was twice as bad so I suppose I mustn't complain too much.

15 hours ago, JackySi said:

Rusty rotors can cause degradation in brake performance. I don't think any one wants that?

Like I said, its only they shiny bits that matter and they clean up the moment you brake. Look at any brand of car, they all have rust on un protected brake components.

2 hours ago, skidpan said:

Like I said, its only they shiny bits that matter and they clean up the moment you brake. Look at any brand of car, they all have rust on un protected brake components.

That's not always 100% true. There are many  cases reported where pads are reshaped via rust. See one example (the brake surface is diminished):
Related image

This did happen often on older cars or cars that were not used for some time. But truth is also that this probably wouldn't be solved by paint ^^. 
My girlfriend had exact same issue on VW Jetta 2014. It diminished the brake pads so much that u could actually fell difference in performance.

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

My experience, FWIW.

I used to be at sea, and did four month trips away, with some 2 to 2.5 months at home. 

While "between wives", my car (XJS at the time) used to sit unused for up to 4 months.

It failed its MOT on disc corrosion...I had to replace all four.

The tech who did the MOT said the corrosion was probably down to lack of use, worst he had ever seen.

All my other cars have not had this problem, as they were run by SWMBO number 1 or 2 while I was away,  rust did  not have a chance to accumulate and get dug in.

My current "fun" car (SLK 32AMG) sits under dust sheets on a SORN for six months in winter, and comes out May 1st. 

She doesn't seem to suffer the same problem...dry garage or better quality materials in the discs?

y 'Da Vinci' 

On 4/11/2018 at 16:22, JackySi said:

On 4/11/2018 at 18:28, skidpan said:

My 'Da Vinci' hand painted POR15 Hubs ,  completed whilst I should have been relaxing and enjoying life ............. :biggrin:

Brake Hub cleaned and 'POR15'd'.JPG

• Like 2

On 14/04/2018 at 10:38, Boxerdog1 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daimageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950day 'Da Vinci' 

My 'Da Vinci' hand painted POR15 Hubs ,  completed whilst I should have been relaxing and enjoying life ............. :biggrin:imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da

Brake Hub cleaned and 'POR15'd'.JPG

I'll drop my 280 in with you, when I'm down in Cornwall next.  I'll even get a like-for-like courtesy car; not even Skoda provide that level of service.  Thanks! 

• Like 1