Front Wipers not working

Car just back from service and not driven for a couple of days.

Start car and front wipers not working on any selection. Check fuse and fuse ok.

Ignition off and on a few times and wipers work but at full speed only.

Drive car 1 mile, wipers now will not stop, ignition off and key out wipers still going full speed!

Only way to stop was to remove fuse. Fuse back in again and wipers now not working again.

Any thoughts anyone? Should I get it scanned for fault codes?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Zundap said:

ignition off and key out wipers still going full speed

This definitely doesn't make sense, the wipers should be stuck in the current position if the key is taken out while they work (on the 2008-2015, I think on the newer Superbs they've implemented the wiper return after ignition off). DON't know how this would e possible, unless the wiper relay has gone haywire (or someone rewired something). You could try and disconnect the car battery for half an hour and check after that

• Like 1

Back from work and tried wipers again but nothing on any setting even when pulling lever for screen wash.

Will take car back to garage tomorrow. All they did was oil, air and fuel filters plus brake discs.

I drove the car back no more than 2 miles in dry weather so had no need to use wipers.

Pretty sure there was no issue when I took it in.

Very strange this morning when wipers did eventually spring into life at full speed. Unable to alter using stalk or switch off. As I said with key out of ignition they were still going!!

Had to pull fuse under bonnet to stop them.

With fuse back in they haven’t worked since.

Is there a relay in the system or does anyone have a wiring diagram?

I would naturally assume the motor or linkage had failed but after they sprang into life a full speed I’m not so sure.

Bit of an update.

Had plug off wiper motor, 3 wires going to it 1:Purple 3:Brown 4:Red/White

With bonnet switch disconnected, stalk at slow speed, get 3-4: 11.74v

3-1:7.5v

3-earth :0.4 ohms

stalk at high speed

3-4: 11.74v

3-1: 2.2v

With plugs reconnected wipers not working.

Should I go for wiper motor as it seems to get power and supply changes with stalk setting?

I saw this reference to wipers on a Passat forum which will probably be the same as yours :-

" Wipers are controlled by the J400 wiper control unit, which is integrated into the wiper motor assembly.

It has a blockage sensing function that uses current draw to detect objects blocking the wipers in order to protect the motor and linkage assembly. The J400 will attempt to clear a blockage five times, after which it will shut down the wipers for some period of time.

If your wipers don't move after several attempts, remove the rain tray and inspect the linkage assembly for any blockage. Next step would be to check the J400 for stored codes using VAG-COM in 09 Cent. Electronics.

If you need to replace the J400 you have to replace it along with the motor as a unit, and the new J400 will need to be recoded to match the features of your car.

VW/Audi uses the J400 in almost all their cars in a variety of markets with many different features.

Here's a VCDS readout of the J400 sub-system in 09 Cent. Electronics:
Subsystem 1 - Part No: 3C2 955 119 Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
Component: Wischer VW461 012 0503
Coding: 00063445
Shop #: WSC 05311
  "

As the unit has a current sensing circuit, I would check that the motor linkages to the wiper arms are free & not seized in any way.

Thanks for the info

I can move the wipers fairly easily by hand and can see the linkage moving.

Will someone who uses Vag Com diagnostic readers understand and be able to interpret fault codes?

Don't know if this is related but I had a similar issue just last weekend. 

I was washing the car so put the wipers in the maintenance position.  After this I decided to check and fill the washer bottle so popped the bonnet then realised the wipers were still in the up position. Went to drivers side,  turned ignition on and flipped the wiper switch to drop them down. NothING,  went through all positions, even started the engine. Still nothing. 

Then I thought "is it because the bonnet is popped", didn't think so but easy to test, shut bonnet up and tested wipers. Perfect.

What I keep thinking is I only did a couple of miles after car had been serviced in dry weather. Then wipers don’t work.

Maybe just coincidence?

Not a main dealer just local garage. Is there anything he may have “reset” as part of the service which could have caused this?

• 1 month later...
On 2018-04-13 at 00:52, Zundap said:

What I keep thinking is I only did a couple of miles after car had been serviced in dry weather. Then wipers don’t work.

Maybe just coincidence?

Not a main dealer just local garage. Is there anything he may have “reset” as part of the service which could have caused this?

So what had happen?

Well tried a new wiper motor, no fix!

Got a refund so no probs there.

Took it to a auto electrician who said he found a damaged wire behind battery box going through bulkhead.

Said it was “LIN” bus wire.

There was evidence of newly applied insulating tape in the area suggested so can only assume he was being truthful.

So coincidence after all.....perhaps!