Does power steering fluid circulate?

mbp

I replaced the steering fluid using the 'turkey baster' method, repeating the process four times over a few days. The fluid looks a lot cleaner now than it did, but the steering, although not stiff, is no-where near as easy as my neighbour's new Octavia or my wife's four year old Citygo.  I'm wondering if the new fluid has actually reached the pump to make a difference, or is it just sitting in the reservoir? So, that's my question: Does the fluid constantly re-circulate?  

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

it constantly reciculates.

better way to replace it is disconnect the return into an old bottle. Run engine for 4 seconds then switch off. Top up reservoir and repeat until return feed runs clean. Reconnect and then fill to level

yup, you need the green vw spec fluid, and 1 litre is more than enough for a change.

make sure you go lock to lock with the wheel after the change to fully flush out any air before checking final level

On 17/04/2018 at 09:23, mbp said:

the steering, although not stiff, is no-where near as easy as my neighbour's new Octavia or my wife's four year old Citygo.

Both the New Octavia or Citigo have electric power steering so totally different. Some would say devoid of feeling!