1.4/1.5TFSi or 2.0 Tdi Estate???

12 hours ago, mumphie said:

To be fair, as others have said, the 1.5 is probably too new to find (perhaps an ex-demo?) but the 1.4 TSI ACT is a brilliant engine.

Obviously not a vRS, but pulls well enough for most people's needs. Best thing about it is the diesel-like economy with petrol refinement, and still low road tax! In fact, I really do struggle to see why anyone would buy a diesel, unless you're pulling a hefty load on a regular basis.

The 1.4 isn’t ACT.  That said in reality it makes little difference in reality.  I have one of the last 150bhp 1.4 DSGs delivered in January.  Absolutely the best choice, particularly for the mileage you intend to do.  With the 7 gear DSG it’s doing about 2000 rpm at 70 and at that speed on a motorway run you will be in the low 40s MPG.  It really is a ‘no brainer’.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:12, pist0nbr0ke said:

Welcome!

You would be best with the 1.4TSI in those circumstances.

1.5 is only just available so unlikely to be any older than 3 or 4 months.

Diesel not worth it for your mileage and TSI will be quicker, quieter, smoother and probably as economical TBH. No DPF worries on petrol either.

Good luck with your hunt!

Agree with everything PISTONBRAKE said plus no adblue to buy also. Having covered 16,000 miles in 16 months in SUPERB 1.4Tsi can confirm it is a great engine and would highly recommend it. Given the number and type of mileage you are likely to cover you should see average of over 50mpg.

18 hours ago, Scot5 said:

None of the dealers or brokers with their deposit contributions on new cars won't get anywhere near the price of an 18mth old car.  My car was 5mth old when I bought it, just over 1k on the clock, an SE-L with most of the option boxes ticked, in metallic. The list price of car + options was just over £27,000. Broker price was around £23k. Even if you add in those discounts, you'd never get anywhere near the £17750 I paid, and that's for a 1.4tsi.  Diesel, perhaps not best option given your driving, nearly new cars going for much less.

Don't want to get into the new/used argument but I priced up a 1.5SE Estate on CarWow with a list of 21735 and got offered a finance (PCP) price of 15374.   I think its close enough to the price of a 18 month old used one to be worth a look.

The point is that with the current deposit contribution there are serious new discounts out there, that previously I haven't seen on the Octavia.

2 hours ago, juan27 said:

Don't want to get into the new/used argument but I priced up a 1.5SE Estate on CarWow with a list of 21735 and got offered a finance (PCP) price of 15374.   I think its close enough to the price of a 18 month old used one to be worth a look.

The point is that with the current deposit contribution there are serious new discounts out there, that previously I haven't seen on the Octavia.

Pricing has always been a crazy subject and you're right to say no wanting to get in to argument because what suits one person won't suit the next. And you're right to point out that on basic cars it's a tough call to say what's the best value. Problem is, few people buy bog standard cars.

PCP -v- cash?  People need to concentrate on the total cost - i.e. what price they'll end up paying for their car, not the basic PCP figure - it's the oldest trick in the book to make prices look attractive. Just had a look at a 1.5tsi se on drive the deal - £15700. You only need to add metallic and that bumps the price by £500, then add whatever else and before long...   Such things add little or no value to a car so that £500 is not reflected in the used price. Basically it's £500 washed down the toilet but many people who pay their car up monthly don't see the big picture.

Put it another way...   buy the car for £15374, sell it 5 mins later and see what you're offered for it. Margins on used cars can often be eyewatering - the sticker price is often much higher than the dealer will be willing to sell for.

As I said above the only way of finding out what price you can get a car for is to do your homework and shop around. There will always be the odd case but in general terms, there's just no way a used car is going to be anywhere near the price of a new car. (unless of course demand outstrips supply).

Edited by Guest

You've all given me loads to work on, I've got two and a bit months before the A3 goes, even then I can use (abuse?) the wife's Mini for a bit, time to go and have a look around a few dealers just to see what's out there, how they stand up to wear & tear etc, fortunately, work gives me the opportunity to cover a fair bit of the country (though not enough to warrant keeping a company car) so if I see anything that tickles my fancy.

Have a good weekend all! B) B)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Pricing has always been a crazy subject and you're right to say no wanting to get in to argument because what suits one person won't suit the next. And you're right to point out that on basic cars it's a tough call to say what's the best value. Problem is, few people buy bog standard cars.

PCP -v- cash?  People need to concentrate on the total cost - i.e. what price they'll end up paying for their car, not the basic PCP figure - it's the oldest trick in the book to make prices look attractive. Just had a look at a 1.5tsi se on drive the deal - £15700. You only need to add metallic and that bumps the price by £500, then add whatever else and before long...   Such things add little or no value to a car so that £500 is not reflected in the used price. Basically it's £500 washed down the toilet but many people who pay their car up monthly don't see the big picture.

Put it another way...   buy the car for £15374, sell it 5 mins later and see what you're offered for it. Margins on used cars can often be eyewatering - the sticker price is often much higher than the dealer will be willing to sell for.

As I said above the only way of finding out what price you can get a car for is to do your homework and shop around. There will always be the odd case but in general terms, there's just no way a used car is going to be anywhere near the price of a new car. (unless of course demand outstrips supply).

Not pushing the PCP deal in anyway other than for early settlement to pocket the £3000 extra discount currently offered over a cash deal.   Another argument I'd rather not get into.

OP asked what "new" deals were out there, I responded with what seems a genuine opportunity currently IF he decides to buy new.   

I was considering buying second until I discovered sites such as buyanewcaronline.co.uk offering 20% off list (seems to be about 25% now) and there weren't that many second hand Mk IIIs around in early 2015 anyway, which will have changed now of course. As I was happy buying a car with very few extras (and Skoda were throwing a load in for free at the time) and I wanted MIB2, new was a good deal. Parkers had a reasonable price comparison service, which I think is how I found the cheap web deals.

On 20/04/2018 at 11:55, shyVRS245 said:

Agree with everything PISTONBRAKE said plus no adblue to buy also.

I don't think any Octavias need diesel exhaust fluid yet, do they?

If you ignore all the diesel haters the 2.0tdi is a great engine. Good prices second hand due to all the ridiculous tabloid/government induced diesel fear. A 2yr old model with 20,000 miles won't have any dpf issues for years to come (my one isn't affected by the fix/fail issue either). Interestingly my girlfriend's 1.6tdi had the fix and has been fine, I think the latest software is better. I estimate based on my current dpf readings it will not need attention until about 150,000 miles. 10,000 miles a year isn't much, but if you're doing reasonably regular longer runs there won't be an issue with dpf regens. I get a good 60mpg on my jaunts around wales, way better than what a petrol gets. Also, whoever said they're noisy and fuel sloshing is imo talking rubbish. They're not particularly noisy, the biggest noise contribution is tyres, and i've never noticed fuel sloshing noises either.

• Like 1

I share the same thoughts like @amwphotos

Owning the diesel and doing mainly highways I feel very happy with it. DPF was initially an issue, not is not something I think of :)

However .. 1.5 TSI if I have to buy now will be more reasonable. Not because of the anti-diesel media bullsh#ts but my mileage is not enough to justify the extra cost of purchase. And my car is used for family purposes - although I like the heavy stable feeling (and the sounds of bigger engine), I could live with cheaper and newer 1.5 TSI.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 13:04, Cakemonster said:

newbie here,

I'm looking to replace my Audi A3 1.6 TDi (company car) with an Octavia estate (purchased by me) and do around 10k a year on motorway & fast A roads and lugging mountain bikes and camping gear at weekends.

So, in the 'real world' what are the pro's & con's of the two engines, fuel economy etc? I'm looking at something up to 18 months old 10-15k miles

Cheers :biggrin:

Update:

Well, that was an expensive morning....

Just ordered a Quartz Grey 1.5 SE L with a couple of extra's on PCP through a Carwow quote

It's all you guys fault!!! :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cakemonster said:

Update:

Well, that was an expensive morning....

Just ordered a Quartz Grey 1.5 SE L with a couple of extra's on PCP through a Carwow quote

It's all you guys fault!!! :biggrin:

Great choice, it’s a nice car to own and use every day   :^]