Rear shock buffer torn

Have just noticed one of the rear shock buffers (not sure if that's the right term) is completely torn in 2, half of it is connected to the plastic 'sheath'? Whilst the other half remains at the top of the shock... 

Is this something that needs rectifying immediately? 

It looks pretty bad (will take pictures when the light is better). But not entirely sure of the function of the buffer beyond stopping the shock slamming into the wheel arch... 

Any insight on this? 

Cheers in advance, 

Josh 

Think it's called a bump stop and if you search on here I believe it's quite common for them to disintegrate and need changing (Never bothered myself though and had no negative effects)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Awkward_Josh said:

Have just noticed one of the rear shock buffers (not sure if that's the right term) is completely torn in 2, half of it is connected to the plastic 'sheath'? Whilst the other half remains at the top of the shock... 

Is this something that needs rectifying immediately? 

It looks pretty bad (will take pictures when the light is better). But not entirely sure of the function of the buffer beyond stopping the shock slamming into the wheel arch... 

Any insight on this? 

Cheers in advance, 

Josh 

54 minutes ago, Anddenton said:

Think it's called a bump stop and if you search on here I believe it's quite common for them to disintegrate and need changing (Never bothered myself though and had no negative effects)

Its a very common problem effecting the MK2 octavia and MK5 and MK6 golf, and yep it's called a "rubber bump stop". It does not effect the way the shock absorber works or the handling of the car, just looks unsightly.

The only way to rectify it is to replace the rear shocks absorber's but it will happen again, i'd leave it unless they  start leaking (my old car was like it for the two years/15,000 i had it) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

IThe only way to rectify 

Mended mine using clear silicone.

Strap / tape it together whilst the silicone goes off, hey presto. one very reasonable looking bump stop / shock cover.

Or you can just replace the rubber piece if you want to. Loads on ebay circa £10/15 iirc. just need to check if you need a round one or an oval one.

Mine is 55 plate and oval.

Edited by Tilt

Hi, I did this repair to my MK2 Octavia recenly.

I would recommend changing it as its dead cheap and stops muck and dirt getting into the seals of the damper.

You do not need a new shock, you can buy the bump stops seperately. 

P/N 3C0511359B or Febi 23504 off eBay (same part but cheaper). Mk2 Octavia is the round type bump stop, not oval.

Jack rear up, wheels off.

2 bolts in top bracket behind the arch liner

1 lower bolt to take whole damper out (this bolt is very tight and its a bugger to get at with a breaker bar, sometimes taking the spring out makes it easier)

16mm deep offset spanner and some grips to take the top mount off the strut off

Slide old knackered bump stop off, new one on (easier with soapy water)

Reverse of above for fitment!

Couple hours in total, just remember to put blanking cap on top of strut back on (I forgot and had to pull to bits again!)

Hope this helps.

Stu.

Edited by Stu vRS
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu vRS said:

Hi, I did this repair to my MK2 Octavia recenly.

You do not need a new shock, you can buy the bump stops seperately. 

P/N 3C0511359B or Febi 23504 off eBay (same part but cheaper). 

Jack rear up, wheels off.

4 bolts in top bracket behind the arch liner

1 lower bolt to take whole damper out (this bolt is very tight and its a bugger to get at with a breaker bar, sometimes taking the spring out makes it easier)

16mm deep offset spanner and some grips to take the top mount off the strut off

Slide old knackered bump stop off, new one on (easier with soapy water)

Reverse of above for fitment!

Couple hours in total, just remember to put blanking cap on top of strut back on (I forgot and had to pull to bits again!)

Hope this helps.

Stu.

Cheers for that stu, have seen them quite cheap out and about. 

Seems like a pretty simple replacement so when I've got a few hours this weekend I'll give it a go. 

Hopefully the sun stays out for it haha, 

Cheers again for the help

8 minutes ago, Awkward_Josh said:

Cheers for that stu, have seen them quite cheap out and about. 

Seems like a pretty simple replacement so when I've got a few hours this weekend I'll give it a go. 

Hopefully the sun stays out for it haha, 

Cheers again for the help

No problem. From skoda workshop manual below:

octavia-mk2-482.png

Number 5 are your 2 top bolts, these are reletaively tight and can get to them behind the arch liner

Number 4 is the bloody tight lower strut bolt, have fun with this one. Maybe a bit of penetrating oil first.

Number 6 is the plastic cover that slides onto the bump stop and stops all the dirt getting in

16mm nut is underneath that dome plastic cover on top of strut but will spin and you need something to grip the flats on the strut. You WILL need a deep 16mm offset ring spanner to get at this and stilll be able to get on the flats, a socket wont do it.

Anything else you need to know let me know

EDIT: Before / after picture haha:

WHzfuef.jpg

Edited by Stu vRS

On 4/20/2018 at 16:22, Stu vRS said:

Mk2 Octavia is the round type bump stop, not oval.

It has been argued / discussed on another thread, stu, and it depends on the vehicle's age (iirc or spec)...................fairly sure it's age and older MK2's are oval.

As STATED' mine is a 55 plate and OVAL.

Edited by Tilt

just got a replacement 1.9tdi estate an 08 replacing my 05 . 05 has now done 278k miles and not needed a bump stop but the 08 needs near side replacing so it will be first job done on newly aquired car - spare parts place couldnt give me correct part off registration saying it may be oval it may be round 

On 19/04/2018 at 18:55, cheshire_cat said:

they actually degrade over time    so a patch up is just that  urgency depends upon how often you carry a heavy load

I will actually be using the car laden regularly (for work)... should this be more of a priority to get changed then?