Travel Mode

Is there any necessity to adjust the Travel Mode to R-hand traffic when driving on the continent or L-hand in the UK? Up till now I haven't touched this setting on the assumption that the Bi-Xenon headlights automatically adjust once the car recognises where it is via the GPS in the Columbus. But I see the manual implies I should be making this adjustment.

And a further related question - if you opt for the opposite side of the road to that which the car is intended for (ie. R-hand traffic in a UK car with the steering wheel on the right) does this impact in any way on the automatic functionality of the lights?

I'd say just carry on with what you've been doing. The manual isn't always correct and I suspect it's an uncorrected reference, probably copy and pasted, from the Superb II manual where the Bi-Xenons did need to be switched manually. Another example I found is that according to the manual AFS does not work when lights are switched and Dynamic/Smart Light Assist (shuttered beam adjusting), if fitted, behaves as standard Light Assist (dipping rather than shuttering). In practice I've found both AFS and Smart Light Assist still seem to work even after the lights have switched.

The only thing that needs adjusting manually is the clock ??? and, optionally, measurement units.

Mine adjusted the lights from driving on the left to driving on the right automatically last year when I travelled to and from France. This year it didn't. The only thing I've changed is to update the maps on the Columbus system.

Yeah mine didn't but it could have been due to impatience on my behalf when coming off the train (tunnel crossing).  I'm sure I've heard some people say that you need to stop and turn the ignition off and then back on to pick it up?

I found the ability to switch the units to km and then put current speed on the maxidot very handy.

My Bi-Xenons didn't change when landing in France, had to manually change. As did the clock. There is an option in the menu for GPS setting but it doesn't make a difference on my '16 plate car. I stopped at the fuel station just off the tunnel at very early o'clock when going skiing last year, would have been easy to see lights change.

AFS worked as it would in the UK.

My lights switched when I got off the train in Calais last Christmas and I had the latest map version so that can be ruled out.

I switch my lights from Auto to Off when I board the train (there is a sign asking that you turn headlights off as you enter the train). I turn it back to Auto after I exit the train and the lights switch themselves to driving on the right.

Others have said it requires an ignition off/on cycle but what may be relevant is that I've given the car a chance to reorient itself with GPS before the dipped beam lights come back on.

I came on the ferry from Dunkirk to Werl in Germany (just east of Dortmund) today and every time I restart after landing in France, I get the message that the lights are adjusted for right-hand driving, but I haven't made any adjustments and I updated my maps recently.

A bit OT, but I got 61mpg for the journey, which isn't bad for such a big car.  Tomorrow it's on to Poland!