Anybody had the same noise?

Right you budding mechanics, I 've been driving for 30+ years and am having trouble sussing out a noise without jacking the car up, so please let me know if any Octy III owners have had a similar noise experienced this. Faintish 'grinding, brake pad rubbing' type noise, from left probable front on any type of left lock and only whilst moving.  Right lock no noise. Could it be a a brake pad sticking or the disc stone guard touching the disc? The car's done  28000 miles, doesn't sound like a bearing rumble, i.e. No noise getting louder with speed in a straight line ,tyres have got lots of tread and I haven't hit a pothole.  Steering/brake fluid seems fine. I  only ask as I'm doing a couple of 400-500 mile  trips in the next week or so. My instinct is to let it develop...probably not the right answer to SWMBO if we land up on the hard shoulder.  :crying:

56 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Right you budding mechanics, I 've been driving for 30+ years and am having trouble sussing out a noise without jacking the car up, so please let me know if any Octy III owners have had a similar noise experienced this. Faintish 'grinding, brake pad rubbing' type noise, from left probable front on any type of left lock and only whilst moving.  Right lock no noise. Could it be a a brake pad sticking or the disc stone guard touching the disc? The car's done  28000 miles, doesn't sound like a bearing rumble, i.e. No noise getting louder with speed in a straight line ,tyres have got lots of tread and I haven't hit a pothole.  Steering/brake fluid seems fine. I  only ask as I'm doing a couple of 400-500 mile  trips in the next week or so. My instinct is to let it develop...probably not the right answer to SWMBO if we land up on the hard shoulder.  :crying:

My guess would be wheel bearing on the way out because some Mk3 owners have reported them failing at as little as 20,000 miles. But i'm no mechanic just do the basic weekly/monthly checks between services!:dry:

My Mk3 Vrs the a similar noise that is very audible inside the car from the passenger side but cannot be heard externally with the passenger window down, mine goes when the brake is pressed so I have put mine down to the pads / disc corrosion ( yet to get time to take the wheel off and check properly), is the noise audible outside the car while driving? A bearing rumble will be and will also get louder with speed.

56 minutes ago, cassh said:

My Mk3 Vrs the a similar noise that is very audible inside the car from the passenger side but cannot be heard externally with the passenger window down, mine goes when the brake is pressed so I have put mine down to the pads / disc corrosion ( yet to get time to take the wheel off and check properly), is the noise audible outside the car while driving? A bearing rumble will be and will also get louder with speed.

Exactly, to hear it I had to wind the left hand side windows back up. It doesn't increase with speed or rumble like a bearing going down. 

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

My guess would be wheel bearing on the way out because some Mk3 owners have reported them failing at as little as 20,000 miles. But i'm no mechanic just do the basic weekly/monthly checks between services!:dry:

Hopefully it isn't but I suppose it could be the very start before it starts to rumble. I'll soon find out. Never had a car wheel bearing fail at such low mileage/age. 

I have had a noise from when I got the car with 13k miles to now at 25k when turning the steering wheel left a faint sound inside the car similar to the old power steering pump noise you get on full lock. These use electric steering so not that it's not got any worse and nothing seems worn or loose had mot also had winter wheels on and still there. 

• Like 1

I've driven a Leon with very similar symptoms. Turned out to be a broken n/s/r spring. Only heard the noise under specific circs and particular bends. Garage had to raise the car on a ramp to diagnose it.

The car did feel a bit vague when cornering at speed mind you, but initially I put that down to age/mileage and my unfamiliarity with the car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/04/2018 at 14:07, Redboy said:

Check to see if there is a stone or something stuck in the guard...

32 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Is your Vrs a 230 Grant ?  I can't remember 

No Auric it's a mapped 220. No diff to worry about. Didn't your car have a hard to trace noise like this? Since posting I have seen several posts about wheel bearing noise and replacement at low mileage and this became apparent at > 70 Mph on a recent trip. Lincolnshire roads are so rough that I only managed to hear it and realise it wasn't normal on a smooth dual carriageway. A  HUNTER 4 wheel align check showed it is is already spot on and wheel swapping hasn't solved it. Next step is to see the local garage on Tues and if they'll fit them, buy some bearings. Hopefully the drone will go. 

2 hours ago, CHAZBAX said:

Check to see if there is a stone or something stuck in the guard...

Thanks, I have had thst before on 2 other cars and each time it sounded like the wheel was being torn off. The original noise I noticed was epreally faint in comparison. 

3 hours ago, Redboy said:

No Auric it's a mapped 220. No diff to worry about. Didn't your car have a hard to trace noise like this? Since posting I have seen several posts about wheel bearing noise and replacement at low mileage and this became apparent at > 70 Mph on a recent trip. Lincolnshire roads are so rough that I only managed to hear it and realise it wasn't normal on a smooth dual carriageway. A  HUNTER 4 wheel align check showed it is is already spot on and wheel swapping hasn't solved it. Next step is to see the local garage on Tues and if they'll fit them, buy some bearings. Hopefully the drone will go. 

The strange noise on my 230 was the E-diff. By the time they stopped throwing parts at it and changed the diff I think the bill was around £12K

10 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The strange noise on my 230 was the E-diff. By the time they stopped throwing parts at it and changed the diff I think the bill was around £12K

Wow. I remembered your thread but not the cost.