CLONKING NOISE....HELP NEEDED

DILLIGAFF

Hi guys. Can I call upon the combined massive experience of the group?

My little Citigo has given me 5 years carefree motoring and is just approaching 20,000 miles. Recently sailed through another MOT with no advisories yet I have a strange and somewhat annoying problem.

I have recently noticed a persistent clonking noise from the rear offside. Sounding like a conker in a tupperware box, if that makes sense. I have had all the suspension checked out and pulled everything from the boot but still it persists.

The only clue I can offer is that I noticed it more just after filling up.

Could it be the fuel level sender in the tank???

Any one had a similar experience?

Your suggestions greatly appreceiated.

I've got what sounds like the same problem except it's nearside rear. Speed bumps seem to cause the most noise but just a RH turn on a imperfect road surface starts the clatter. I though it was possibly a rear seatbelt touching the body or the tool kit but I've eliminated those possibilities. I agree it sounds like something loose at the back axle, low down.

I took the wheels of checked the trailing arms and shocks for anything loose - nada, so back to square one.

Pete

34 minutes ago, Chris GB said:

Most likely a knocking damper.

Yes, reading up on it that seems to the most likely cause. Fortunately they're cheap and very easy to replace.

My Citigo Sport has option code 1JC sports suspension but the bilstein units listed on buycarparts.co.uk says they're the same for both sport and non-sport versions, anyone know if that's true?

Pete

I had squeaky rear suspension another day. Like bushings were too dry. It made clonking sound inside the car. Today we had some rain and those sounds were gone. :)

Edited by Emil

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.  As I had a spare half hour yesterday I took it to my local garage. Turns out it seems to be the plastic sleeve around the shock absorbers. No easy fix without either removing the sleeve or a full replacement. He squirted some oil up the sleeve but it had no effect and also there is now the possibility of it being snagged on the MOT as it looks like a leak.

That could be a better outcome than knocking shock absorbers. See the video below, it's really easy to replace that top mount, he does it in near real time and most of time is faffing around with the plastic trim inside the boot. At 5:58 he has the mount in his hand:

@DILLIGAFF Is that the mount you're referring to?

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

With the nice weather and an early finish at work I thought I'd investigate the low speed clunking noise on my 2014 Citigo Sport. Took everything out the boot, folded the seats flat and went for a short drive (TBH reversing out the drive is enough) still there.

Jacked up the near side rear and had a good look around the shocks and wheel hub. Nothing obviously loose, I was rocking it fairly aggresively but could reproduce the noise on the road.

I did wonder if the trailing arm bearing is maybe the source. Does this need any regular lubrication and if so where and with what oil/grease?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a similar issue, clonking on the rear passenger side nearly every time the car goes over a slight bump. Even turning left into my driveway produces a creaking clonking sound. Just now contemplating putting into the local Skoda dealership, but given they just dismissed my clicking clutch issue, I'm cautious about putting it in for this issue...

Sounds to me like it is the sleeve/bump stop. Replacing the sleeve and bump stop should fix it but obviously get it diagnosed properly by a workshop. They are a bit tricky to replace, not like a conventional rear bump stop