Cheapest/simplest improvement to audio?

Hi.

Just bought a 2014 Octavia 1.4 TSI. Seems pretty good in all areas but the sound system is pretty lame even compared to my last car.

I'm not an audiophile but I wouldn't mind upgrading it. I was wondering what people thought might be a cheap and simple way to get a worthwhile improvement? E.g. an underseat sub or if a new head unit was needed (or even possible)

Thanks

In previous car I have always found a change of speakers with some tweeters often makes the biggest difference in sound over a new head unit etc. Most of the main manufacturers will do direct replacement speakers that will fit into the OEM places so an easy swap.

• Like 1

Which headunit do you have (Bolero, Amudsen or Columbus)?

I have a 2014 Columbus & the sounds quality was acceptable for me but noticably worse at higher volumes.

However, after some problems with playing from the SD-card the dealer updated the firmware to the latest level which improved the way the headunit clips the audio output.

Afterwards there was a very clear improvement at higher volumes where the bass was more defined & sound general more clear (without the phasing feeling I had before at volume when listening to some tracks).

My home audio system is very good & didnt cost more than €500 so I would struggle to justify paying this much or above to fit the Canton or other aftermarket upgrades.

The firmware update was a welcome compromise for me.

• Like 1

If you have a Bolero or Amundsen MIB1 without Canton the audio quality is rubbish. My previous Volvo with it's Dynaudio High Performance Audio and my Audi and Mercedes with their ancient BOSE systems blew the Octy out of the water. The MIB2 is better, much better. I've installed a MIB2 and left the speakers and sound deadening stock and the difference is marked. A nice sub in the boot would be nice, but not something I am looking into as it now acceptable for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noz said:

Thanks for the info

I'm not even sure which one I have, need to look it up. It's a 2014 SE so I think it's the Bolero (there's no satnav)but which MIB I don't know.

It will be MIB1. MIB2 was mid 2015 and coincided with MY16 build I believe.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

So would replacing the speakers make any difference....

Or is it the output of the unit that is no good ?

I have a mib1 i think in my vrs