Locknuts

Karoqing

There's been a spate of thefts in my area recently - lots of vans broken into and fuel doors broken in attempts to steal fuel. 

It's made me wonder if lock nuts would be a good idea - my Edition didn't come with them. 

Would the dealer fit decent ones? Or how do I work out which aftermarket ones would work? 

Edit: also, thoughts on if they're worthwhile? 

Edited by Karoqing
Added

I cannot remember when I last heard of a car being left on bricks and the wheels being pinched.

My Yeti came with lock-nuts and after a very worrying time I needed the assistance of a friendly garage and various bits of big heavy metal. They eventually  managed to remove the offending two nuts with a lot of sweating and swearing. Needless to say I did not refit them and I would not take a new car of the forecourt with a set fitted.

Colin

1 hour ago, Karoqing said:

There's been a spate of thefts in my area recently - lots of vans broken into and fuel doors broken in attempts to steal fuel. 

It's made me wonder if lock nuts would be a good idea - my Edition didn't come with them. 

Would the dealer fit decent ones? Or how do I work out which aftermarket ones would work? 

Edit: also, thoughts on if they're worthwhile? 

Are you sure, I'm sure I saw a locking wheel nut socket in my boot, I can't look now the back of my car is against a fence so I can't open my boot and look.

If there is not a bigger cover on one of the 5 bolts holding on your wheels and a locking one under it then ask at the Dealership where they have gone and get them to put them on.

As to stopping someone who is a wheel thief steeling your wheels, they are not going to do that.

They are equipped and can remove wheel security nuts / studs.

But to stop the casual ned / toerag they might.

1 hour ago, eribaMotters said:

I cannot remember when I last heard of a car being left on bricks and the wheels being pinched.

My Yeti came with lock-nuts and after a very worrying time I needed the assistance of a friendly garage and various bits of big heavy metal. They eventually  managed to remove the offending two nuts with a lot of sweating and swearing. Needless to say I did not refit them and I would not take a new car of the forecourt with a set fitted.

Colin

So you lost your locking wheel nut tool and that makes them a bad idea?

• Sad 1

To clarify, I swap winter and summer wheels. I use a torque wrench and refit correctly and had experienced no problems. The time came for me to swap over after the Skoda garage had refitted wheels following a service/inspection. From memory two locking bolts were difficult and two I could not move. Fortunately I knew a friendly very local garage owner and MOT inspector who I had taught some years earlier. He took 20 minutes to remove the two offending bolts and I replaced them with some from EuroCarparts.

I called into the Skoda garage and asked them to process a warranty claim but wished the replacements to be normal bolts with the suitable larger plastic caps. They said this was not possible as they had to be a like for like. They did comment that if I had driven the 6 miles to them they would have removed the bolts for me [I wonder if I would have been required to book it in two weeks in advance]. I found the situation unacceptable. The bolts had been fitted to the car by them, they could not be removed without excessive force and were not fit for purpose. I was fortunate that I was swapping wheels over and had not got a puncture.

Colin

• Thanks 1

If a wheel thief wants your wheels, they’ll have them and no locking wheel nuts will stop them.

My locking wheel nut key had become worn and it was cheaper to replace them than buy a new socket. The locking wheel nuts were removed within 5 mins. That’s all four in five minutes without the socket but using a tool that can be purchased legally. It took  slightly longer for the first wheel due setting the tool up but the rest were very quick and the guy didn’t even break a sweat and not a mark on my wheels. The locking wheel nuts were the McGard style as in Offski picture which the guy said was one of the better locking wheel nuts, having watched him remove them with such ease I laughed. 

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

If a wheel thief wants your wheels, they’ll have them and no locking wheel nuts will stop them.

A door lock won't stop a burglar from entering your house but I bet you don't leave your front door unlocked at night when you are sleeping

If somebody wants my wheels they can spend the extra 5 minutes taking them off, that will show them :D

Edited by SuperbTWM

7 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

A door lock won't stop a burglar from entering your house but I bet you don't leave your front door unlocked at night when you are sleeping

If somebody wants my wheels they can spend the extra 5 minutes taking them off, that will show them :D

Don't get me wrong, I’ve got new locking wheel nuts fitted. I was surprised with the speed and ease he managed to remove the locking wheel nuts. 

My house was broken into prior to Christmas, were they snapped the Euro locks in an attempt to steal the cars, luckily the sash jams prevented them aging access. All locks have since been upgraded along with high security door handles and CCTV.

hopefully these are all deterrents for them to find an easier target but I’m realistic and know if they want it enough then they’ll take it. 

Full sets of removal tools for a branded manufacturer sell on the " bay"  for around £70. For that, you could go round stealing just the locks, selling them on again! (No point, I know but do-able)!  For muh, much less, a tool that will extract but ruin he locks is available so freely, it beggars belief!