Bosch....New Boots Fitted (PS4) 225x40x18

Well even thou I wasn’t in desperate need of tyres as I had 5mm left all round on my Nokian Weatherproof tyres, had them on for 3 years, which was in good condition, only signs of little wear towards the sidewalls so a friend of mine offered to take them off of me for £20 a tyre (£80) the lot. (Got me thinking)

So with that in mind I know blackcircles are doing deals at the moment on 2 tyre brands I’ve been keeping my eye on (Michelin PS4) & (Goodyear Eagle F1 A3) The Michelin PS4 at blackcircles for 4 tyres fitted using code 4mich40 which gets you £40 off the total price but the nearest date for fitting for me was the 1st & I didn’t want to wait until then (just in case my friend changed his mind) :giggle: but luckily he definitely wanted them, I know he will burn them out B) around the neighbourhood :D

So then I contacted a local garage from me who said I can get you 4 Michelin PS4 today supplied, fitted, new valves & fully balanced for £420.00 all in, minus £80.00 for my old tyres selling to my mate, makes a total of £340.00.

Anyways got them fitted & they feel great, so far I’ve noticed less impact feeling when going over speed bumps with these PS4 & they hold/grip the road amazingly but I will update more in-depth for people that are interested in these tyres as I want to bed/wear them in gradually, taking it easy for the first 50 miles etc...

Also checked the DOT 0818 so absolutely brand new tyres & the HC on the tyre I believe shows they are made in Spain. 

28DC291D-65D1-4304-8E54-F2FDAB3450B7.png

91E4473A-5A2E-436B-BCA4-D7F819863E8E.png

43CAD174-1AFC-43D6-ACBD-44E464324FBB.jpeg

61377B65-7290-4EC1-BCD6-50D814BA0810.jpeg

• Like 3

Good to hear, they are top of my list for replacement tyres soon. I know it's early days but how does road and tyre noise seem with the PS4?

Blackcircles have just bumped them £3 a corner too :sadsmile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ahenners said:

Good to hear, they are top of my list for replacement tyres soon. I know it's early days but how does road and tyre noise seem with the PS4?

Blackcircles have just bumped them £3 a corner too :sadsmile:

Driving home from the garage they seemed no noisy than my previous Nokian Weatherproof tyres, the Michelin's are rated 71-db, the Nokian's are rated 69-db & to be honest I can't hear the 2-db difference ;) It was raining but I had my radio turned off so I could purposely hear for road noise, maybe time will tell.

Maybe Blackcircles must of sold a few of these so then decided to increase the price? :wondering: 

5 hours ago, tunedude said:

They get good reviews. When I'm back on the road, I want change my potenzas. Be interested to see how you find the wet grip on these.

It was the reviews from tyre review (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4_2.htm) & a few youtube videos that made my mind up to go for the Michelin PS4 tyres, even thou it was raining I did notice the improvement in grip, again both tyres (Michelin, Nokian) are rated "A" for wet grip, I didn't go mad or anything because they have just been fitted but the grip when driving straight or turning corners is noticeable, which is something I did feel straightaway so I can't wait to actually feel these once I've bedded them in a little more to see how they really perform.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BATVANVRS said:

Driving home from the garage they seemed no noisy than my previous Nokian Weatherproof tyres, the Michelin's are rated 71-db, the Nokian's are rated 69-db & to be honest I can't hear the 2-db difference ;) It was raining but I had my radio turned off so I could purposely hear for road noise, maybe time will tell.

Maybe Blackcircles must of sold a few of these so then decided to increase the price? :wondering: 

Thanks, that sounds promising then! :) I think the DB ratings are external and from a distance rather than internal, so I don't think it can be taken as gospel that a lower rated tyre would be quieter in cabin than a higher rated one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Thanks, that sounds promising then! :) I think the DB ratings are external and from a distance rather than internal, so I don't think it can be taken as gospel that a lower rated tyre would be quieter in cabin than a higher rated one.

Yeah I would agree with you there mate purely because this is the first thing I went to test when driving back home & really didn't notice any differences in noise, the Skoda cabin ain't the best in-terms of noise & I would think some road surfaces don't help but the few back streets I drove on to reach home (roads I know) are definitely not the best, the Michelin's didn't seem any better or any worse than my previous Nokian's for noise. I would think the cabin insulation is dependant on various car manufacture, which probably aid with the noise etc.

Edited by BATVANVRS
Added more info

I've read a few reviews on these tyres now and I'd say in the vast majority of them mention a positive difference in wet grip.

I know a lot of tyre tests which I've seen in recent times have predominantly pointed towards the conti premium contact 5 and 6's.

• Like 1

I am still hating myself for cheaping out and ordering Assy 3’s when everyone is out here raving about tbe PS4! I know they are good tyres because I already have them but I can’t justify what is now a £100 per set difference between them. That’s £100 towards having my nasty wheels refurbished. Grrrrr.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I am still hating myself for cheaping out and ordering Assy 3’s when everyone is out here raving about tbe PS4! I know they are good tyres because I already have them but I can’t justify what is now a £100 per set difference between them. That’s £100 towards having my nasty wheels refurbished. Grrrrr.

You're not alone... I was almost certain I'd get the PS4 but I'm currently sat with those F1 AS3 in my basket on tyresonthedrive. 

Just can't decide whether to get 2 or 4. Have Conti SC5 all round with the rears still on 5mm but the OCD in me likes matching tyres all round! :)

• Like 1

Tell me about it, I have some cheapo tyres on the back that were new when I bought the car and are doing well for wear with just under 5.5mm tread but I can’t get over changing the front tyres and not the rear ones so that they all match and as there is a deal on with Goodyear tyres right now it makes sense to get all 4. The Citigo has matching Bridgestones, the Benz has matching Uniroyal RS3’s so it’s only right that the Octy should get matching Goodyears. You’re right, you’ve talked me into it, I should order 4 :)

• Like 1

I've also heard a lot of love for the PS4s recently, both on here and in reviews (EVO covered it previously?), but likewise - the +£££ difference is difficult to justify.

And since I have the 235x35 R19 Assy 3s on the rear, and currently the (comparatively) dinky original Pirelli 225's on the front - with 'non-standard' BHP - I think my OCD would ensure continual eye twitching if I didn't get A3s all round.

Are we all still of the opinion that BlackCircles does the best deals continually? I would otherwise use my local garages, but they tend to think that the 235x35 sizing is a 'Porsche' tyre, and adapt the price somewhat...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

I've also heard a lot of love for the PS4s recently, both on here and in reviews (EVO covered it previously?), but likewise - the +£££ difference is difficult to justify.

And since I have the 235x35 R19 Assy 3s on the rear, and currently the (comparatively) dinky original Pirelli 225's on the front - with 'non-standard' BHP - I think my OCD would ensure continual eye twitching if I didn't get A3s all round.

Are we all still of the opinion that BlackCircles does the best deals continually? I would otherwise use my local garages, but they tend to think that the 235x35 sizing is a 'Porsche' tyre, and adapt the price somewhat...

Generally I tend to find Blackcircles the cheapest for fitted - mail order usually works out about £15 cheaper a corner but have to try and find a garage that will fit for less, and even then I'm saving pennies at best.

However, Tyresonthedrive have a promotion with up to £80 Amazon gift card if you buy 4. 2 tyres at 19" is £40 and 4 is £80. They are already £11 cheaper per corner than Blackcircles (BC have a 10% code today that will get you even or just under) but you'd still miss out of the Amazon Gift card and with Blackcircles you pay extra if you want mobile fitting at home/work.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ahenners said:

However, Tyresonthedrive have a promotion with up to £80 Amazon gift card if you buy 4. 2 tyres at 19" is £40 and 4 is £80...

That's awesome, thanks for the overview and heads-up.

Offer w/ Amazon gift card looks valid until 31st May 2018 too, so that should allow a bit of saving up and logistics to get them fitted. Cheers!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

unfortunately the price difference on the 19s is huge, so had to go for the next best option.

If I had 19" alloys I would of also more n likely favour the Eagle F1's ASY3 due to the price difference, :o between Eagle F1 & Michelin is near enough £100.00 differences of saving, man 19's are pricey.

3 hours ago, Ads230 said:

Definitely agree regards differences in price, really expensive for 19" tyres, keep shopping around, Costco, blackcircles, camskill etc...discount codes! In a way I would love 19" alloys but now seeing the prices of tyres for them I'm kinda glad I don't have 19's :) 

• Like 1

To put it in a more prospective term, If I have 18" rims then I would choose the Michelin PS4 tyres, don't seem much of a big price gap between the Michelin & Eagle F1's tyres to warrant saving £20.00-£40.00 plus using codes 4mich40 or flash10 still create a saving to be had B)

Now on the other hand, 19" tyres are in a completely different price range from 18" & from 19" tyre to 19" tyre, so definitely here the savings has to be a major factor because of the prices.

• Like 2

It is indeed ironic how smaller gaps in the wheel arches directly correlate to smaller margins of affordability :blush: - then again, I knew that walking into buying one of these... it just seems like I forget every time!

But it's good to know that A3s remain a good choice when it comes to running rubber.

Thanks for the advice, all! I will do some surfage of the interwebs later this week.

• Like 1

I’ve just had PS4’s fitted all round and will sell the 2 rear Falkens. They seem to be a bit wider due to their rim protection. Not tried them hard, but they feel different to the Falken’s. More grippy I would see, but not necessarily sharper. Initially I would say they are softer and more comfortable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

at the time i bought my F1s the prices were £110 to £170 , i couldnt justify £240 extra for minimal performance gain. I wanted a quiet tyre anyway. I know how good Michelins are wear-wise as my last set lasted nearly 10 years on my golf. 

Yeah but your golf doesn't get out much these days does it?!  :rofl:

image.png.7630b577e1c967999d5f573713637c38.png

Hhhmmm.. came up nicely with a bit of detailing.

This one looks really fab!

I had a lid-less mk1 GTI for a while - like a go-cart so loads of fun.

Edited by Hermit
  • Like 1

Had a nice run today (warm dry weather) with the Michelin PS4 the grip in the dry is phenomenal, straight lines feel planted on the road & turning corners is were these are really grippy, I had a few moments were I really wanted to push them but thought I need to chill & wear these in gradually, definitely a comfortable ride as dcstuurman mentioned above & they do seem to have decent rim protection especially on the 225x40x18's, definitely no noisy than any other tyre, my previous Nokian tyres are 69-db with the Mitchelin's being 71-db & I can't hear any difference, the db seems exactly the same, no different & I had the drivers window fully down, stereo off but I can say from the off that I've noticed/feel these tyres are far better than when I even first fitted the Nokian's & I liked them.

I will update with a tad more info once I've worn them in the way I want too & see if any of the characteristics change etc...B)

• Like 1