Coming to the end of my lease...

So my 36 month lease term comes to end at the end of June... sad times :( However, I need some advice in terms of getting the car fit and ready for collection, so I don't get hammered with additional costs. I need the following sorted:

- Car was keyed a few months back, passenger door, rear passenger door and rear quarter panel

- Bootlid/rear bumper has some deep scratches/chips from transporting some furniture one day

- Alloy wheels have some kerbing 

- Windscreen has a stone chip in the bottom corner (out of field of vision)

And yes, I know it sounds like I don't take care of the car, but cosmetics aside, I do try! I've had a quote for the keying mess, that was around £600/700. So i'm wondering if I can get all the above done through insurance? I have Protected NCB (which probably doesn't mean much theses days).

It's been a real workhorse for me, i've covered nearly 65k miles in 36 months, I am gonna miss the old girl....

Hmmmm id not want to claim on my insurance for that. Think of the increased premiums for years to come. Then god forbid you have an at fault claim within couple years and bye bye no claims discount. 

You can claim it all on the insurance, I did for mine, except for the kerbed alloys, not sure about those because I didn't need to claim for them luckily. I had Protected NCB and it hasn't affected my renewal premium, I pay the same as the new car as I did for the old one.

Is the lease through VWFS? They seem to be very reasonable with the damage and often it's cheaper to pay the fine than sorting it yourself (which might not be to their standards anyway).

Not claim.

By the time you take off excess I think you may well lose more in increased premiums let alone the problem Stuski says about the impact of any future claims.

When they keyed your car it was if they reached in and took notes out of your wallet. Its gone now - but it is just money, more will come.

Thanks guys, some great responses here. I'm still in 2 minds whether to fork out the best part of £1k to fix everything or go insurance route. It is with VWFS, and can't help but worry about getting screwed over financially after the event... decisions decisions!

Must admit, I did think i'd get the opportunity to buy the car after the lease, but that's not been offered to me. Shame though, as I would have been very interested in doing so.

14 minutes ago, mcscoobs said:

Thanks guys, some great responses here. I'm still in 2 minds whether to fork out the best part of £1k to fix everything or go insurance route. It is with VWFS, and can't help but worry about getting screwed over financially after the event... decisions decisions!

Must admit, I did think i'd get the opportunity to buy the car after the lease, but that's not been offered to me. Shame though, as I would have been very interested in doing so.

VWFS have a list of charges with different ranges, you'll get an idea of what the maximum penalty you may face is.

If you want to buy the car then you'll need to speak to VWFS and request a quote, they don't offer it to you. I decided not to buy my VW Passat from them and I'm waiting for my VRS 245 to arrive any week now.

Also you are just down the road, I am in Rayleigh :)

Hi Mada, literally down the road!

How can I find out their list of charges? Might be worth finding out what I'd be facing then weighing up my options...

Things may have changed, but there was an old post kicking about showing a charging matrix for damage. I've found one on a Golf R owners forum from 2016 - https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13765-damage-charges-matrix/

Someone on here may have a newer matrix they can post up?

Back then it was £110 per body panel needing paint, £36 per alloy wheel and £65 for the windscreen. At 3 years/65000 miles I'd expect some kerbing on the wheels and a few scuffs on the bumper. This is inline with the fair wear guidelines too - http://issuu.com/bfwsn67/docs/fwt_volkswagen_financial_services_2?e=2001091%2F12361092

I'd be tempted to risk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcscoobs said:

Hi Mada, literally down the road!

How can I find out their list of charges? Might be worth finding out what I'd be facing then weighing up my options...

I'm pretty sure I either got sent a list or saw it on a forum somewhere.

7 minutes ago, dg360 said:

Is it possible to have the car inspected by VWFS early and get an idea of the charges?

The process I believe is to have the car inspected and then 1-2 weeks later it gets collected and you don't see it again. Whether you get a chance to put things right in between I'm not sure.

Perhaps call VWFS. I have always found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm glad my Skoda is leased through them too!

• Like 1

Thanks again. Also, I got the Skoda Driverline card, which says for glass repairs, it can be used. Assume there's still a fee associated with repairing a windscreen crack?

2 hours ago, Mada said:

Is the lease through VWFS? They seem to be very reasonable with the damage and often it's cheaper to pay the fine than sorting it yourself (which might not be to their standards anyway).

The send a guy from the auction house ( BCA ) who then goes over the car in detail. I was charged £35 for a PDR on a slight ding on the door. There was small amount of kerbing on wheels and stone chips on the bumper but this goes as wear and tear. Dings and scrapes are chargeable.

10 hours ago, Stuski said:

Hmmmm id not want to claim on my insurance for that. Think of the increased premiums for years to come. Then god forbid you have an at fault claim within couple years and bye bye no claims discount. 

Indeed.

Protected NCB is a racket, I'd rather insurance companies offered protected premiums.

After all, what's the point of a protected 60% NCB if your gross premium rises from £1000 to £1100?

The former = a net premium of £1000 - 60% = £400.

The latter = a net premium of £1100 - 60% = £440.

You think you're getting a great deal but your gross premium is still hyper-inflated.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

Fair comments. On a side note, I was offered the car this afternoon, for £10,900. It's a 2015 Octavia vRS Diesel hatchback with just under 62k on the clock. Good deal?