Mr muscle trick

Has anyone got photos of the Mr muscle treatment on the turbo? The guide is brilliant except photobucket has ruined it.

I want to know where to put the pipe in the manifold to spray the Mr muscle.

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Gt4thomas said:

Best thing to do is take the car for a proper blast clear out the carbon/soot build up.

You you getting sticking turbo vanes?.

Yeah sticking VNT, limp mode about 4k. Original turbo on 172k miles and remapped to 170hp and 392nm.

I haven't done this yet, I spoke to my mate who is massive in to his PD engines and he says I should just take the turbo off and strip it down to clean properly but I don't have time to do it.

Stripping the turbo is the 'proper' way but if it's not too bad you can have some success with Mr Muscle. It may take one or two goes (3 or 4 in my case) but it is doable.

If you look at the top of the engine, you'll see the EGR valve (looks a bit like a UFO), from the bottom of that there will be a metal pipe leading down and to the right to the top of the turbo with two 13mm bolts either side. That's the hole you're looking for. The bolts may need some persuasion after 14 years of being attached to the turbo and I'd highly recommend having some spares as you may well drop one and spares are pennies anyway. 

You can then just follow most of the guides that all go along the same lines: push the tubing down to the bottom of the turbo and fill it up gently, leave it for a couple of hours with some actuator wiggling every 10-15 mins. Make sure you have gloves on, Mr Muscle is nasty stuff, and make sure you have plenty of stuff to wipe it up with as it does tend to try and get everywhere and there are bits it won't do any favours for. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FollowingGhosts said:

Stripping the turbo is the 'proper' way but if it's not too bad you can have some success with Mr Muscle. It may take one or two goes (3 or 4 in my case) but it is doable.

If you look at the top of the engine, you'll see the EGR valve (looks a bit like a UFO), from the bottom of that there will be a metal pipe leading down and to the right to the top of the turbo with two 13mm bolts either side. That's the hole you're looking for. The bolts may need some persuasion after 14 years of being attached to the turbo and I'd highly recommend having some spares as you may well drop one and spares are pennies anyway. 

You can then just follow most of the guides that all go along the same lines: push the tubing down to the bottom of the turbo and fill it up gently, leave it for a couple of hours with some actuator wiggling every 10-15 mins. Make sure you have gloves on, Mr Muscle is nasty stuff, and make sure you have plenty of stuff to wipe it up with as it does tend to try and get everywhere and there are bits it won't do any favours for. 

imageproxy.jpg

3 hours ago, FollowingGhosts said:

On the guide on here it says when you take the pipe off the manifold there are two holes inside one goes in to the engine and one the turbo, do you have a photo or know if this is true?

On 09/05/2018 at 06:17, retro said:

Yeah sticking VNT, limp mode about 4k. Original turbo on 172k miles and remapped to 170hp and 392nm.

I haven't done this yet, I spoke to my mate who is massive in to his PD engines and he says I should just take the turbo off and strip it down to clean properly but I can't be arsed to do it.

There, FYP. :D

Joking aside, it does sound like it's overboosting, have you checked the codes? It may be more to do with the map than the VNT.

17 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

There, FYP. :D

Joking aside, it does sound like it's overboosting, have you checked the codes? It may be more to do with the map than the VNT.

:D oh trust me I can definitely be bothered I genuinely have no time at the moment.

Would you take the turbo off the manifold or take the manifold and turbo off the head?

No codes, no eml, I will get my mate to read it again on Monday just to make sure, it has been remapped for years and years now by 2 or 3 owners back and it didn't do it when I first bought it which is what made me think it is a dirty turbo.

54 minutes ago, Gt4thomas said:

The stock turbo has the manifold and turbo exhaust side cast as one piece.

So Yeh just remove turbo from the head. Would make it 100 easier to work on.

Brilliant thanks for the info :)

In other news my brakes are squealing on the front and after a quick inspection they are corroded on the inner edge and down to the limit so perfect timing to sort out my 312mm upgrade. 

16 minutes ago, retro said:

Brilliant thanks for the info :)

In other news my brakes are squealing on the front and after a quick inspection they are corroded on the inner edge and down to the limit so perfect timing to sort out my 312mm upgrade. 

I've done the 312mm upgrade. It's very very good. If you can find a set of calipers/carriers for a good price it's well worth it. 

They also fit under the standard 16's on the vrs.

1 hour ago, Gt4thomas said:

I've done the 312mm upgrade. It's very very good. If you can find a set of calipers/carriers for a good price it's well worth it. 

They also fit under the standard 16's on the vrs.

I got a set of calipers and carriers months ago but never bothered doing a rebuild on them until I needed new brakes. Went to bigg red and got a complete pair of rebuild kits today and I have a set of brembo discs and pads on the way too! How much of an improvement would you say it is?

I can use the fabia flexi hoses can't I?

I like the look of how they fill the 16" wheels. I have a set of 17" spiders I will be getting refurbed eventually in metallic purple as summer wheels and I will use the original wheels with winter tyres.

17 hours ago, retro said:

I got a set of calipers and carriers months ago but never bothered doing a rebuild on them until I needed new brakes. Went to bigg red and got a complete pair of rebuild kits today and I have a set of brembo discs and pads on the way too! How much of an improvement would you say it is?

I can use the fabia flexi hoses can't I?

I like the look of how they fill the 16" wheels. I have a set of 17" spiders I will be getting refurbed eventually in metallic purple as summer wheels and I will use the original wheels with winter tyres.

I would say it's a big improvement in stopping power. Should of come standard. Pedal will feel different due to the master cylinder being mismatched. 

Still well worth doing.  The stock vrs brake hoses will fit the bigger calipers.

• Thanks 1