Mk III under seat storage boxes?

I'm new to Skoda and this is my first post. I picked up my new Fabia Estate about 6 weeks ago and I'm really pleased with it so far.

I've been doing a bit of lurking on here for a while and I've read all the posts regarding under seat storage on Fabia Mk1 and II.

I've got a gaping hole under my seats and was thinking of fitting some, however they don't seem to be available as an official accessory via Skoda for this model.

I've seen some on the Superskoda site, which they say are for the MK III and looking at the fixing positions it seems that they would fit.

So, has anyone bought these and fitted them?

I'd just like to here any opinions before I take the plunge and order some.

John

• Like 1

Hi, I own a 2018 hatchback Fabia and was disappointed my previous S spec model had the under seat storage but my color edition did not. I took the plunge and bought a right hand under seat storage. It came with the fixings all but one screw which I added from my own supply of torx 20 head screws. Took about 5 minutes to fit, a little fiddly but using a torch and camera on my phone I was able to ensure the screw holes lined up with spire fasteners included. I didn’t do passenger side as has umbrella under seat which my S did not. I hope that helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Pumatron
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the welcome messages and quick replies. I hadn't considered the umbrella holder to be a problem up till now as it's fixed to the floor and

my passenger seat is on maximum height and well back so it clears it. Are we saying that the storage box can't be fitted with the umbrella holder there?

If the seat was on minimum height and slid forward would it not clear the umbrella holder? Just thinking out loud here but if that is the case then I could easily dispense with the umbrella holder.

44 minutes ago, JXS said:

Thanks for all the welcome messages and quick replies. I hadn't considered the umbrella holder to be a problem up till now as it's fixed to the floor and

my passenger seat is on maximum height and well back so it clears it. Are we saying that the storage box can't be fitted with the umbrella holder there?

If the seat was on minimum height and slid forward would it not clear the umbrella holder? Just thinking out loud here but if that is the case then I could easily dispense with the umbrella holder.

I’m not sure if it will fit or not. The box once fitted doesn’t leave a whole load of room to the floor with seat lowered and I didn’t want to risk spending the money and it not fitting, hence why I just fitted one. I quite like having somewhere to store the umbrella as normally it’s in the boot or rattling in a door pocket. Please also note the boxes are not exactly large in internal dimensions. The handbook folder doesn’t fit in it, to give you an idea. I keep a torch and a folded high visibility vest in mine, and not much room left after that. 

If I remember right they are about €20, which is probably worth it, if it was much more I wouldn’t of bothered if I’m honest, I ordered a few other items as well so to use the postal costs fully. 

It would be interesting to find out the UK dealer price on the box. 

My car has boxes under both seats. There's not much clearance under them, you certainly wouldn't be able to fit one over the umbrella holder. Can't say I use them that often. As @Pumatron says, the boxes aren't large. I occasionally put things in them if I don't want them to get stolen while I've left the car in the less than secure locations, for example my wallet when at rugby matches and things like that, as people aren't likely to go through them. The high-viz jacket isn't a bad idea though. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skodaboy1983 said:

Mine does not have them 67 plate S

Davy

I have to be honest I was shocked to see them under the front seats. My old Fabia S was an ex rental car (2nd rental car I’ve owned and never any issues), but I wonder if it was part of a special spec for rental car? It had metallic paint, A/C and a spare wheel as well. I suppose only way to tell is if someone has a brochure from 2015 era.

15 hours ago, vc-10 said:

My car has boxes under both seats. There's not much clearance under them, you certainly wouldn't be able to fit one over the umbrella holder. Can't say I use them that often. As @Pumatron says, the boxes aren't large. I occasionally put things in them if I don't want them to get stolen while I've left the car in the less than secure locations, for example my wallet when at rugby matches and things like that, as people aren't likely to go through them. The high-viz jacket isn't a bad idea though. 

So to give an idea, I’ve included some pictures of Right hand seat storage. 

I have a high visibility vest in a neat pouch (thank you Mercedes, lol) and a bottle of screen cleaner for touch screens (which I’ve never used!). 

554C2748-53C9-4B12-A243-850B5EF948D9.jpeg

85F8D653-A37E-4A9C-BA22-FDD07919A99D.jpeg

• Like 1

Excellent, a picture, or two, is worth a thousand words.

I see what you mean about the size. I was expecting the bottom of it to more or less match the existing wrap around plastic trim

but it is quite a bit lower. So, I think the umbrella holder will definitely have to go.

Oh, they have shrunk quite a bit, I thought that I had worked out that on the Polo at least, the same drawer etc was used as for the 2002> cars and it was just the front that changed to suit the newer cars!  I just had to buy them for my S4 and yes a high vis thing is in each one - and not much space for more!  Don't Skoda provide hi vis thing storage in the MK3 Fabia - similar aged Ibiza has a semi open framed enclosure in the driver's foot well side, handy as you can see the hi vis showing so in an emergency you might be able to find it, Polo has it in the same position but the frame is closed so the hi vis is not vis.  My wife's last Polo had under seat storage drawers, great I thought and bought extra slim cases for her in-car CD collection - a major fail as they fitted into the drawers "just" so would need shoe horned out and, she could not open the drawers while sitting in the seats - they needed a serious bit of force to get them open, a proper failure by VW, any suggestion that I continue with my plan to spend money fitting them into her current Polo have been scoffed at!

The older ones are quite small anyway. I fitted them to my MK2 Skud after moving the standard blank cover. Good enough for a Tom_Tom or sweets, etc but when I fitted mine, they used to cost around £7 each. I think they saw an explosion in sales of them and of the roof mounted sunglass holder, that also went up a chunk of dough!

My Mk 3 17 plate Fabia SE DSG has a storage box under the driver's seat and an umbrella under the passenger seat. I am puzzled about @horkin's 16 plate SE which has two storage boxes, wonder why the difference between our cars?

17 hours ago, mrgf said:

The older ones are quite small anyway. I fitted them to my MK2 Skud after moving the standard blank cover. Good enough for a Tom_Tom or sweets, etc but when I fitted mine, they used to cost around £7 each. I think they saw an explosion in sales of them and of the roof mounted sunglass holder, that also went up a chunk of dough!

Now you have done it!  You have mentioned "roof mounted sunglasses holder" - why VW muppets thought not fitting that or making it possible to retro fit one really annoys me!  I keep meaning to look to see if new Polo in that area is same as the previous one, if so I can buy me for my wife's car as currently my sunglasses live in the old style grab handle box. VW parts guy once said, "just fit a Golf one" - not sure if I wanted to bodge that in as it is wider than the Polo in that area.

I was wrong about newish Polos having a storage area for a high vis vest on the driver's side - it is on the passenger side of a RHD car, which is not so handy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlecEdworthy said:

My Mk 3 17 plate Fabia SE DSG has a storage box under the driver's seat and an umbrella under the passenger seat. I am puzzled about @horkin's 16 plate SE which has two storage boxes, wonder why the difference between our cars?

The umbrella was a change for the MY17 cars.

• Thanks 2

I have a semi-ridged case for c.d's the you slip bare discs in to separate pockets, like a photo album but its outer is like a sat nav case. This fits nicely in my under seat box. Does the Polo have a blanking plate in the roof, next to the interior lights?

No, the Polo has a panel with two interior monitoring sensors, ie  part of factory fitted alarm.  I looked into fitting the Fabia part as it is closest, but I think that it was these sensors being there that stopped me, I suspect the Fabia plastic box area up on the roof is more the size of the Golf one, if I'm right then why oh why did VW think that making the Polo one slightly narrower was a smart move?

Edit:- my need for getting this sunglasses case up on the roof in wife's Polo is purely for my sunglasses - her sunglasses are far too big/curved to fit in any normal car sunglasses case. Until then I will just have to make do with the older Golf one that replaces the driver's side grab handle. 

Edited by rum4mo

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP on this thread I just thought I would update it for completeness.

I ordered two under seat storage boxes from SuperSkoda and they arrived in 4 working days. They actually have SEAT markings moulded on them but otherwise appear identical to the ones pictured earlier in this thread. I fitted them today, it took me about two hours, without removing the seats. Bit fiddly but nothing too difficult. Just to confirm what was said earlier, I had to completely remove the umbrella holder, which simply slid out after removing the two front seat mounting bolts.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Like most assemblies that are only available on a few models and as after fit options, I'd very much doubt if any piece parts are available - you would need to buy a new drawer, or maybe only a drawer front if they are sold in parts and not fully assembled.

Edited by rum4mo

On 09/05/2018 at 23:03, vc-10 said:

I used to work as a cook in a bail hostel one day I gave a resident a lift into the city centre. At the time I had a car where for security the front radio panel uncliped and I just chucked it in the glove box. Got in the car with my passenger dug the radio front out of the glove box he was horrified never put it there he said or  the door pocket or under the seat, take it with you, well you have to take notice of professional advice. By chance I found out after he was not allowed in the city centre. It was my first week in the job I never gave another resident a lift Joe

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

My two Yeti had the underseat trays for Hi Viz vests under both seats, I have not even looked my new car over yet.

Just too busy.