USB Socket in phone box

Can someone please post a picture of the usb socket in the phone compartment? I'm getting my new Kodiaq this week and I want to buy a cable for my phone to use android auto. I think the tidiest option would be one of these with the angled head, but I don't know whether to get right-handed or left-handed!

For what it's worth, there is enough clearance for a standard Apple USB-lightning cable (my only point of reference as I'm an iPhone user!) - but you might find that a braided cable doesn't flex enough because it is tight. I'd go with the 90-deg angle one if you can find one... I'd love to find one for me but I've never trusted 3rd-party cables for Apple stuff.

I'd definitely recommend a right handed one, this is the one I bought after one of my cables started playing up - Gold Plated Angled USB C Cable Extension 90 Degree Type C to USB 2.0 Right Angle Male Converter Data Sync Charging USB-C Adapter cord(90°Type C-USB A Right) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WNLS1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fnH-Ab90D1ABK

8 hours ago, ace_dynamo said:

I'd definitely recommend a right handed one, this is the one I bought after one of my cables started playing up - Gold Plated Angled USB C Cable Extension 90 Degree Type C to USB 2.0 Right Angle Male Converter Data Sync Charging USB-C Adapter cord(90°Type C-USB A Right) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WNLS1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fnH-Ab90D1ABK

Yep, thats the one I bought. It arrived yesterday (gotta love Amazon Prime!). I don't pick up the car until Friday though, so nice to have the confirmation that its the right one.

Edited by gojoholo

Tight fit into the USB socket, but it works, and the cable is just the right length. Long enough to allow the phone end to be easily connected, but short enough not to get in the way. I'd post a photo, but thats not easy to do while the phone is plugged in...

On 5/18/2018 at 19:40, gojoholo said:

With another phone of course....

phonebox.thumb.jpg.0d14e04feca6946f158aab84974ea822.jpg

Does anyone know if this applies to a Left Hand Drive car too? i.e. do you need a left or right angled head for the USB cable? 

4 hours ago, McGyles said:

the ones that drive on the RIGHT side of the road and the ones that drive on the WRONG side :P

Don't you mean the ones that have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side, as well as those where it is on the WRONG side? :tongueout:

• 4 months later...

Can anyone post a picture of the phone charging unit for a Left hand Drive please? I need to know if i should get a L shaped USB or a R shaped USB. 

I believe its a little different to Right Hand drive cars.

Thanks

K

8 hours ago, fcaselli said:

Yes it came with two USB sockets. Which is great.

The wireless charging box works fine also.

Shame we don't get wireless Apple carplay. That's a major pitfall

Humm that should be a standard SKODA part so should be refitable to older cats.

On 28/09/2018 at 08:09, Kalpz said:

Am impressed that you have 2 USB sockets, hopefully mine will too. 

Thanks for the picture fcaselli

What model gets the twin USB? My Edition, picked up yesterday only has 1!

41 minutes ago, ncpierce said:

What model gets the twin USB? My Edition, picked up yesterday only has 1!

The European models. The RHD UK Kodiaqs (up top MY18 anyways) only get one.

Its been posted here that the non UK spec has two in the front for data plus charging, one in the rear console for charging plus a 230V continental 2 pin socket in it as well.

2 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

The European models. The RHD UK Kodiaqs (up top MY18 anyways) only get one.

Its been posted here that the non UK spec has two in the front for data plus charging, one in the rear console for charging plus a 230V continental 2 pin socket in it as well.

Yes

Mine has all that good stuff.

Don't quite understand why UK's models are different?

I can understand why the rear plug isn’t fitted as there isn’t room for a UK socket, but there is no reason why the USB sockets can’t be fitted, except profit margins.