Key not found fault

My superb has started displaying this and not starting the car, I'm assuming the key battery but the key opens and locks the car from a considerable distance. It works perfectly fine with my spare key and I had to run home earlier to collect my spare. Thankfully I was at my mates and could borrow his van.

Any ideas? I'm gonna change the battery anyway but if anyone else has any ideas.

• Confused 1

That sounds like an immobiliser fault. Since your car works fine with the spare key, it's either an issue with the immobiliser pill in the main key, or a pairing issue between the car and the key. Is there any physical damage to the main key?

If your key is damaged, you'll need to replace the part with the immobiliser pill in it and get it paired to the car. Some key cutting services claim to be able to pair the keys so they might be worth a look first. Otherwise you'll have to go to a dealer to have it paired: the dealer scan tool phones home to the factory to authorise the addition of the key to the vehicle, rather than allowing it to be authorised locally by the dealer tech.

A fault scan with VCDS may help narrow down the problem.

The battery in the key is only there to power the radio transmitter for locking/unlocking. The immobiliser works with a passive RFID pill in the key (same basic technology as is used in contactless payment cards): if that pill is damaged it will stop working.

41 minutes ago, chimaera said:

That sounds like an immobiliser fault. Since your car works fine with the spare key, it's either an issue with the immobiliser pill in the main key, or a pairing issue between the car and the key. Is there any physical damage to the main key?

If your key is damaged, you'll need to replace the part with the immobiliser pill in it and get it paired to the car. Some key cutting services claim to be able to pair the keys so they might be worth a look first. Otherwise you'll have to go to a dealer to have it paired: the dealer scan tool phones home to the factory to authorise the addition of the key to the vehicle, rather than allowing it to be authorised locally by the dealer tech.

A fault scan with VCDS may help narrow down the problem.

The battery in the key is only there to power the radio transmitter for locking/unlocking. The immobiliser works with a passive RFID pill in the key (same basic technology as is used in contactless payment cards): if that pill is damaged it will stop working.

Hmmm think I'll just start using my spare key lol 

I meant to say it doesn't do it all the time either, it'll work as it did for several hours last night after not working for a few hours. Worked fine when I left this afternoon and then didn't work when I was leaving my mates

My key has been doing this on and off over the last year even with a new battery in the key. 

I just put the key in the cup holder and press the start/stop button again 

1 hour ago, buddy said:

My key has been doing this on and off over the last year even with a new battery in the key. 

I just put the key in the cup holder and press the start/stop button again 

I don't have keyless lol

• 2 years later...

I had this on my Karoq yesterday - I had drinen the car a few hundred meters when I had to stop and get out for a moment.

Got the message several times and so I tried locking and unlocking whilst sat in the car then is worked ok

• 6 months later...
On 19/12/2020 at 16:51, Skodaoctoviaestate2008 said:

Anyone has sorted the problem? 

I had this on my old spare key, had it re programmed to the car by my mechanic and he also did another new key for me too (I purchased a new style key fob with the correct chip)