Slow sat nav.

Hi all.

My sat nav is about 20 yards slow i.e. it tells you left turn when you're about 20 yards past the turning. Is this something that can be cured or do I have to put up with it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goldyy said:

My sat nav is about 20 yards slow i.e. it tells you left turn when you're about 20 yards past the turning. Is this something that can be cured or do I have to put up with it?

All GPS receivers, including sat navs, tell you where you WERE when they decoded the signals from the satellite (which they do a few times per second) not where you ARE now, so they will always be slightly behind your current position.

4 hours ago, SWBoy said:

All GPS receivers, including sat navs, tell you where you WERE when they decoded the signals from the satellite (which they do a few times per second) not where you ARE now, so they will always be slightly behind your current position.

That's a bit pointless then.

What use is a sat nav that tells you to turn when you've past the turning.

6 minutes ago, Goldyy said:

one thing to make sure if you're able to, is check it's updated.

My work's tomtom used to act daft until an update about 18 months ago and it's been spot on since.

Which sat nav has your car got?

6 hours ago, Goldyy said:

Hi all.

Cure? Slow down... :D

"Skoda - faster than satellites"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tunedude said:

one thing to make sure if you're able to, is check it's updated.

My work's tomtom used to act daft until an update about 18 months ago and it's been spot on since.

Which sat nav has your car got?

Updated my Amundson only yesterday and it's still 20 yards slow.

My Tom Tom is spot on.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

That doesn't seem right, I'm pretty sure mine gives me the instructions in advance of reaching a turning point.

Mine does the countdown to a turn which if your out in the sticks is fine as not many roads to choose from but if your in town or city with lots of turns it's a nightmare.

4 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Cure? Slow down... :D

"Skoda - faster than satellites"

Can't go much slower I'm slower than James May.

12 hours ago, Goldyy said:

You turn on the before turn warnings and the use the Mark One Eyeball to look for the turning yourself.

6 hours ago, Goldyy said:

Can't go much slower I'm slower than James May.

Normally the accuracy of the calculation is related to the number of satalites its able to connect to & the quality/strength of the signal.

You can see this effect in GoogleMaps as the blue circle reduces in size the longer that the GPS connection is active.

If your TomTom is working fine then there is clearly a good enough signal to define your position & perhaps a bad connection for the GPS anntena on your car??

Does it improve after you drive for a short time or is it always like this?

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

Normally the accuracy of the calculation is related to the number of satalites its able to connect to & the quality/strength of the signal.

You can see this effect in GoogleMaps as the blue circle reduces in size the longer that the GPS connection is active.

If your TomTom is working fine then there is clearly a good enough signal to define your position & perhaps a bad connection for the GPS anntena on your car??

Does it improve after you drive for a short time or is it always like this?

It's been like this from day one,Skoda super backup tells me  'that's how they are'  just like my low pressure off side windscreen washer jet :dull:

I have the Columbus MIB1 from 2014 & mine is pretty good & I would say one of the best "built-in" sat nav I have owned.

No lag & pretty quick to give your location (although the 3D drawing on the screen can be jerky or freezing sometimes.).

Its actually better than my last BMW 320d (2015) and current XC90 (2017) model in terms of usability mainly because the map auto-zooms when you are on a highway or zooms in when you are close to a junction etc

What Navigation unit is fitted to your car & what model year is it?

4 hours ago, Gabbo said:

I have the Columbus MIB1 from 2014 & mine is pretty good & I would say one of the best "built-in" sat nav I have owned.

No lag & pretty quick to give your location (although the 3D drawing on the screen can be jerky or freezing sometimes.).

Its actually better than my last BMW 320d (2015) and current XC90 (2017) model in terms of usability mainly because the map auto-zooms when you are on a highway or zooms in when you are close to a junction etc

What Navigation unit is fitted to your car & what model year is it?

It's an Amundson in 2016 SEL bought new. In the last five year I've had a Mondeo,Captur and this Skoda all new and all sat navs crap.

• 4 years later...
On 28/05/2018 at 19:31, Goldyy said:

It's an Amundson in 2016 SEL bought new. In the last five year I've had a Mondeo,Captur and this Skoda all new and all sat navs crap.

Did you ever find a fix for this?