vRS TDSI suspension rattle

I have a loud rattle over some bumps, more the pothole rather than gentle ones. I looked and now a local garage has and none of us can find the cause. No springs broken, no loose suspension parts, but the sound is definitley front left and sounds like a bag of spanners being shaken. Anyone had anything like this and located the fault? Thanks

Rear shock absorbers faulty by design from the factory possibly. 

Search my previous postings!

Same issue on golf for some. 

Pay 7 Euro and use Erwin to check your vin for a TPI. 

Good luck

I had same issue with my 2015 octavia, had a look at it myself and couldn't find anything worn or loose on the suspension, had it in dealer as it was still in warranty and they said it was the front pads worn in the calipers which was causing the pads to be slightly loose and rattling, weren't too sure about the diagnosis as it definitely sounded more like a suspension knock. Never got round to getting it sorted as i handed car back early and got a new Superb.

OP said it’s from front left so unlikely to be rear shock absorbers. I had the shock issue and it sounded like logs in the boot, checked everything then the dealership changed under warranty- a TPI I suppose?

Mine rattles a bit at the front when hitting potholes though nothing particularly found. Hope you get it sorted. Let us know if you find it!

3 minutes ago, Greenliner1 said:

OP said it’s from front left so unlikely to be rear shock absorbers. I had the shock issue and it sounded like logs in the boot, checked everything then the dealership changed under warranty- a TPI I suppose?

Mine rattles a bit at the front when hitting potholes though nothing particularly found. Hope you get it sorted. Let us know if you find it!

Oops. 

Theres a tpi pi for the front creaking too - vin dependant

I get a loud rattling sound in my car but it’s very intermittent, normally it only occurs when my wife, two daughters and mother in law are in the car......

(brace for impact)

It's the front calipers,know vag problem,there is a fix,my dealer is on notice to fix my shiny new car at its first service.

On 29/05/2018 at 08:56, 181ce said:

It's the front calipers,know vag problem,there is a fix,my dealer is on notice to fix my shiny new car at its first service.

A nice thought as that is simple to fix witha calipoer - at £200 ! A problem that only just materialised after 60,000 miles doesn't sound like one that a shiny new car would have? If it is the calipers then I am unsure what, other than loose, could cause a rattle like a bag of spanners, plus the vRS has different calipers to the standard models.

• 4 weeks later...