Replacing Columbus unit with aftermarket

Hi Kodiaq owners, hope someone can help me out with this.

i'm looking to replace my Columbus infotainment with an Ownice C500 Plus , 

i managed to remove the head unit with the four keys and i can't find the power harness to connect to the new unit.

i tried to find guides / technician manual but i can't seems to find them (if anyone has a PDF / instruction video it will be great)

attached pics of the Columbus unit connectors + the new Ownice connector.

any advise?  

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

In true Internet stylee... why would you want to do this?

Do you realise just how much functionality of the car is controlled through the head unit?

• Like 2

The screen unit you've removed is simply the display for the Columbus. The brain of the system will be inside the glove box with either / or sd card slots, dvd drive, sim card slot. This is where the power connector will be for the new unit you're attempting to fit. Although (as pointed out) I'm not sure what your new unit will bring you against the functions you'll lose from removing the Columbus. You'll have to keep us informed.

The unit in the glove box should just remove using the same keys as the screen, and there'll be connectors on the rear of that. I guess you'll need an extension / adapter loom to run the required cables to the screen new unit from the glove box.

3 hours ago, ziondavidov said:

i'm looking to replace my Columbus infotainment with an Ownice C500 Plus

What advantages would there be to doing this? I believe its an Android based unit, so I'm guessing there are some apps you want to run, but from what I've read the sound quality isn't great.

Also... that's not a Columbus screen - that's Amundsen.

I have no idea what would happen if you pull the plug on the main unit in the glovebox - but as you control all the drive modes, locking, lighting, etc, etc, through the infotainment, I can't imagine it being a particularly sensible idea.

Edit: not even Amundsen... no built-in Nav?

Edited by WiggosSideburns
  • Like 1

Its for having a fully working waze with 4g and gps,  youtube for the kids, car wifi, fully functioning spotify

the current carplay is very limited even with the new ios 12

the main thing im after is having the phone off my windshild to have the navigation and music build in.

but im pretty worried with the limited functionality that ill face but to be honest i hardly use it , maybe beacuse i dont know its there? 

By the way, im that stupid that i had the right metal key stuck in the right side of the glove dep unit and it wont get out ....   maybe ill go to see someone to take it out and install the damn thing.

hope i made sense here :\

3 minutes ago, ziondavidov said:

maybe beacuse i dont know its there?

Maybe you should take the time to read the book that came with the car and learn about all the stuff you can control through the infotainment unit.

4 hours ago, ziondavidov said:

Hi Kodiaq owners, hope someone can help me out with this.

i'm looking to replace my Columbus infotainment with an Ownice C500 Plus , 

Use Google translate and check this link:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/498695594479452614/

I think that approach would be better, but still I have no idea did he retained original infotainment functionalities....

1 hour ago, ziondavidov said:

Its for having a fully working waze with 4g and gps,  youtube for the kids, car wifi, fully functioning spotify

the main thing im after is having the phone off my windshild to have the navigation and music build in.

but im pretty worried with the limited functionality that ill face but to be honest i hardly use it , maybe beacuse i dont know its there? 

By the way, im that stupid that i had the right metal key stuck in the right side of the glove dep unit and it wont get out ....   maybe ill go to see someone to take it out and install the damn thing.

hope i made sense here :\

It does have phone and access to music through various ways.

1 hour ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Maybe you should take the time to read the book that came with the car and learn about all the stuff you can control through the infotainment unit.

As WiggoSideburns says take time to RTFM.

29 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

That was not me.

A bug in the forum software - it doesn't recognise a quote taken from a quote within a post, so attributes it to the author of the post, not the author of the quote.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/06/2018 at 11:00, ziondavidov said:

hope i made sense here 😕

Hi Ziondavidov,

Did you manage to get the unit out of the glovebox ? I'm trying myself but can't get to the wires behind to unplug, almost like the wiring loom is too short, did you have same problem? 

I’m guessing the cables may just be a little trapped it’s very unusual to have a loom that short that you can’t pull the headunit out I’m guessing also you maybe able to remove the lower glove box and stick your hand up . Have a search for diy camera installs