Waiting for my 1.0 TSI - manual

forty_tw0

Hi everyone, I am waiting for my Karoq 1.0 manual in meteor gray - should be here in 3 weeks or so! 

My choice was solely based on reading countless reviews, as this particular engine wasn't available for a test drive. So I would be very happy to hear some of your experience with this combination? Mainly I am interested how the car performs up a hill (let's say a motorway with an incline) - if you felt that you have to downshift to keep it going... Also, I am interested to know what you think about gear dynamics in city driving? Do you feel that you have to change gears too often? Anyway, I do most of my driving in the city. 

Where I come from the configurations offered for the Karoq are slightly different from the ones offered in the UK. I decided on the 1.0 and some more options, rather than the 1.5 with less equipment.

Can't help with your query but just find it interesting the different specs in different countries. In New Zealand there is no 1.0 option and no manual option at all across the entire range, only DSG.  I doubt there is any main stream vehicle manufacturer that offers manual now and I suspect 80% of under 35s would have no idea how to drive a manual.  I am sure you will be pleased with your choice.

Just now, NZPETE said:

Can't help with your query but just find it interesting the different specs in different countries. In New Zealand there is no 1.0 option and no manual option at all across the entire range, only DSG.  I doubt there is any main stream vehicle manufacturer that offers manual now and I suspect 80% of under 35s would have no idea how to drive a manual.  I am sure you will be pleased with your choice.

I suspect it all has to do with the size and the needs of the market. Where I come from, the biggest problem is that car companies rarely have "everyday configurations" for test drives - not sure what percentage of drivers can afford the top of the range configurations!

It's interesting, some of the standard equipment in the UK was actually extra for me. But then again, that's reflected in the price. 

Theres a fair few here in Ireland as well as Octavia and T-Roc owners with the same motor and manual gearbox. I havent met anyone who wasn't pleased with it and also the mpg.

Mate of mine has an Ateca with the same engine. Had it now for around six months. With the missus and two teenagers plus luggage the car doesn’t struggle. I think unless your towing a caravan or equivalent large loaded trailer I think you will be happy.

My daughter and I test drove a one litre, again the Ateca and there was enough torque that she wasn’t changing gears to often around the town.

I thought I noticed a difference when I tried the 1.0 Ateca compared to Karoq. Ateca definitely felt weaker, girlfriend thought same too. Not sure why if it's the same engine, might be other factors that affect a test car I guess. 

1 hour ago, Dratuk said:

Mate of mine has an Ateca with the same engine. Had it now for around six months. With the missus and two teenagers plus luggage the car doesn’t struggle. I think unless your towing a caravan or equivalent large loaded trailer I think you will be happy.

My daughter and I test drove a one litre, again the Ateca and there was enough torque that she wasn’t changing gears to often around the town.

I'm glat to hear that! I won't be towing a caravan. I've never done it in my life. :) 

Also happy to hear there is no need for excessive gear changing. 

The only thing I am slightly regreting (for now) is not getting the auto AC. I will have the manual one. I did go for full LED though. 

1 hour ago, Tom34 said:

I thought I noticed a difference when I tried the 1.0 Ateca compared to Karoq. Ateca definitely felt weaker, girlfriend thought same too. Not sure why if it's the same engine, might be other factors that affect a test car I guess. 

That's strange to hear! The Ateca is essentialy the same car as the Karoq. 

3 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

Theres a fair few here in Ireland as well as Octavia and T-Roc owners with the same motor and manual gearbox. I havent met anyone who wasn't pleased with it and also the mpg.

I think the trick is in not trying the 1.5. :) 

• Haha 1

I have had my 1.0 manual for a month now. All short journeys so far but tomorrow it's a trip to the seaside so I will see how it does on a 150 mile round trip with probably half on the motorway. With town driving, I had a 1.4 Octavia estate before and I am finding that at give way junctions, I have to change down to first year at rolling speed - otherwise the car coughs and stalls if I try to pull away in 2nd gear. The 1.4 Octavia had more flexibility in situations like that.

3 minutes ago, Berniebantam said:

I have had my 1.0 manual for a month now. All short journeys so far but tomorrow it's a trip to the seaside so I will see how it does on a 150 mile round trip with probably half on the motorway. With town driving, I had a 1.4 Octavia estate before and I am finding that at give way junctions, I have to change down to first year at rolling speed - otherwise the car coughs and stalls if I try to pull away in 2nd gear. The 1.4 Octavia had more flexibility in situations like that.

Thanks for the input. What is your general impression of the car? Anything else you feel is a drawback? Also, let us know how the trip went. :)

46 minutes ago, Berniebantam said:

That is pretty well reflects what is said in other parts of the Forum about the 1.0tsi in Fabia compared to 1.2tsi, and the 1.0tsi in the Octavia compared to 1.2 and 1.4.

However most claim the reduced flexibility is offset by noticeably improved economy and at least equivalent performance (to the 1.2tsi).

I imagine the slight change to driving style required becomes second nature after a while.

Update on my seaside trip. 154 mile round trip with approx 70% on motorway. Love the high driving position. I think the car was better suited to the motorway than city driving. The 1.0 engine was fine in 6th gear with plenty of acceleration up hills when needed. I used cruise control when I could and the trip computer said the journey was an average of 48.2 mpg. Not as good as I expected but I did have the air condition on a lot. Another test in couple of weeks with a 250 mile journey to South coast. Then I will have topped 1000 miles.

2 hours ago, Berniebantam said:

Update on my seaside trip. 154 mile round trip with approx 70% on motorway. Love the high driving position. I think the car was better suited to the motorway than city driving. The 1.0 engine was fine in 6th gear with plenty of acceleration up hills when needed. I used cruise control when I could and the trip computer said the journey was an average of 48.2 mpg. Not as good as I expected but I did have the air condition on a lot. Another test in couple of weeks with a 250 mile journey to South coast. Then I will have topped 1000 miles.

Good news! A question: is the cabin well insulated? Any comments on wind/engine noise in the cabin while on the motorway? Thanks!

Changed to the small engine from a 2.0L (140) Yeti. It is a bit less flexible but nothing significant although I've not driven mine 5 up with a load of luggage. A bit more gear changing but the cruise control stays set during gear changing (Yeti's didn't). I would say that I get a bit of wind noise from the drivers exterior mirror at Motorway speed but it's not excessive

I agree about the wind noise from the big mirrors but I just turn up Iron Maiden on the sound system!!!

Found a negative yesterday.....they charge me an extra £1 at the carwash because of the size of the car and the guys have to stand on the top of the re ar wheel to dry the roof.