5 Years on and still lovin' it!

It is 5 years to the day since I took delivery of my Roomster SE 1.6TDi.   Without doubt the best car I have ever owned in 45yrs of driving.  I genuinely look forward to long motorway trips in it and expect to keep it at least another 5yrs unless before then the government clamp down hard on "demon" diesels.

I had 2 Octavias before this.  Took the last one in for a service with a courtesy car booked.  My heart sank when I was told (VERY apologetically) that the only car left was a Roomster.  Within 10 minutes I was hooked.  After 150 miles I didn't want to take it back.  10 months later I bought one!

Here are some stats:

49,600 trouble free miles.  Used 4,100 litres of diesel, so an average of just under 55mpg.

I am about half way through my 3rd set of front tyres.  Each pair have lasted 18k miles or so.  First 2 pairs were Continentals, currently on Hankooks.  Rear tyres are about half worn and are the original Continentals.

Main dealer serviced on the annual/9500mile schedule.  Big bill last time with cambelt and water pump change.  Still on the original brakes that I will change later this year.

Used no significant amount of oil between services so never added a single drop!

Problems?  

Exhaust sensor failed at 6mths old - replaced under warranty

Micro-switch for glovebox light came adrift causing light to stay on - fixed under warranty.

Persistent suspension clunk at low speed over bumps such as speed humps.  Has defied all attempts at a cure and I live with it.

Steering pull to the left - on the Continentals I just about cured it by putting an extra 0.1 bar pressure in the nearside front.  No similar problem with the Hankooks that also seem to be wearing better than the Continentals.

Ermm...  nothing else!  I think that's all!!  I intend to steer well clear of the emissions "fix".

Love:

Interior space - regularly carry 4 adults and luggage.

Light, bright and airy interior with panoramic roof and light coloured trim.  So many other cars seem dark, dingy and cramped in comparison.

Versatile rear seats that make the already generous boot into a cavern!

Economy

Comfort

The 105PS version of the 1.6TDi has loads of mid range punch for overtaking.

The exclusivity!  In 5 years I reckon I have only seen half a dozen Candy White Roomsters.

Dislike:

Who thought it was a good idea to put the 12V power socket next to the handbrake?  In trying to locate it for rear seat and front seat passengers they make it useless for both.  If you want to mount a windscreen dash-cam, sat-nav or phone holder it is too far to reach.  Luckily I have the Amundsen sat-nav installed so never use it!

The exorbitant cost of map updates for the Amundsen.  Skoda charge £120!!!  Luckily I have updated a couple of times with Ebay supplied SD's but even they cost £40-60.  The updates are also a LONG way behind!  A new roundabout near home still failed to appear on the map update 1 year later.  Maybe it was a mistake splashing out on the Amundsen!

So... Roll on the next 5 years!!

Skoda Roomster SE 1.6 Tdi .JPG

• Like 3

I intend to agree. Even though I have the 1.2 tsi long journeys are a breeze. Driven to Mont Blanc and back with no back or bottom ache. I went in to buy a Yeti but bought the Roomster. Never regretted it.

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 1

Much as I love my Yeti, my 2009 Roomster Scout 1.9TDI remains the best car I have owned in almost 50 years of driving.  I sold my Scout only because of the return of an old knee injury, which meant I could no longer drive a manual.  Sadly, I found the Roomster SE DSG that replaced it a lot less comfortable - its (comparatively) soggy seats causing discomfort after just 30 minutes at the wheel.  To this day, I curse myself for not bagging a Roomster Scout DSG before production ceased.  Good, used models were as rare as rocking horse poo - which is why I went on to bag a Yeti before it, too ceased production.

Still feeling the love here too.

Had three of them since 2007, all diesels.

No idea what to replace the current one with. Probably go for the youngest Yeti I can find.

At the end of this month we will celebrate out 8 years of ownership. Following the initial post, after 123.500Km the only major defects were a timing chain replacement that I had to pay as Skoda refused to cover (That was the day I decided not to visit their grid again) and a water pump that was replaced with a refurbished one at a local Seat Dealership for almost half the price of Skoda's quote.

The only thing that I hate is the tyre dimensions issue that are ridiculously overpriced.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree completely with eccleshill, particularly on the 'likes'. My SE TDI 1.6 was bought as an ex-test drive demo from the Skoda dealership on September 2012 and has completed 100k miles since then. Just had the timing belts etc service before Xmas. 

All trouble-free driving, including some long 2000 mile road trips fully laden with family and lugage, apart from a cracked EGR radiator that was replaced under guarantee and a small banjo bolt relating to the oil exhaust valve that had broken resulting in a small oil leak that was replaced for £15 at the last service. 

Have changed front tyres 3 times (OEM Dunlops, then Fulda Ecocontact, then Nexen N Blue Ecos) the Dunlops were great but wore out quickly, the Fuldas had been great when I used them in my previous VW, but not so good on the Roomster and wore out quickly  (although still on the back) and the Nexens were surprisingly good, particularly when new, with great grip and handling.

Love the unorthodox looks and space, overall clever design, reliability, economy, good build, and loads of advanced features that even more high-spec cars at the time and even now do not have. It is excellent for long motorway trips.

My main bugbears: changing any light bulbs on the front headlight assembly on the side of the fuel filter, the strange internal pressure buffeting/booming in the cab when driving with the back windows open, and (compared with my old rear drive VW), the dread of navigating any substantial upward inclines that have occasionally resulted in loss of front-wheel traction particularly when fully-laden. Also, CDs don't eject sometime, and the back passenger window is sometimes temperamental and can block temporarily.

I have managed to keep fuel consumption to about 53-4 mpg most of the time with good tyre pressure monitoring. (e.g. done fully-laden on one tank (just under 60 litres) the distance from Luxemburg to Vienna).

Like the other posters, I am at a loss as to what I would eventually replace it with. My 10 year old wants me to keep it and give it to him when he gets a licence! It might have to be the Caddy by the looks of it. Shame there is no bold new version of the Roomster. I think the Roomster was ahead of its time (and the market?) and hence its mixed  market appeal, but, in time, will be seen as a ground-breaking  car. I would buy one again without hesitation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ReneR said:

Shame there is no bold new version of the Roomster. I think the Roomster was ahead of its time (and the market?) and hence its mixed market appeal, but, in time, will be seen as a ground-breaking car. I would buy one again without hesitation.

Hammer, nail, head. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Coming up to 8 years from new. Only done 41k but I still have the thrill as when I bought it new. Paint is still good and the only bulb replaced was for the number plate which was an easy fix. I get the pestering texts and emails from my local dealer to attend launches and special offers for latest models. Why change a good one? Drove through six EU countries in 2019, four up with luggage without a whimper or missed  beat. Know the devil you know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edbostan said:

Coming up to 8 years from new. Only done 41k but I still have the thrill as when I bought it new. Paint is still good and the only bulb replaced was for the number plate which was an easy fix. I get the pestering texts and emails from my local dealer to attend launches and special offers for latest models. Why change a good one? Drove through six EU countries in 2019, four up with luggage without a whimper or missed  beat. Know the devil you know.

Ye know how you feel,  had mine for 11years before passing it on to my son and family. My son is involved with the local football team, his son plays. They take the balls and some other kit back home each week, there's still plenty of room left in the boot for other stuff.

The only problem I had was the Scout seats being a bit firm, but sorted that with a set of leather seats.

Yes I agree it is still a very practical car, it is actually nicer to sit in the back than our newer car (windows are much bigger, and there is the big glass roof)

Ours has done 42k miles, it is a September 2012 registered 1.2tsi DSG, but in last 18 months has needed a number of replacements (both drive gaiters split, and needed replacing to pass mot), new tyres as 2 were worn treads, and other 2 on back were cracking as 7 years old, so we went for all seasons (handy in recent cold weather), tailgate wiring loop failed, blower resister needed replacing (fan only working on 4)

Having recently moved to a country area, realised headlights are poor, so changed to nightbreakers (surprisingly hard bulbs to change).

About to commence some house renovation, so will keep it for a while as it is very handy to carry things

• Like 1

Nice to see the love being felt for the quirky Roomster after so long. Skoda certainly knew how to build cars back in the early 2000s. I had a 2010 Fabia Estate TDi for 50000 miles  and it’s still going strong according to the MOT checker at around 120K. Now got a Octavia III that is proving extremely reliable. Reading the Octavia IV forum, there isn’t much incentive to get a IV, although I probably will eventually! 

But in in the meantime, I feel that older cars like the Roomster have the upper hand in terms of reliability due to the lack of tech. Incidentally Skoda only has 5 Roomsters for sale nationally in their dealer network!

• Like 1