RS 245 refinement and road noise

I'm thinking of purchasing a new 245 RS and I have one concern, road noise and in general, refinement. I had a 08 170 mk 2 RS that my wife currently still drives until her karoq arrives next month. And I hearing that the MK3 RS road noise hasn't improved much over the mk 2 RS. It's this the case? I haven't driven mk 3 petrol rs as they are rare here in Ireland, so any opinions, experience of similar would be welcome.

Would there be much difference in refinement between the RS and a gti performance?

I'd say take one for a test drive, make sure you get some rough motorway at speed and see how you find it.

Road noise is probably one of the biggest issues I have with the VRS. Its not unbearable but it's definitely there.

A Golf GTI will have slightly less road noise due to better sound insulation. 

I might try get a so I'm a diesel rs as it might be close enough to the petrol in road noise.

The wife doesn't like the idea of my buying a gti as she thinks it's not a family car. So I'm begin persuaded to look at the RS.bi do like the RS but I don't think I could keep a car 4-5 years of the road noise is poor

cant comment on refinement as haven't driven the 245 vrs

however if buying the 2.0 tsi engine, i'd be more concerned about coolant leaks from thermostat / water pump

there's been far too many problems with thermostats leaking on these engines for my liking, and many at low mileage.

it's a shame too, as otherwise it's a great engine.

not a problem if buying on pcp, lease etc,  only if intending on keeping the car long term.

It's a pretty costly fix too and not an easy diy job

Just now, *JP* said:

Can you still get the 245 new?

I thought the 245 was a limited edition and now discontinued?

There is one manual version in stock. I believe all GTi, R, vRS,  Cupra cars going forward will come with DSG only..

7 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

cant comment on refinement as haven't driven the 245 vrs

however if buying the 2.0 tsi engine, i'd be more concerned about coolant leaks from thermostat / water pump

there's been far too many problems with thermostats leaking on these engines for my liking, and many at low mileage.

it's a shame too, as otherwise it's a great engine.

not a problem if buying on pcp, lease etc,  only if intending on keeping the car long term.

It's a pretty costly fix too and not an easy diy job

I though that coolant leak was resolved on the later engines..

I looked at a 14 gti a month ago and it had a coolant leak

19 minutes ago, jcdub said:

I though that coolant leak was resolved on the later engines..

I looked at a 14 gti a month ago and it had a coolant leak

haven't heard about any fix , but someone else might come along and tell us otherwise.

a lot of golf r owners have had problems and some at low mileages,  would be better if it had been made out of metal [ water pump] all this plastic stuff might be weight saving but to me it stinks of cost cutting.

20 hours ago, 310golfr said:

haven't heard about any fix , but someone else might come along and tell us otherwise.

a lot of golf r owners have had problems and some at low mileages,  would be better if it had been made out of metal [ water pump] all this plastic stuff might be weight saving but to me it stinks of cost cutting.

I was told there is now a modified housing/unit that gets fitted as a replacement when the original fails (im guessing this is now whats fitted to the later new cars) my Golf R 2015 had just started to use coolant before i traded it in (lucky me) it looked to be coming from the water pump/thermostat housing area,thankfully it lasted the week before it became the dealers problem.It does seem to be a very common problem & not a cheap fix either.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:03, jcdub said:

I'm thinking of purchasing a new 245 RS and I have one concern, road noise and in general, refinement. I had a 08 170 mk 2 RS that my wife currently still drives until her karoq arrives next month. And I hearing that the MK3 RS road noise hasn't improved much over the mk 2 RS. It's this the case? I haven't driven mk 3 petrol rs as they are rare here in Ireland, so any opinions, experience of similar would be welcome.

Would there be much difference in refinement between the RS and a gti performance?

I have had my 245 for 10 months now and done 10,470 miles to date. There is some tyre noise which gets worse on poor road surfaces (particularly concrete), but 70 per cent of my mileage is done on the M1 motorway at sensible speeds so its acceptable. I don't have the DCC suspension either, everything is in SPORT using the Individual button except the steering which I leave in normal because in Sport the steering it too heavy for parking and would make it too sensitive to crosswinds on the motorway. Hope this real feedback helps you with your decision. Good luck!:blink:

We'll after trying to complete a deal with my local Skoda dealer in Ireland, western motors, I decided to go an alternative route. They weren't doing me any favours on the deal considering it was the last 245 rs in the country and it would be slow to sell at 41500 euro.

So I bought myself a 2017 BMW 330e M sport. Being a year old it cost me 8k less than the rs would have and I got an additional 1.5k more for my car. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. I've been in the VAG stable for over 20 years, with cars ranging from 2 X gti's, 1 X vrs, 2 x CC, 3 X A6. So I'm a little disappointed that the rs deal couldn't be completed but after owning the BMW a week or so now, I believe I made the right decision. It's fast comfortable, economical. It's my first BMW, first rwd and first hybrid. With my job a 20kms round trip I run on batteries they're and back. So I'll save plenty in petrol. Then when I feel like a bit of fun I combine the two and it comes alive. 

Anyway I'll be still kinda attached to VAG as my wife has a karoq being delivered in a couple of weeks.

Think I might sell my vcds kit now..

Edited by jcdub

3 hours ago, jcdub said:

We'll after trying to complete a deal with my local Skoda dealer in Ireland, western motors, I decided to go an alternative route. They weren't doing me any favours on the deal considering it was the last 245 rs in the country and it would be slow to sell at 41500 euro.

So I bought myself a 2017 BMW 330e M sport.

Don't the runflat tyres make a lotta road noise on the BMW?

8 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Don't the runflat tyres make a lotta road noise on the BMW?

Run flats in general create more road noise that standard tires. Although it can vary a great deal depending on the brand and model of tyre. So far I'm happy with the level of road noise. Running Pirelli P7. I'll probably be going to Goodyear or Michelin when their gone.