Columbus WLAN and data services

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

+1

Columbus does not use the sdcard for navigation.

It only uses it for updating the Maps.

I suspect @syanide has the older Amunsden, which uses the navigation card like he showed.

Cheers. I will check tomorrow. I have a 65plate MK3 superb ( L&K) with a unit which had physica roundl buttons for "volume" and "menu" and physical, actual buttons for all of the other options, exactly like in the first image posted above. 

I will double check tomorrow and report back. 

Any luck with this? My car's booked in for next week so I'll be asking them to sort it out.

I'll have to explain in full and ask them to just send an email to some team in CZ who actually know how all the infotainment features function, because otherwise the person I speak to about it will probably not know about this feature at all, I'll explain how it should work and what it does, and then they'll try everything I've already tried, and then when I pick the car up that night they'll say "it doesn't work" and I'll then say "I know it doesn't work, that's why I mentioned it" and then at that point they'll end up escalating to a pro anyway :clap:

On 27/10/2018 at 03:25, syanide said:

Cheers. I will check tomorrow. I have a 65plate MK3 superb ( L&K) with a unit which had physica roundl buttons for "volume" and "menu" and physical, actual buttons for all of the other options, exactly like in the first image posted above. 

I will double check tomorrow and report back. 

So I have a Columbus, but the Nav did seem too work without the SD card strangely. See attached. I'm assuming it is a Columbus?

IMG_20181027_085939.jpg

8 minutes ago, drewellis said:

Any luck with this? My car's booked in for next week so I'll be asking them to sort it out.

I'll have to explain in full and ask them to just send an email to some team in CZ who actually know how all the infotainment features function, because otherwise the person I speak to about it will probably not know about this feature at all, I'll explain how it should work and what it does, and then they'll try everything I've already tried, and then when I pick the car up that night they'll say "it doesn't work" and I'll then say "I know it doesn't work, that's why I mentioned it" and then at that point they'll end up escalating to a pro anyway :clap:

I get the Columbus to connect to my phone, but still stuck as to what Columbus can do with it! When trying to "update" it's comes up with a "no data" error. So not sure how to check if Columbus is actually getting any data from my phone.  If that side doesn't work, then it follows that the hotspot feature will come up with the error we are seeing.

1 minute ago, syanide said:

So I have a Columbus, but the Nav did seem too work without the SD card strangely. See attached. I'm assuming it is a Columbus?

IMG_20181027_085939.jpg

Did work or didn't?

It should work fine without the SD card, yes that's a Columbus and the maps are on the built in HDD

Just now, drewellis said:

Did work or didn't?

It should work fine without the SD card, yes that's a Columbus and the maps are on the built in HDD

It did work. I thought it was strange as I don't see the point of the official SD card I have then??? When exploring this, it only has a folder called "Maps" on it!! 

IMG_20181026_212421.jpg

It did work. I thought it was strange as I don't see the point of the official SD card I have then??? When exploring this, it only has a folder called "Maps" on it!! 

IMG_20181026_212421.jpg

I think that was probably the original SD card that came with the car from the factory, with the map data on it for installation and for use during updates.

What they probably didn't foresee is the fact that the maps files now exceed the maximum size of their factory SD cards from 2016 and earlier.

So now we have to use bigger cards (at our own expense) for updates, but nobody complains because you can use any SD card big enough and the updates are free - many manufacturers charge annually for this.

A lot of VAG models with lesser versions of the MIB infotainment units than Columbus require the SD card to be installed for the maps to function. Not only this, but each SD card is uniquely paired to each car which means if you lost it, you'd have to go to VW/Skoda etc to buy a new one and have it linked to your car which I believe costs a fortune.

3 minutes ago, drewellis said:

I think that was probably the original SD card that came with the car from the factory, with the map data on it for installation and for use during updates.

What they probably didn't foresee is the fact that the maps files now exceed the maximum size of their factory SD cards from 2016 and earlier.

So now we have to use bigger cards (at our own expense) for updates, but nobody complains because you can use any SD card big enough and the updates are free - many manufacturers charge annually for this.

A lot of VAG models with lesser versions of the MIB infotainment units than Columbus require the SD card to be installed for the maps to function. Not only this, but each SD card is uniquely paired to each car which means if you lost it, you'd have to go to VW/Skoda etc to buy a new one and have it linked to your car which I believe costs a fortune.

So, once we download an update and update the actual maps using our own SD card, would Columbus still need the SD card or will it continue to use its own memory once updated, regardless of size?

So, once we download an update and update the actual maps using our own SD card, would Columbus still need the SD card or will it continue to use its own memory once updated, regardless of size?

It'll use it's own memory :biggrin: the update process goes something like this:

1) you download the new maps onto computer from the portal (last time took all night for me, just left it running)

2) copy them onto the SD card keeping the same folder structure (just copy over what you've got)

3) enter SD into car and follow the install procedure - this copies the map data from SD card to internal HDD (and takes an absolute age)

• Like 1

Not quite in my experience.

Use http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

Have a blank formatted 32gb or larger SD card to hand and inserted in the computer.

Input your VIN, select your updates and follow the instructions. It will download a manager which you then run. That will pull all the updates onto the computer then after you confirm it will unpack the downloads onto the SD card with the correct folders and files.

Then place SD card into the car, select the update from the Columbus settings menu, and for me it took around 30 mins. Ignition did not have to be on in my case.

Edited by xman

8 hours ago, syanide said:

IMG_20181026_212421.jpg

5L0 051 236P - is designed for the Amundsen units.

google it.

either they incorrectly put the sd-card in urs.

or

u do have an Amundsen unit, not a Columbus.   but u did say that the navigation worked without the card.

so that would indicate the 1st scenario.

Edited by JR RS

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

5L0 051 236P - is designed for the Amundsen units.

google it.

either they incorrectly put the sd-card in urs.

or

u do have an Amundsen unit, not a Columbus.   but u did say that the navigation worked without the card.

so that would indicate the 1st scenario.

So what's the definitive way of knowing if it is Columbus or Amundsen??? I've posted a pic of mine above...

1 hour ago, syanide said:

So what's the definitive way of knowing if it is Columbus or Amundsen??? I've posted a pic of mine above...

based on ur pics, and navigation behaviour - it sure looks like a Columbus.

but i'll have a look in mine, to see if there is anywhere in the infotainment menu's that explicity states wat model it is.

will get back to u shortly........

Just now, drewellis said:

Uuhhhh...this is mine... :giggle:

F3FCAD22-938A-4F8B-A5A3-76E37C5A8A78.jpeg

What's the bloody difference???? Aaargh. I'm a green person and need details so stuff like this bugs me. Yours is B and mine is A. Your hardware is H50 and mine is H42....

i found these list of part numbers in regards to the infotainment.....

Displays
5E0 919 605 A / B / C   = Bolero (no nav)
5E0 919 605 D / E       = MIB1 Amundsen
5E0 919 605 H           = MIB2 Bolero
5E0 919 605 J           = MIB2 Amundsen
5E0 919 606             = MIB Columbus - MIB2 Columbus

Head Units
5Q0035864A /B           = MIB2 Amundsen
5Q0035874A /B           = MIB2 Amundsen
3V0035043A / B / C / D  = MIB2 Columbus
3V0035020A / B / C / D  = MIB2 Columbus
3V0035046B / C / D      = MIB2 Columbus
3V0035045A / B / C / D  = MIB2 Columbus
3V0035021 / B / C / D   = MIB2 Columbus
5E0035020               = MIB Columbus
5E0035020C              = MIB Columbus

It’s no wonder this WiFi thing doesn’t work on some units. There are so many variations! I thought MIB2 was a single, newer version of MIB. 

So mine is 3V0 035 020 B

It has Bluetooth, no SIM, DAB and TV Tuner. It also appears to have WiFi (but doesn’t work as per this thread)

On 02/11/2018 at 08:24, drewellis said:

It’s no wonder this WiFi thing doesn’t work on some units. There are so many variations! I thought MIB2 was a single, newer version of MIB. 

So mine is 3V0 035 020 B

It has Bluetooth, no SIM, DAB and TV Tuner. It also appears to have WiFi (but doesn’t work as per this thread)

Did you ever try connecting the car to home broadband WiFi and then see if the highly unuseful Connect apps work, which would show the car can get a data connection?

On my car (with the latest Columbus and just over a year old) I had to renew the connected services licences recently. One is for the online services like traffic, parking spaces, etc. The other is for remote access to info on car like location, status etc. Did the older units need a valid licence too or is this not even available?

one further question on this before i download 24GB....is the update only available via SD card? Or can it be done via the USB port too? I have a 32GB USB dongle thing but not a SD card and don't want to order one if i don't need it.

2 minutes ago, syanide said:

Or can it be done via the USB port too? I have a 32GB USB dongle thing but not a SD card and don't want to order one if i don't need it.

According to what I've read on this forum, yes, people have updated using a USB memory stick.