Octavia VRS 2.0 tsi tank range and average mpg

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My cost per mile for fuel is also just over £0.14 as well after the first 10,000 miles.My average to date 39.3 using 1,156.50 litres of super unleaded.

Interesting that you're on the same 14p, mine gets boggo 95 rather than super which is cheaper. I've tried a few tanks of super but never noticed any difference - appreciate yours is mapped though.

10 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Interesting that you're on the same 14p, mine gets boggo 95 rather than super which is cheaper. I've tried a few tanks of super but never noticed any difference - appreciate yours is mapped though.

Recently I've been getting 41 to 45mpg on a regular basis but let the wife drive it and she tends to drive faster than me hence my overall mpg drops below the 40 mark. Just using super unleaded gave me an extra 7bhp on the dyno but have seen 13bhp more on my old MK 1 Octavia VRS 1.8 Turbo which had 190bhp on the dyno before stage 1 re-map to 230bhp.

10 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

I get around 34-35 average out of each tank... And I really don't try for economy, quite a mix of roads/journeys

I’m about the same, maybe slightly more.

Last weekend I did just over 600 miles of mostly motorway driving was getting an average of 38 mph, used about a tank & half of petrol (V Power)

2 minutes ago, hazzaardous said:

I have a dtuk box installed to my mk3 octavia vrs tsi 2.0. I drove from shepway in the south of UK to Aberdeen and averaged 49mpg. Managed to get 460 miles out of one tank. 

I can't imagine how boring that drive must have been. :tongueout:

• 1 month later...

Just got my worst and best tankfuls, one after the other.  I've been tracking with Fuelly since the vRS was new:

Worst - 24.58mpg

Best - 42.40mpg

Worst was immediately after I had to have a tank of ordinary Tesco fuel as they were out of Momentum.  Interestingly it was okay on standard fuel.  I did notice a difference, but it wasn't as much as I expected it to be.

Best tank was Eastbourne to Norwich on Sunday, and back the following day.  I kept between 62 & 64 mph on motorway and dual carriageway on the way up and the car was showing 44mpg.  Kept it at 70mph on the return journey and it showed as 43mpg.  401 miles round trip with the car reporting 60 miles range left when I filled back up.  Average speed was 54mph (my long term average is 28mph).

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
another blooming typo!

50 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

Just got my worst and best tankfuls, one after the other.  I've been tracking with Fuelly since the vRS was new:

Worst - 24.58mpg

Best - 42.40mpg

Worst was immediately after I had to have a tank of ordinary Tesco fuel as they were out of Momentum.  Interestingly it was okay on standard fuel.  I did notice a difference, but it wasn't as much as I expected it to be.

Best tank was Eastbourne to Norwich, and back the following day.  I kept between 62 & 64 mph on motorway and dual carriageway on the way up and the car was showing 44mpg.  Kept it at 70mph on the return journey and it showed as 43mpg.  401 miles round trip with the car reporting 60 miles range left when I filled back up.  Average speed was 54mph (my long term average is 28mph).

Gaz

I've done a number of tanks on Momentum and plenty on Tesco 95. I can't tell any difference in terms of how it drives or on fuel economy in my standard TSI.

Last 5 tanks of super unleaded have cost me 14.41 pence per mile which is probably very close to a standard VRS Tsi car using 95 octane unleaded. This has been achieved as follows;

440 miles  48.0 litres  10.56 gallons @41.67MPG.

401 miles 45.61 litres 10.03 gallons @39.98MPG.

422 miles 46.39 litres  10.20 gallons @41.37MPG.

373 miles 38.78 litres  8.53 gallons  @43.73MPG.

426 miles 42.10 litres  9.26 gallons  @46.00MPG.

Total cost of fuel £297.07 and mileage covered 2,062. Even my worst tank is impressive considering during the first 10,000 miles I averaged 39.3MPG. Current mileage stands at 12,174 which demonstrates the improvement over the last 2 months.:biggrin:

What is your average journey length, average speed and type of road when you are achieving those figures. I've said before in another thread but I get no where near those figures and can only just creep into the 40s when really trying at constant speed on the motorway circa 70 mph or less. Some average speed limit 50 always helps.

Edited by Kahunajb
  • Like 1

Interesting innit.  Can't help but wonder if I drove ah's car, would I not notice the fuel difference, and equally if ah was to drive mine would they then notice it?

Similarly, if Shy was to drive mine, would the mpg go up, and if I drove theirs, would I get as good mpg?

I was driving like a saint on the way up to Norfolk, even reading the road ahead and speeding up a tad on the downhill's to get momentum for the up's.  Like Kahuna, I have to really try to get anywhere near the 40's.

Gaz

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kahunajb said:

What is your average journey length, average speed and type of road when you are achieving those figures. I've said before in another thread but I get no where near those figures and can only just creep into the 40s when really trying at constant speed on the motorway circa 70 mph or less. Some average speed limit 50 always helps.

26 MILE commute 70% motorway which I try to keep to 60mph (2,000 revs in 6th manual gearbox). We have a quarry near to my home which can add 5 minutes to the journey in either direction. I also have to contend with 14 roundabouts each way which I try not to stop at by looking well ahead and anticipating the traffic flow because unnecessary braking and acceleration wastes a lot of fuel. By the time I pull off the motorway I am usually showing 48-50mpg on the computer. Final couple of answers journey time varies between 35 (good day) and 48 minutes (bad day) and average speed can vary from as low 32mph to 43mph. Hope this helps explain my above average economy. The last tank included a trip to East London for a friend's funeral (she was only 58) and after 426miles there was still 90 mile range left. Computer showed average was 46.9mpg but calculated at 46.00mpg which is still the best tank average I have achieved and meant I could have driven 506 miles on a full 50 litre tankful!:biggrin:

13 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

Interesting innit.  Can't help but wonder if I drove ah's car, would I not notice the fuel difference, and equally if ah was to drive mine would they then notice it?

Similarly, if Shy was to drive mine, would the mpg go up, and if I drove theirs, would I get as good mpg?

I was driving like a saint on the way up to Norfolk, even reading the road ahead and speeding up a tad on the downhill's to get momentum for the up's.  Like Kahuna, I have to really try to get anywhere near the 40's.

Gaz:o

Because I have so much torque low in the rev range (467NM at 2,800revs) it enables me to make quick progress without having to rev the engine much, so you have to adapt your driving style. The gearshift indicator tells me to change into 5th at just 32mph but I usually stay in 4th because I don't **** to labour the engine.The last tank when I averaged 46mpg I even had a quick blast upto 150mph to see off 3 new Ford Focus RS on the M1 (very naughty). If you drove my car you would definately use more fuel than me because it would take you a while to get used to the extra performance. 50-70 in 3rd takes just 3.2 seconds and even in 6th gear it's 5.8 seconds!

150mph and still averaged more than I have ever done. :D

My long term average is currently showing 29 but this is mostly short journeys and city driving.

Interesting your indicated and actual economy is only 0.9mpg out. I've read before that being remapped can make this rather inaccurate but good to know it is still pretty much bang on.

3 minutes ago, Kahunajb said:

150mph and still averaged more than I have ever done. :D

My long term average is currently showing 29 but this is mostly short journeys and city driving.

Interesting your indicated and actual economy is only 0.9mpg out. I've read before that being remapped can make this rather inaccurate but good to know it is still pretty much bang on.

Yeah when the RS trio went by me I was averaging 42.8mpg (indicated) but it was just too tempting so dropped it down to fourth and floored it. Within a few seconds had to flash the lead car in the outside lane because I don't think he realised just how fast I was going! As I lifted off, didn't have to brake because it was early in the morning, looked down to see my average had plummeted to 35.8mpg SHOCK HORROR. On the first bit of my commute 30-50mph urban limits normally showing 27-33mpg depending on traffic/train!:notme:

This is my absolute best, on a run from Camberley, Surrey to Dorking, Surrey on the M3 and M25. Was on expenses for mileage so cruised all the way at 60mph. :biggrin:

On a normal run I get around 35-36MPG per tank. That is on a mixture of motorway and crawling in traffic.

mpg.jpg

6 minutes ago, ScoobyVRS said:

This is my absolute best, on a run from Camberley, Surrey to Dorking, Surrey on the M3 and M25. Was on expenses for mileage so cruised all the way at 60mph. :biggrin:

On a normal run I get around 35-36MPG per tank. That is on a mixture of motorway and crawling in traffic.

mpg.jpg

SNAP in a stage 1 VRS245!:D

image.jpg

4 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Gaz

Hi Gaz might have the answer to one of your questions as I borrowed SWMBO Karoq today and managed to beat her Long Term average by 10mpg. To be fair to her she doesn't use the Motorway and probably has a much worse commute than me although she travels the same distance as me to work. Sorry for publishing 1.5Tsi fuel consumption before someone tells me off!:blink:

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Gaz

It's a funny one isn't it, no two cars are the same, no two drivers are the same, no two journeys are the same etc. I can achieve low to mid 40s door to door without even trying (but sticking within speed limits) on my 23 mile commute.

CKfiI7.jpg

My long term average over 3500 miles was almost 40mpg. This includes the short trips I do at weekend taking the kids places, Mrs shopping etc.

Utwk3E.jpg

My best ever long distance effort was over 55mpg:

GdPKva.jpg

All on Tesco's boggo 95. I've never managed to break the typical mid 40's on my work commute with 99. Genuinely don't know what I'll replace it with in the near future, it's blend of performance, practicality and overall running costs are fantastic.

Edited by ahenners

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That 55.9MPG is impressive because my recent 130 mile average was 48.4MPG however it did take 4 hours!:crying:

Yeah I was pretty happy with that. I hit some stop/start traffic about 25 miles into the journey, on a clear run I can probably do it in closer to 2 hours and possibly even better mpg.

Edited by ahenners