Question on New Kody Edition

Hi Folks

Finally picked up the Bear today, I love it so far.

With the car should I have recieved a Sim Card free for a year for the Wi fi hot spot in the car, or have I misread and its one year free infotainment that I get?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Elephantstone76 said:

its one year free infotainment that I get

This. You have to provide your own data... you can use a SIM card (a 24month / 24GB '3' PAYG one from Amazon seems to be best value), connect to your phone, or connect it to WiFi (obviously only works when stationary unless the WiFi is moving with you, such as your phone!).

You can't, however, use a SIM card /and/ configure a WiFi connection at the same time (i.e. use mobile data when out and about, use home WiFi when at home), which is a bit annoying.

The car has a SIM installed for the emergency assist. However it does not have a SIM to cover your data usage for the online services on the infotainment and for connecting to the Skoda Connect app. You will need to get a SIM for that and plug it into the unit in the glovebox. Various SIM deals as mentioned above. Generally uses a few hundred meg a month so a Gb will more than cover the needs of the car ..

19 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

...you can use a SIM card (a 24month / 24GB '3' PAYG one from Amazon seems to be best value), connect to your phone, or connect it to WiFi (obviously only works when stationary unless the WiFi is moving with you, such as your phone!).

Is this the one you got?

Capture.thumb.JPG.249305ea4944fcd07228f76b3b956ea0.JPG

Assuming a few hundred Mb per month 5Gb should be ample? Would this work?

Capture1.JPG.94fe386ecb33ad0894eff8a7ce40edb5.JPG

What exactly will this enable me to do!? :D

Has anyone actually found much benefit from this service? I've used the hot spot off the phone a few times but other than traffic, i can't really see a huge amount that i'd use it for. Maybe i'm missing something (like reading the handbook :D)

Edited by Shevtheblue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Is this the one you got?

Yes. But I think it was £40 when I got it. The price does fluctuate up and down though.

8 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

What exactly will this enable me to do!? :D

Use all the infotainment online stuff (weather, news, etc.).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shevtheblue said:

Has anyone actually found much benefit from this service?

It's all a bit 'meh' really. The traffic is much more detailed than just the normal TMS stuff that I had in the Octavia (and I assume the Kodiaq falls back on if it has no Internet connection, but who knows?). The 'news' is just RSS feeds, and is pointless. The 'weather' is quite neat, and if you have a destination set in the Nav it shows you the weather for there (simply clever!).

All in all, worth sticking a SIM card in to use for the first year whilst it is there for 'free'. As to whether or not I'll pay for further years, undecided yet.

2 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

It's all a bit 'meh' really. The traffic is much more detailed than just the normal TMS stuff that I had in the Octavia (and I assume the Kodiaq falls back on if it has no Internet connection, but who knows?). The 'news' is just RSS feeds, and is pointless. The 'weather' is quite neat, and if you have a destination set in the Nav it shows you the weather for there (simply clever!).

All in all, worth sticking a SIM card in to use for the first year whilst it is there for 'free'. As to whether or not I'll pay for further years, undecided yet.

Thought as much, you could probably do all that stuff using Android Auto (although i'm still trying to find good apps that work with that!). Bit off-topic, but on the subject of AA i have noticed that it crashes sometimes and seems to reload itself. IMO it looks like the unit runs out of memory and then clears it and reloads, i've noticed this mostly when playing music through one of the supported apps. If my OnePlus phone supported MirrorLink i'd probably be using that, assuming it works well.

3 minutes ago, Shevtheblue said:

i have noticed that it crashes sometimes and seems to reload itself

Yeah, CarPlay is so much better. :D

(not really)

Oh, and forgot to mention looking up petrol prices and car parking spaces - not sure where it gets the info from but it does seem to be accurate for the petrol prices at least (most of the car parks anywhere near me just say unknown). Again, all very neat, but never use it and not sure I'll be paying for it next year.

1 minute ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Yeah, CarPlay is so much better. :D

(not really)

Oh, and forgot to mention looking up petrol prices and car parking spaces - not sure where it gets the info from but it does seem to be accurate for the petrol prices at least (most of the car parks anywhere near me just say unknown). Again, all very neat, but never use it and not sure I'll be paying for it next year.

heh, you could probably just use google assistant (or Siri, in your case) to do the same things without even touching the screen :D

• 1 month later...

If you don't want to pay for an individual sim to go in your Kodi. There are a range of apps out there that will automate enabling your wifi hotspot on your phone as soon as it's connected via bluetooth to your car. (this is only available to android users though) 

I use this one myself. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carspot.wifi But there are other options available. 

Saves you some pennies on a independent sim card for your Kodi and the hassle of having to manually enable your wifi hotspot on your phone each time you get into your car. Especially if you have your bluetooth enabled at all times. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 15:50, jasoncmiles said:

The car has a SIM installed for the emergency assist. However it does not have a SIM to cover your data usage for the online services on the infotainment and for connecting to the Skoda Connect app. You will need to get a SIM for that and plug it into the unit in the glovebox. Various SIM deals as mentioned above. Generally uses a few hundred meg a month so a Gb will more than cover the needs of the car ..

Guys I have an Edition spec,  and while i can see the glove box has two SD Card slots I cant see any slots for placing a SIM card. I am very sure that the car that we test drove had a space between the two SD cards for a SIM card to be placed but not in my Edition. Has the the SIM card slot been moved?

Okay so just checked the glove box  and definitely no SIM card slot. This Edition was purchased from Stock and Pre-registered by the garage in July 18. No optional extras have been added, just a 'standard' Edition model. The car we test drove last weekend had the SIM card slot and that was the SEL model. 

Have contacted the dealer.

IMG_1519.JPG

Edited by TheWildHaggis

Do you definitely have the Columbus head unit (large touch screen, no physical knobs)? 

See here: Kodiaq connectivity

Update: Just looked in the manual and only the columbus comes with the glovebox unit, so as jasoncmiles said, something must have changed.

Edited by gojoholo

30 minutes ago, gojoholo said:

Do you definitely have the Columbus head unit (large touch screen, no physical knobs)?

As the Columbus is standard spec on the SEL and Edition, you'd hope so... if not, something has gone /very/ wrong.

It appears that I do not have the Columbus head unit. The spec sheet indicates that the SEL has it installed as default and that the Edition should have the same?????

image.png.fb958dd243b3614dd6c23c1da9c04720.pngimage.png.64ad147f587cc22c42f6913953dca5d4.png

The head unit in my car is;

IMG_1528.thumb.JPG.1b40f169cf9985d95c77ae7bbac2cb57.JPG

Which looks identical the Amundsen!

Waiting for dealer to call me back.

Edited by TheWildHaggis

But you DO have the CD/DVD drive which (I now realise) only comes with Columbus. So what does your head unit (in the dashboard) look like?

Update: I see you have added the photo of the head unit. Looks like you have the Amundsen head unit (And external module?). Weird.

Edited by gojoholo

Hi 

Leather Seats, front ones are heated, lane assists/blind spot monitoring/ Light assist. The receipt from the dealer lists the car as an Edition,

IMG_1529.thumb.JPG.9422004a09307b3267c92755eb3765b5.JPG

Edited by TheWildHaggis
Attempt to change img orientation.

27 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

As the Columbus is standard spec on the SEL and Edition, you'd hope so... if not, something has gone /very/ wrong.

Looks like something has gone very wrong!