mileage correction & ex lease/pcp cars

2 hours ago, dsj20v said:

I looked at a octy vrs pre f/l 230 in meteor grey at a local skoda dealer, it look nice and i almost bought it, however i got a friend to check on the skoda portal just to see if it had any warranty work , and it had new hubs fitted along with wheel, it was also showing 31k yet on car it was 20k, this was also ex lease and only about 2mths ago 

how much was that up for? my 230 has 7.5k on the clock and thinking of trading in but not sure where values lie these days..

3 hours ago, dsj20v said:

I looked at a octy vrs pre f/l 230 in meteor grey at a local skoda dealer, it look nice and i almost bought it, however i got a friend to check on the skoda portal just to see if it had any warranty work , and it had new hubs fitted along with wheel, it was also showing 31k yet on car it was 20k, this was also ex lease and only about 2mths ago 

An out there suggestion but, there wasn’t a miles and kilometre mix up going on here?  20k miles is around 32k kilometres.

1 hour ago, marko said:

how much was that up for? my 230 has 7.5k on the clock and thinking of trading in but not sure where values lie these days..

Think they trade around £14k and retail around £17k obv dep on mileage, i bought mine last week and love it, shame yours wasnt up 4weeks ago 

Edited by dsj20v
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 12:56, Scot5 said:

By far the biggest problem is the authorities turning a blind eye. Seem to remember reading about this - it's something like no dealer has been prosecuted in the past 5 years (may be longer) for selling a car with incorrect mileage. It's a bit like mobile phone usage in cars - the law talks a good game, we've just had a reminder today of the penalties (up to £200 and 6 points) it's just that few people are ever prosecuted.

I suppose the problem here - in both cases - is not unwillingness to prosecute but lack of manpower to do so. 

They’re pretty low priority crimes so with police forces stretched it’s no wonder they don’t happen. Not saying it’s right, by the way. 

Edited by maffyou

19 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I suppose the problem here - in both cases - is not unwillingness to prosecute but lack of manpower to do so. 

They’re pretty low priority crimes so with police forces stretched it’s no wonder they don’t happen. Not saying it’s right, by the way. 

i believe trading standards are only interested in prosecuting dealers and even then, not many get prosecuted.

years ago in the days of arfur daly back street garages, clocking was mostly done by traders.

nowadays  the clocking being done by the individuals who take out the lease/ pcp etc,

its not helped by how easy it is to find a friendly mileage correction place only too willing to take yer cash  🙄

Trading standards or police, it comes down to the same thing, time and manpower. 

How is easy it to prove they’ve been altered? And even if you do that how do you prove the dealer was complicit in it? I suppose there are much easier battles to win. 

as an update to my post, I've been offered £15k trade in at a local Cupra dealership, didn't think this was too bad, would probably be considerably more headache to sell privately for more...

VCDS will show up the mileage recorded on the ECU and this can then be compared with what is shown on the odometer

the text file that comes up says that its especially important for the european market where mileage fraud is rampant!!

My vehicle had 122K miles on the clock when I bought it, VCDS conffirmed that the ECU had a similar amount, it can vary by up to 5% because the ECU measures engine running hours and calculates from that.

I have added 10K but VCDS now shows the car as having done closer to 200K because I have fitted a re-mapped ECU which came from a higher mileage scrap vehicle.

So breakers are probably selling matched pairs of low mileage instrument binnacles and ECU's.