Looking to buy a Yeti

unerdanielson

On 28/06/2018 at 10:38, kenfowler3966 said:

However for true economy driving it would be best not to use the cruise control as it wastes fuel trying to keep the set speed going up hills, and then engine brakes to keep down to it on the decline. I would think best economy is allow it to slow slightly going up a hill and then speed up again using gravity on the descent to maintain an average speed

Ahh, so you are the person who I keep passing going up gradients on motorways then passes me going down a gradient! It is so much easier, and safer, to set your cruise control and let it work uphill and down dale. Having lived in the USA for many years and getting used to everyone on freeways maintaining steady speeds (everyone uses cruise over there) the traffic is evenly spaced and cruises along in perfect harmony - well most of the time! I found it strange on returning to UK that traffic bunched so much on motorways until I worked out that "most" people slowed down on up gradients and speeded up on down gradients so that traffic ended up bunching together. If everyone switched on cruise, harmonised speed with the traffic flow and then left it ALONE the bunching would largely be avoided and it would be so much less stressful for all.

No its not me, I just set it at the exact calibrated permitted speed  when possible with traffic, and ignore the increased fuel use.

I agree with you and it would be so much better if we all travelled at the same speed. Thats how managed motorways work. Slow down the traffic and you can get more cars past a given point in the same time as they all drive closer together.

Unfortunatley the vast majority of cars in the UK don't have cruise as a standard fit even now. I dislike driving my wifes car as it doesn't have cruise, so is difficult to keep to a constant speed. I was a convert back in 1983 when I fitted one as an after market kit that worked great. Moved the kit on to 3 more cars as I changed vehicles, and was very reliable and easy to use.

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

No its not me, I just set it at the exact calibrated permitted speed  when possible with traffic, and ignore the increased fuel use.

I agree with you and it would be so much better if we all travelled at the same speed. Thats how managed motorways work. Slow down the traffic and you can get more cars past a given point in the same time as they all drive closer together.

Unfortunatley the vast majority of cars in the UK don't have cruise as a standard fit even now. I dislike driving my wifes car as it doesn't have cruise, so is difficult to keep to a constant speed. I was a convert back in 1983 when I fitted one as an after market kit that worked great. Moved the kit on to 3 more cars as I changed vehicles, and was very reliable and easy to use.

I find it amazing that all cars are not fitted with cruise control. They all seem to have every other gadget as standard but cruise control is not thought of as a safety feature so counts as an "extra". Hopefully this will change as our roads get more and more congested - I read that automatics are gaining popularity at an increasing rate and I am sure that is due to congested roads and the continual stress on the left leg - clutch in, clutch out - repeat indefinitely for ever!!!

Edited by Expatman

50 minutes ago, Expatman said:

I find it amazing that all cars are not fitted with cruise control. They all seem to have every other gadget as standard but cruise control is not thought of as a safety feature so counts as an "extra". Hopefully this will change as our roads get more and more congested - I read that automatics are gaining popularity at an increasing rate and I am sure that is due to congested roads and the continual stress on the left leg - clutch in, clutch out - repeat indefinitely for ever!!!

I think that the move towards automatics is gaining momentum in part due to the ability of the designers to programme the car to maximise the fuel consumption under all conditions. Good adaptive cruise control gives great comfort and efficient driving, just try driving a 100miles of so on the M1 during rush hour. The Subaru XV 2018 I’ve just purchased is only available with an automatic and only with petrol engines.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freedie said:

Why?

Most 100 miles sections have at least a couple of 50 mile road works and during rush hour the traffic build up can be monumental leading to the usual compression at junctions.  With my ACC, adaptive cruise control, on I just let it take car of the acceleration and braking.  The system I now enjoy can “see” about 130 metres ahead and is able to resolve what is in front of the car, van, car, lorry etc.. and will gracefully brake the car to a standstill, hold the car on the brakes and then signal the car ahead has moved, a slight touch of the accelerator and the ACC will control the acceleration to set speed. I’m able to select the rate of acceleration In the settings and control the gap to the cars in front on the move.

Ive found that this in comparison to a clutch or auto, braking and accelerating manually a pain in the BTM.  I can concentrate on what’s going on around me and let the technology take the strain.

I’m sure others may not be happy to use the cars ability in this way but I’ve found it invaluable.  

• 1 month later...

I'm just about to buy a Yeti, 63 plate so 2013 model but with the 'revamped' look... does anyone know where the 12v input is? I've test driven it but didn't look at the time. I know the Aux is in the mid armrest but wondering how I could charge my phone at same time as playing songs from my phone through the Aux? Thanks for your help. X

Guessing the car has Bluetooth, so could stream music that way?

My 2014 Yeti doesn't have any built-in USB power points, so I use these (both in the front between the seats and in the boot).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Motorola-black/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534548417&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=anker+car+usb+charger+2+port&dpPl=1&dpID=41N%2BBYEMLiL&ref=plSrch

8 hours ago, NewYetiWales said:

I'm just about to buy a Yeti, 63 plate so 2013 model but with the 'revamped' look... does anyone know where the 12v input is? I've test driven it but didn't look at the time. I know the Aux is in the mid armrest but wondering how I could charge my phone at same time as playing songs from my phone through the Aux? Thanks for your help. X

On my 2012 (pre face-lift), there's a 12v under the handbrake and one in the boot :)

9 hours ago, NewYetiWales said:

So it’s had a new front end? 

On the f/l the 12v socket is just left of the handbrake and in aux in is über the arm rest. 933E8143-30B4-4D40-B880-EB376EB40C6A.thumb.jpeg.0bcdfc386393406bc906d62510a2b2de.jpeg